GDT: Game 49 | Jackets at Canucks | 1/27 10:00 pm

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This game reminds me of the Scott Howson era. Actually nothing nice to say aside from the fact a L gets the team closer to Bedard. Absolutely putrid 40 minutes vs a mediocre team not trying very hard. In particular puck dying way too often with Laine and Gaudreau when they should be the ones doing something good.

OK I will say something good - I THINK it was Bemstrom who stick checked Mikheyev to prevent a tap in goal.
You think an average team has Horvat, Miller, Petersson, etc.? The problem didn't in the roster.
I repeat, there were two tough games with Calgary and Edmonton plus changing time zone on the Wet, what is more difficult, players have issues.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Dude absolutely is a goal bloodhound. I would wish for clones but apparently the guy is allergic to assists so not sure how that’d work

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It took under 3 months for Marchenko to be a better goal scorer than Laine

(I’m kidding, kinda)
Marchenko has 24,4%. What do you think, will be score much time this %?
Laine was often injured Iand has 11,4%. If you don't know why, look how injuries he has had.
Bad example, very bad.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Marchenko has 24,4%. What do you think, will be score much time this %?
Laine was often injured Iand has 11,4%. If you don't know why, look how injuries he has had.
Bad example, very bad.
Yeah marchy’s goal totals are unsustainable because of shooting %, but I don’t know, he already seems like a better hockey player than Laine.

Laine is basically a PP merchant. Which is fine, but not at 8.5 million dollars.

Reactions: I3LI3

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
marchenko on pace for 41 goals over an 82 game season.

jackets lose, putting the pedal to the metal on the tank job. a great night. things you love to see

Reactions: ViD

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yeah marchy’s goal totals are unsustainable because of shooting %, but I don’t know, he already seems like a better hockey player than Laine.

Laine is basically a PP merchant. Which is fine, but not at 8.5 million dollars.
The way Laine has been playing, it’s not that surprising. I think even Bemstrom might overshadow him if he gets puck luck.

Lately Laine hasn’t done much other than one timer laser goals

marchenko on pace for 41 goals over an 82 game season.

jackets lose, putting the pedal to the metal on the tank job. a great night. things you love to see
That’s Columbus franchise record, btw

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine scores many goals even without PP not only in his position what he showed. But if anybody has similar shoot, it would e stupid to give him in the front of the net. I know you very like Kirill, me too but it isn't right.

The way Laine has been playing, it’s not that surprising. I think even Bemstrom might overshadow him if he gets puck luck.

Lately Laine hasn’t done much other than one timer laser goals

That’s Columbus franchise record, btw
Nothing? Create many chances, excellent for/backchecking. Is it nothing?

I know he has some problems but what you say isn't right.

Btw, his salary is $7,500,000 this season.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Nothing? Create many chances, excellent for/backchecking. Is it nothing?

I know he has some problems but what you say isn't right.

Btw, his salary is $7,500,000 this season.
Laine has so many turnovers every game that it overshadows any backchecking he does. He also nearly lost any creativity inside the offensive zone.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Marchenko is the real deal. He shouldn't get more than 10 mins/game going forward. Dude is trying to ruin the tank singlehandedly!

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Laine has a great shot but in terms of goal scoring Marchenko is much more varied; a hard deflection and powering to the net tonight. Two goal types that Laine doesn’t seem to score.
Marchenko plays a simpler game and spends more time in hard areas but his stickhandling is also quite fast which helps him to get into a shooting position in no time whereas Laine is more of an exterior forward who likes to curl around and just wait for a perfect shooting lane to unfold. The way he often slowly drags the puck from side to side before shooting isn't helping him to become more versatile scorer, opponents can easily read and block all shot attempts if you aren't quick enough with your moves.

Reactions: majormajor

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I only watched the highlights, living on the other side of the planet as I do, but I saw nothing of Johnson in that game (or Sillinger, but that hardly needs to be said this year). A lot of the Kuraly line, though, as usual.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I only watched the highlights, living on the other side of the planet as I do, but I saw nothing of Johnson in that game (or Sillinger, but that hardly needs to be said this year). A lot of the Kuraly line, though, as usual.

yup, KJ was nonexistent. probably awe struck being in his ‘home’ arena. sillinger looked lost as always. marchenko was obviously our best player and it wasn’t even close. laine looked horrid to me btw. dude fumbles pucks at an astonishing rate, oh and boqvist looked good. dudes real real good at keeping the puck in at the blue line

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
You think an average team has Horvat, Miller, Petersson, etc.? The problem didn't in the roster.
I repeat, there were two tough games with Calgary and Edmonton plus changing time zone on the Wet, what is more difficult, players have issues.

The Canucks have a nice collection of skilled players but little depth, an atrocious blue line and replacement level goaltending. Our own skilled guys should've done some damage but didn't accomplish anything 5v5.

Reactions: I3LI3

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine has so many turnovers every game that it overshadows any backchecking he does. He also nearly lost any creativity inside the offensive zone.
He has less of them. On the contrary, his backchecking has improved a lot. It seems to me that he won't get rid of that label. For example, yesterday he had a terrible turnover on the PP, followed by some excellent backchecking, but I have sense nobody saw that.

EDIT: of course I mean backcheking, his position play in DZ zone, although it's better, could be more better.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The Canucks have a nice collection of skilled players but little depth, an atrocious blue line and replacement level goaltending. Our own skilled guys should've done some damage but didn't accomplish anything 5v5.
And now you look at our players and d-men. No, Nucks didn't bad play before the roster. Remember how we played under Torts in the season when he came. Also our players were tired. I don't imagine how the will play against Seattle.

compare:

FORWARDS:
Kuzmenko -- Pettersson -- Pederson
Mikheev -- Horvat -- Boeser
Joshua -- Miller -- Garland
Dries -- Lazar -- Studnicka

versus
Gaudreau -- Jenner -- Laine
Johnson -- Sillinger -- Marchenko
Foudy -- Roslovic -- Bemstrom
Robinson -- Kuraly -- Olivier

D-MEN:
Hughes, Bear
Ekman-Larsson, Schenn
Stillman, Myers

versus
Berni, Gudbranson
Gavrikov, Peeke
Bayreuther, Boqvist

CBJ players are young. No one has 30 and more, 6 forwards from 12 are younger then 25, 3 d-men from 6 are younger then 25 years. I know, they will be better but now they don't experiences.

Last edited:

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
He has less them. On the contrary, his backchecking has improved a lot. It seems to me that he won't get rid of that label. For example, yesterday he had a turnover on the PP, followed by some excellent backchecking, but nobody sees that.
It's unfortune, but you might be right, that he won't get rid of that label. Last 5 games he has 8 points and couple of those he has been the best player by far. He has improve a lot in his defencive play. Now he makes few bad plays and he is worst player ever and doesn't do anything good for the team. He is still again almost PPG player in worst team in NHL.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I am not optimistic about KJ and Sillinger long term.

Which is really bad, because those two reaching their purported ceiling was pretty important for this team getting back to contention.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I am not optimistic about KJ and Sillinger long term.

Which is really bad, because those two reaching their purported ceiling was pretty important for this team getting back to contention.
For KJ, I think a slump in the second half of his first pro season is not a major cause for concern.

The concerns about Sillinger, to me, feel entirely justified. And Chinakhov has me nervous, too.

Reactions: CBJx614 and ViD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad