GDT: Game 49 | Jackets at Canucks | 1/27 10:00 pm

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Laine has a great shot but in terms of goal scoring Marchenko is much more varied; a hard deflection and powering to the net tonight. Two goal types that Laine doesn’t seem to score.

“He’s not that type of player!!”

Yeah, THAT’S the problem.

Very rarely does Laine ever “attack” the net with the puck or even use his body/size to make plays with the puck anywhere else on the ice. It’d be fascinating to think what he would be without the physical size and reach he has.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
“He’s not that type of player!!”

Yeah, THAT’S the problem.

Very rarely does Laine ever “attack” the net with the puck or even use his body/size to make plays with the puck anywhere else on the ice. It’d be fascinating to think what he would be without the physical size and reach he has.
Watch the last game still one and see how good he played in this. But he's starting to p@ss me off with the positional play in the DZ. Yes, it's much better, but in his case it needs to be even more much better.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Larsen has no balls and Jarmo has an ego that gets in the way. I dont know if complacemy is what im worried about but im worried about them absolutely ruining the development of a player who had a very strong chance at being a good 2C
“Larsen has no balls”, is based on what exactly?? People would complain the same way if he was more outspoken and/or benched “high profile” players. Do people forget him calling out Laine on the bench, as an assistant coach??

Can anybody please explain how Sillinger’s “development” is getting ruined playing in the NHL?? It’s not his fault many people here on HFB severely overrated him and the management put him in the NHL. The Sillinger > Johnson comments were out there not very long ago. And is he not easily a top-12 offensive player in the organization?? (IMO not at center, at least right now)

IMO nothing to do with Sillinger looking “bad” or “worse” this year has anything to do with “development”. It’s that he’s playing a bigger role (and OUT of position) on an arguably as bad of an NHL team as you can get, as an “out of shape”/not physically matured human being, when talking playing hockey at the highest level in the world.

And other than physical maturity, age is also a factor regarding his “mental maturity”, or overall awareness/intelligence on the ice. This idea that he won’t (or shouldn’t) get in good physical condition playing in the NHL, is ridiculous. He has to put in the work either way, and THAT might be an actual problem, but, the only way to get used to, or “up” to NHL speed, is playing in the NHL. The issue is the “head” doesn’t work like the “legs”, you can’t simply put the work in, and get results. He’s no Jack Roslovic, but, Cole also ain’t no Mike Sillinger, that’s to say other than his physical limitations of essentially still being a kid, that could easily change in the near future, his decision making on the ice, which I think is a main concern/problem, might not change much over time, and him playing in the AHL or not, didn’t or wouldn’t impact that very much,IMO.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
“Larsen has no balls”, is based on what exactly?? People would complain the same way if he was more outspoken and/or benched “high profile” players. Do people forget him calling out Laine on the bench, as an assistant coach??

Can anybody please explain how Sillinger’s “development” is getting ruined playing in the NHL?? It’s not his fault many people here on HFB severely overrated him and the management put him in the NHL. The Sillinger > Johnson comments were out there not very long ago. And is he not easily a top-12 offensive player in the organization?? (IMO not at center, at least right now)

IMO nothing to do with Sillinger looking “bad” or “worse” this year has anything to do with “development”. It’s that he’s playing a bigger role (and OUT of position) on an arguably as bad of an NHL team as you can get, as an “out of shape”/not physically matured human being, when talking playing hockey at the highest level in the world.

And other than physical maturity, age is also a factor regarding his “mental maturity”, or overall awareness/intelligence on the ice. This idea that he won’t (or shouldn’t) get in good physical condition playing in the NHL, is ridiculous. He has to put in the work either way, and THAT might be an actual problem, but, the only way to get used to, or “up” to NHL speed, is playing in the NHL. The issue is the “head” doesn’t work like the “legs”, you can’t simply put the work in, and get results. He’s no Jack Roslovic, but, Cole also ain’t no Mike Sillinger, that’s to say other than his physical limitations of essentially still being a kid, that could easily change in the near future, his decision making on the ice, which I think is a main concern/problem, might not change much over time, and him playing in the AHL or not, didn’t or wouldn’t impact that very much,IMO.
Again the NHL isn’t a developmental league. There is no time for Sillinger to work on his shortcomings I.e., skating, positioning etc. Rushing guys to the NHL and expecting changes others than getting use to pace or situations isn’t doing him justice. That is the point, In the AHL they have time to work on these type of items.

Bigger jump from Major Junior to AHL, than AHL to the NHL.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Again the NHL isn’t a developmental league. There is no time for Sillinger to work on his shortcomings I.e., skating, positioning etc. Rushing guys to the NHL and expecting changes others than getting use to pace or situations isn’t doing him justice. That is the point, In the AHL they have time to work on these type of items.

Bigger jump from Major Junior to AHL, than AHL to the NHL.
It’s not a “developmental league”, but, with admittedly varying degrees, every team/organization uses their NHL teams to “develop” players. For right, and for wrong.

I know if the team is losing, people like to blame coaching and practices, but they do still have practice and optional/morning skates ALL THE TIME. That’s daily interaction with long time NHL veterans and even superstars like Patrik Laine. Also, with the bolded, you’re essentially proving my point. I’d argue Sillinger’s “shortcomings” can all actually be improved with NHL playing time. It doesn’t matter which jump is bigger, the level of speed and INTELLIGENCE at the NHL level is at an entire different level than the AHL, and that’s why almost all players have a “transition period” going between the AHL/NHL, that we are just going thru now with Sillinger a little bit sooner, while it admittedly may not help very much being apart of SUCH a bad team.

This idea that there’s “more time” to “get better” as an NHL player, in the AHL, is ridiculous. The PROBLEM, isn’t the amount of time he has, it’s what he is doing with all that time. Whether it’s Fortnite or all these guys out shopping for new outfits, maybe THATS the problem. These guys are professional athletes getting paid millions of dollars, being prepared physically is the last thing they (or we as fans) should be worried about. We have guys who are noticeably “weak”, “soft” or literally “tired” on the ice on a nightly basis, IMO.

But they LOOK GOOD!!

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I am not optimistic about KJ and Sillinger long term.

Which is really bad, because those two reaching their purported ceiling was pretty important for this team getting back to contention.
Wait .. your not optimistic on KJ , who has 23 points in 46 games as a rookie .. Im a bit worried about Cole , because his skating is bad , I don’t get the worry on KJ though

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
It’s not a “developmental league”, but, with admittedly varying degrees, every team/organization uses their NHL teams to “develop” players. For right, and for wrong.

I know if the team is losing, people like to blame coaching and practices, but they do still have practice and optional/morning skates ALL THE TIME. That’s daily interaction with long time NHL veterans and ever superstars like Patrik Laine. Also, with the bolded, you’re essentially proving my point. I’d argue Sillinger’s “shortcomings” can all actually be improved with NHL playing time. It doesn’t matter which jump is bigger, the level of speed and INTELLIGENCE at the NHL level is at an entire different level than the AHL, and that’s why almost all players have a “transition period” going between the AHL/NHL, that we are just going thru now with Sillinger a little bit sooner, while it may not help very much being apart of SUCH a bad team.

This idea that there’s “more time” to “get better” as an NHL player, in the AHL, is ridiculous. The PROBLEM, isn’t the amount of time he has, it’s what he is doing with all that time. Whether it’s Fortnite or all these guys out shopping for new outfits, maybe THATS the problem. These guys are professional athletes getting paid millions of dollars, being prepared physically is the last thing they (or we as fans) should be worried about. We have guys who are noticeably “weak”, “soft” or literally “tired” on the ice on a nightly basis, IMO.

But they LOOK GOOD!!
Sillinger knew his skating was sub par and yet they gifted him a slot going into the season. I don’t know Sillinger personally (seems like a good kid) but he is being taught that he is just fine for the NHL. Is he a workout warrior yea but bad habits are being formed.

This is exactly the opposite of proving your point. Sending him down and forcing him to work on items like skating is proving he isn’t a finished product. This forces him to address and work out shortcomings of his game. I would say the same for Boqvist on his defense skills. You want a player in the AHL that forces the internal push and growth. I would say that is part of our development issues with players. We really have feast or famine between our AHL club and the NHL club. The other is rushing them up in to the NHL and making them think their game is fine. Remember Sillinger is 19 and it isn’t a knock to send him down to get better. We want to set up for the long term.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I know if the team is losing, people like to blame coaching and practices, but they do still have practice and optional/morning skates ALL THE TIME. That’s daily interaction with long time NHL veterans and even superstars like Patrik Laine. Also, with the bolded, you’re essentially proving my point. I’d argue Sillinger’s “shortcomings” can all actually be improved with NHL playing time. It doesn’t matter which jump is bigger, the level of speed and INTELLIGENCE at the NHL level is at an entire different level than the AHL, and that’s why almost all players have a “transition period” going between the AHL/NHL, that we are just going thru now with Sillinger a little bit sooner, while it admittedly may not help very much being apart of SUCH a bad team.

But they LOOK GOOD!!

Cole Sillinger has a big problem with his skating technique. To fix it he has to relearn skating and re-wire his brain. That's hard to do because you revert to your bad technique in game action.

Practice between game days is not going to cut it. Not when you go directly back to skating the wrong way when the intense game action begins.

In the AHL they have several days for nothing but training in the middle of every week. It's a much better opportunity to focus on shortcomings. And the games frankly aren't as high stakes so we can monitor his skating and make sure he's doing it right. The pressure of the NHL makes it a bad place to do the experimental rewiring.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

But they LOOK GOOD!!
You're a real troll. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce