Post-Game Talk: GAME 48 - Tampa Bay 3 BRUINS 2 F

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I am not arguing how dominate the Bruins have been against the whole NHL.

What I am saying is that coaches are looking for a blueprint to beat the Bs.

Tampa just gave them one.

I still think the Bruins should and would be the favorite in any series played today by far.
And what is that blueprint? Wait for Carlo to make 2 mistakes and capitalize off them? People were saying Seattle gave the league a blue print to beat the Bruins and then we won six straight. It's not like Tampa ran away with this game, it was close.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I am not arguing how dominate the Bruins have been against the whole NHL.

What I am saying is that coaches are looking for a blueprint to beat the Bs.

Tampa just gave them one.

I still think the Bruins should and would be the favorite in any series played today by far.

What’s the blueprint?

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
What’s the blueprint?
Hope the linesman makes an illegal puck drop in the Bruins end after a whistle stops play because a Bruin crashes into the end boards and can't get up.

When you look a the season series as a whole and the records, the Bruins are without a doubt the team to beat if they are healthy. Adding players should help even more.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The final, frantic shot came off the sublime stick of David Pastrnak, turned away by Andrei Vasilevskiy with five seconds left in the game. The clock ticked down, and the victorious Lightning skated into a 3-2 victory celebration at the Bruins’ expense Thursday.

An 11th straight home victory for Tampa Bay, the end of a six-game winning streak for Boston, and only the sixth regulation loss overall on this crazy-good Bruins season. Yet as disappointing as those facts may sound in the moment, there exists in sports such a thing as a good loss. And for the Bruins, who long ago made it clear this season is about so much more than regular-season records or the Presidents’ Trophy, the outcome of Thursday night’s game was secondary to the level of play displayed within.

The Bruins need games like this one, fueled by rivalry and emotion. Did you see Connor Clifton pummel Corey Perry after taking an unwarranted first-period elbow?

The Bruins need games like this one, elevated by high-level play on both ends. Did you see Pastrnak’s stick work on the Bruins’ third-period goal that tied the game at 2?

The Bruins need games like this one, jangled by nerves and bursting with stakes. Did you watch Linus Ullmark keep them in the game time and time again, his 32 saves untarnished by the goals he gave up, rooted as they were in his defense’s mistakes?

The Bruins need games like this one, stained as it was by a couple of head-scratching miscues. Did you see that disjointed penalty kill that left shooter Brandon Hagel all alone, or the ugly defensive tango that put Ullmark on his back and his goal mouth wide open for Victor Hedman’s game-winner?

The Bruins need games like this one, indicative as it was of what it will be like come playoff time, when mistakes are magnified and intensity electrified.

Why else would coach Jim Montgomery come out of the loss nearly grinning as he marveled, “It was a great game, wasn’t it?”

“I thought it was back and forth all night long,” Montgomery said. “The biggest difference, and this is where we can grow, is a couple of details and goals against where we made mistakes in how we want to play things.

“It’s an opportunity. That’s the difference in the playoffs, and that was a playoff-type game. You need to execute in big moments and tonight unfortunately we didn’t, but it’s an opportunity for us to learn and grow and get better.”

Good for Montgomery for continuing to pound the right message, that no matter what type of assault his team makes on those regular-season records, that no matter how many times they prove their mettle by overcoming early deficits or dominating second- and third-period play, they can still get better. This is far from a finished product when the finish line is defined in only one way: the Stanley Cup.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
And what is that blueprint? Wait for Carlo to make 2 mistakes and capitalize off them? People were saying Seattle gave the league a blue print to beat the Bruins and then we won six straight. It's not like Tampa ran away with this game, it was close.
Carlo had a pretty crappy game judging from the eye test, not sure what the statistics say.

Reactions: Gordoff

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
In Carlo's defense the last goal was a quick 2-1 with only Carlo back. You can easily find others mistakes that actually caused that odd man rush late in a tied game. I find it unfortunate he interfered with Ullmark by quickly backpedaling left alone, but not his "mistake".

Reactions: hrdpuk

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This one left a bad taste.

Was it Tom McVie who coined the phrase “Catch up hockey is losing hockey”?

This team has the “it” factor as well as the talent to stage epic comebacks.

But you don’t want to be relying on those against the iron of the league.

Tampa has lost a step, but they still have that experience factor and they’re still the Kings of the East until someone knocks them off when it counts.

Loving the ride, but there’s only so much you can prove in January. The true tests will come this spring.

1674856338772.gif

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Carlo had a pretty crappy game judging from the eye test, not sure what the statistics say.
No mystery they went right after him, he's soft in his end and continues to make bone headed plays with or with out the puck. He was being abused by Tampa

Sure he kills penalties but would love to bump him down to the third pairing and try to pick up a top 4 guy to replace his minutes up there

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
No mystery they went right after him, he's soft in his end and continues to make bone headed plays with or with out the puck. He was being abused by Tampa

Sure he kills penalties but would love to bump him down to the third pairing and try to pick up a top 4 guy to replace his minutes up there
He's good at stick checking with his giant sequoia of a stick but he's soft, slow, frequently(maybe that's too harsh of a word but) makes - as you said, boneheaded plays.

So if you're a skilled team like Tampa, for sure you go after the big slow non-physical defenseman. No Brainerd imo.

Reactions: duffy and 4ORRBRUIN

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He's good at stick checking with his giant sequoia of a stick but he's soft, slow, frequently(maybe that's too harsh of a word but) makes - as you said, boneheaded plays.

So if you're a skilled team like Tampa, for sure you go after the big slow non-physical defenseman. No Brainerd imo.
Is Tampa the only skilled team we’ve played? If not, how is it that Carlo has great defensive metrics this year - top tier in the league - while playing other skilled teams?

Reactions: hrdpuk

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
But why? What's the motive?

Betting on games, personal grudges?
C'mon now. The evidence is there, the motive is to make even the weak sisters look like they have a chance every night. Also, the NHL pushes the "parity" farce. Being the Devil's advocate is cute and all but if it isn't obvious to you then you're not paying attention or just playing Devils advocate.
Also, IMO yes, the on-ice officials do like or dislike some players and teams due to what teams they rooted for prior to
getting the job. Sometimes it's subtle usually it's pretty obvious.
All of that and, of course in my and many, many, many other fans opinions, Bettman is a D-bag puppet.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maroon sounds like a weenie

Gee Pat, did you grab Jack by the neck and ragdoll him? It didn't sound as though he accepted the "apology" which makes me wonder WTF did he want Edwards to say!?! Pretend over-sensitive bully is all Maroon is. All of a sudden Maroon is the savior of the overweight? I'm over-weight yet somehow I don't feel as though he represents me.

Last edited:

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Maybe the blueprint is wait until Clifton fall on the goalie and knocks him out of the game with an upper body injury.
In Carlo's defense the last goal was a quick 2-1 with only Carlo back. You can easily find others mistakes that actually caused that odd man rush late in a tied game. I find it unfortunate he interfered with Ullmark by quickly backpedaling left alone, but not his "mistake".

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
C'mon now. The evidence is there, the motive is to make even the weak sisters look like they have a chance every night. Also, the NHL pushes the "parity" farce. Being the Devil's advocate is cute and all but if it isn't obvious to you then you're not paying attention or just playing Devils advocate.
Also, IMO yes, the on-ice officials do like or dislike some players and teams due to what teams they rooted for prior to
getting the job. Sometimes it's subtle usually it's pretty obvious.
All of that and, of course in my and many, many, many other fans opinions, Bettman is a D-bag puppet.

I've been watching NHL since the 1960's. Guess what? The officiating has always been this way. At times worse.

You honestly think the league instructs the on-ice officials to try to keep weaker teams in the games? There is zero evidence of that.

What teams they rooted for before they got the job? That's really absurd.

I'm not playing devil's advocate. Just trying to use a little common sense.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
It's the old Red Wings interfere game . Grab, clutch, chip, hold players to slow down transition. The teams he mentioned play that game very well.

Exactly.

As I said in the OP, it gives very good teams a chance to beat the Bruins in 7. Thats all. The Bruins are more than good enough to win 16 playoff games this year.

Its what the Blues did in 2019. Physical, interfering, throw off timing and chemistry plays.

If the Bruins can figure out the 3rd line, the could be the juggernaut in the playoffs they are in the regular season right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad