GDT: Game #5 - 10.18.14 - vs Philadelphia - 7:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Why? Connauton is playing fine. Only D not to be on the ice for a goal against tonight.

Would like them to switch around the pairs a little bit, maybe try Daley with Oleksiak and Dillion and Connauton, or Connauton Daley, Goligoski Dillion. Eventually a D will need to me moved out for this D corps to improve, better to figure out which one now then later.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Daley and Goligoski has been working and is the closest thing we've had to a top pairing since Zubov was here. Don't break that up just to try new things.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Would like them to switch around the pairs a little bit, maybe try Daley with Oleksiak and Dillion and Connauton, or Connauton Daley, Goligoski Dillion. Eventually a D will need to me moved out for this D corps to improve, better to figure out which one now then later.

Agreed. We either need to trade one of Daley or Goligoski as part of a deal for a #1, big body with skill on the back end, or else split Daley and Goose up after getting a more physical, defensively sound, large defensemen for them to put on the top pairing with Dales.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Why? Connauton is playing fine. Only D not to be on the ice for a goal against tonight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you one of the guys around here who criticize the hell out of plus/minus? If so, pointing out that Connauton was the only D not on the ice for a goal against is a pretty bland critique of his game.

I continue to be thoroughly unimpressed with him. He gets out-muscled regularly in puck battles along the boards and behind the net. If you were to take the names off the backs of the jerseys and watch him and Nemeth play you'd think 37 was the offensive minded D. Connauton hardly ever ventures more than three feet inside the opponents' blue line, plays it safe, and plays a generally unremarkable game. I don't hate the guy but he is the kind of player that if he is in your top 6 for long periods of time people have a right to question the defense. I like him in that 7th D spot though, ready and able to step in if he needs to.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
While I'm pretty meh on Connauton nowadays, he was +10 Corsi last night. Did pretty well considering how poor of an effort the defense put together.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you one of the guys around here who criticize the hell out of plus/minus? If so, pointing out that Connauton was the only D not on the ice for a goal against is a pretty bland critique of his game.
You must not have paid much attention to my posts as I've always been a strong proponent of GF/on ice & GA/on ice which is different from +/-.

Is it any wonder that he plays it safe with how the coaching staff utilizes him? It's like they want to coach the offense out of him, kind of like how Daley was handled as a young player.

But yeah, in a 6-5 game with 5 D I do consider it significant that he didn't get scored on. He consistently moved the puck forward by passing to forwards' tape to exit the zone. He kept the play to the outside when it was in his zone. He didn't flop around on the ice or take stupid penalties. More games like this and his confidence will start to build. Of course the last thing that should happen now is pair him with Oleksiak, which means that is what will happen.
You set the bar way too low for your flavor of the month young player.
Nothing of substance.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
You must not have paid much attention to my posts as I've always been a strong proponent of GF/on ice & GA/on ice which is different from +/-.

Is it any wonder that he plays it safe with how the coaching staff utilizes him? It's like they want to coach the offense out of him, kind of like how Daley was handled as a young player.

But yeah, in a 6-5 game with 5 D I do consider it significant that he didn't get scored on. He consistently moved the puck forward by passing to forwards' tape to exit the zone. He kept the play to the outside when it was in his zone. He didn't flop around on the ice or take stupid penalties. More games like this and his confidence will start to build. Of course the last thing that should happen now is pair him with Oleksiak, which means that is what will happen.

Nothing of substance.

Connauton has the best zone entry of any of our D. Seems like nearly every time he's on the ice he gets it deep in the zone.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I think it speaks volumes that in a game with only 5 D he played only 18:30 and everybody else was clocking in over 25 minutes of ice time. He was sheltered throughout the game and the fact that he didn't get scored on is not so much indicative of his great play but that he didn't play often against anyone of substance.

You are presuming they are trying to coach the offense out of him. If you have anything more substantive than that I'm sure we'll see it in the form of quotes from the coaching staff like we did with Daley. The way I see it is we have a player who is supposed to drive the play from the blue line, which if he did might earn him some PP time, but that has routinely given very little hint of offensive prowess in regular season NHL duty.

Injuries aside, if there is one defenseman who has shown that he might be a useful addition to the PP it's Nemeth, not Connauton. And as to the "flopping around taking bad penalties" comment, I'm assuming you're talking about Daley. Guy scored two PP goals and was the victim of a ref blocking an outlet pass, a puck going in off his skate as he tried to guard the back door, and made the best of a bad situation with a funny bounce off the glass. All in all, Daley was one of our best players last night any way you slice it.

Lastly, of course the rookies will be paired up. They will be played against lesser competition and sheltered just like Connauton was against Philly. I expect to see all of the top 4 logging 23+ minutes.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Connauton has the best zone entry of any of our D. Seems like nearly every time he's on the ice he gets it deep in the zone.

Very subjective. I would argue Nemeth has been better at not only getting it deep but keeping possession in the offensive zone. Once set up in the offensive zone Connauton has been a virtual non-factor.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Injuries aside, if there is one defenseman who has shown that he might be a useful addition to the PP it's Nemeth, not Connauton.
This is such a weird and wrong statement I don't even know where to begin. I guess their histories and skillsets as players are meaningless.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This is such a weird and wrong statement I don't even know where to begin. I guess their histories and skillsets as players are meaningless.

How about you just begin. Explain it to me like I've never watched these players before or hockey for that matter. And try doing so without relying on their careers in junior hockey, Europe, or the AHL. Explain how the traits you see on the ice in the NHL show that Connauton is better suited to PP duty because frankly, I see just a guy out there.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I guess their histories and skillsets as players are meaningless.

They are in the sense that each league is different. There are slight variations of regulations between each and the quality of competition can also be a bit different: some being more developed, some less so.

Basically Glove is comparing the two in how they are currently playing in the NHL. You are basing off history in juniors, Europe, and the AHL. Quite often how one plays at one level doesn't translate at a higher level. A perfect example is Daley's numbers in juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad