GDT: Game 48: Sharks vs. Canucks 7:30pm NBCSCA Will they score a goal?

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
SNOG:

4-2 Sharks.

Hertl, Balcers, Meier and Bonino.

Miller and Hoglander.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Yup. Unless Hasso wants to finance it, the team very well might get moved due to unsustainable financial performance before a proper rebuild is completed. Good or bad, San Jose is a transient market (meaning there are lots of people who live/work here who are not from here and will ultimately not remain here long-term) and the transients don't have the patience for a rebuild.

Many armchair GM's don't seem to understand this.
Fremont Sharks

there's already a Sharks ice in Fremont

make it happen Hasso

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yup. Unless Hasso wants to finance it, the team very well might get moved due to unsustainable financial performance before a proper rebuild is completed. Good or bad, San Jose is a transient market (meaning there are lots of people who live/work here who are not from here and will ultimately not remain here long-term) and the transients don't have the patience for a rebuild.

Many armchair GM's don't seem to understand this.

So what would be a better market than the heavily populated and staggeringly wealthy Bay Area? Never mind that moving a major sports franchise is never done on a lark - not anymore, anyway. It takes several years of effort and there are no indications that this is even being floated.

The Sharks moving is not something I would consider a realistic concern.

SNOG

Sharks 3, Canucks 1
Meier, Hertl, Balcers
Boeser

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So what would be a better market than the heavily populated and staggeringly wealthy Bay Area? Never mind that moving a major sports franchise is never done on a lark - not anymore, anyway. It takes several years of effort and there are no indications that this is even being floated.

The Sharks moving is not something I would consider a realistic concern.

SNOG

Sharks 3, Canucks 1
Meier, Hertl, Balcers
Boeser

the other thing is that people not showing up to watch a bad team isn't something endemic to just bad markets. Most Canadian markets that aren't Toronto (and maybe Montreal) have crap attendance when the team is awful. As long as they don't go full Coyotes and suck for a decade+ I wouldn't even begin to be worried about the lack of butts in the seats right now.

Meanwhile stupid NHL Live regional blackouts mean I have to watch the awful Canucks broadcast with John Garrett. Uuuuuughhh.....

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS11 and Cas

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
the other thing is that people not showing up to watch a bad team is something endemic to just bad markets. Most Canadian markets that aren't Toronto have crap attendance when the team is awful. As long as they don't go full Coyotes and suck for a decade+ I wouldn't even begin to be worried about the lack of butts in the seats right now.

Never mind the whole major public health crisis affecting attendance, either. Honestly, the fact that they're getting 10,000+ fans a night with a crappy team during a pandemic astonishes me.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Never mind the whole major public health crisis affecting attendance, either. Honestly, the fact that they're getting 10,000+ fans a night with a crappy team during a pandemic astonishes me.

They're definitely not getting 10,000+ fans a night. I'd be surprised if there are 1000 people in the building right now.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
you know how they retire jersey numbers? they should retire names. no more burrows/burroughs/etc. on vancouver, please, it just doesn't work out

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So Vancouver TV has a commercial with CHL players asking people to donate blood and test to see if they have blood factors or stem cell attributes or whatever that would be important for blood banks to have. none of this is noteworthy or important.

What is important is the one of these players, who it turns out is a Carolina 5th round draft pick last year, is named Bobby Orr Jr.

I did some research and no he isn't related (at least in any meaningful way) and the name is actually for his grandfather, but on the other hand damn is that kid going to hear about it for the rest of his life given that he's a hockey player.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Burns could literally punch Boughner in the face after deliberatly throwing the puck into his own net and he’d still get 30 minutes
9E7E77CA-169A-421C-AAB6-E307BF84546D.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad