Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kinda funny to me, frankly, that the captain of a prominent NHL team gets reduced to childish antics like that. I agree with Rudo that he should get a fine for that bullshit, but likely nothing will happen.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Some interesting fancy stats were posted about the Avs and Blues recently by Sean Tierney. According to those stats, the Avs give up a lot of shots but limit quality chances (which doesn't seem to pass the eye test to me, but whatever) whereas, surprisingly, the Blues are really good at overall shot suppression but the few chances they do give up are quality.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kinda funny to me, frankly, that the captain of a prominent NHL team gets reduced to childish antics like that. I agree with Rudo that he should get a fine for that bull****, but likely nothing will happen.
It didnt even look like the refs signalled for an auto goal. Looked to me like they were willing to let it go.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mikko Rantanen has 1 assist since his Jan 4th hat trick game. Thats right folks the highest paid player on this team has one assist in nearly a month and that assist came today after he flubbed the puck. Thats how shitty this guy has been. People talk about landy being bad and yes he has been bad but hasnt been nearly as bad as Rantanen in that time span. Landy has 5 points in the last 6 games. If this team is going to make any sort of run Mikko needs to get his shit together because that contract is looking brutal at the moment the same way Nylanders did when he held out for so long.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Mikko Rantanen has 1 assist since his Jan 4th hat trick game. Thats right folks the highest paid player on this team has one assist in nearly a month and that assist came today after he flubbed the puck. Thats how ****ty this guy has been. People talk about landy being bad and yes he has been bad but hasnt been nearly as bad as Rantanen in that time span. Landy has 5 points in the last 6 games. If this team is going to make any sort of run Mikko needs to get his **** together because that contract is looking brutal at the moment the same way Nylanders did when he held out for so long.
I really hope this isn't a case of a guy getting paid and then packing it in. That would be so disappointing. But Mikko did start off the year strong, so i will just pretend that its only because theres still something lingering with his health..

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Mikko Rantanen has 1 assist since his Jan 4th hat trick game. Thats right folks the highest paid player on this team has one assist in nearly a month and that assist came today after he flubbed the puck. Thats how ****ty this guy has been. People talk about landy being bad and yes he has been bad but hasnt been nearly as bad as Rantanen in that time span. Landy has 5 points in the last 6 games. If this team is going to make any sort of run Mikko needs to get his **** together because that contract is looking brutal at the moment the same way Nylanders did when he held out for so long.
Look how good we are without rants tho! Just wait until he gets going!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Speaking of Billington, most random players are in charge of the Avs player development.

Billington
Reinprecht
Brett Clark

What do this guys know about player development? they all were average or below average players in the NHL

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking of Billington, most random players are in charge of the Avs player development.

Billington
Reinprecht
Brett Clark

What do this guys know about player development? they all were average or below average players in the NHL

Star power or talent level has NOTHING to do with your ability to coach. If that were true, Wayne Gretzky would've shepherded the Coyotes to the Stanley Cup.

I imagine having guys who have played hockey at those developmental levels give them some added insight as to what it takes to train for and make the NHL. Clark IMO is an especially good choice because it took him a LONG time to become an NHL mainstay.

BTW I think you forgot about Brian Willsie.

Personally I just don't know about Billington. I was sour as hell on him, but now my main gripe centers solely on the Avs' ability to pick talent in the draft.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I really hope this isn't a case of a guy getting paid and then packing it in. That would be so disappointing. But Mikko did start off the year strong, so i will just pretend that its only because theres still something lingering with his health..

I hope it’s lingering issues with his injury, & wonder whether he should’ve waited to return. I don’t begrudge these guys getting paid, but thus far I’m glad Sakic resisted giving him the Marner contract.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I mean, you're not wrong at all. Rants is the highest paid player on the team and he's playing like shit. He has stopped skating and started reaching like he has a pool cue instead of a stick. Just like how old man Johnson has been with his "active stick". Rants has clearly not been up to snuff this year at all. Reaching, flubbing shots, skating in quicksand, passing like his brain has been removed. Guy hasn't passed to Mack in stride more than 3 times this year. Don't quote me on actual statistics, but Rants has failed to pass to mack in stride more times than I can count this year.

All reach and no hustle this year. It's negatively affecting his line and his production.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh...I'm frustrated as hell with both Rants and Landy, but I can't imagine either of them are just being lazy. They both suffered pretty serious leg injuries that affected their ability to train and skate and rght now their speed and timing still look very much off. You can tell the leg strength for Rants just isn't there right now, most notably when he tried a one-timer and fell flat on his face.

It's understandable that both have to shake off the rust...though I sure as hell wish they'd shake a little harder.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Star power or talent level has NOTHING to do with your ability to coach. If that were true, Wayne Gretzky would've shepherded the Coyotes to the Stanley Cup.

I imagine having guys who have played hockey at those developmental levels give them some added insight as to what it takes to train for and make the NHL. Clark IMO is an especially good choice because it took him a LONG time to become an NHL mainstay.

BTW I think you forgot about Brian Willsie.

Personally I just don't know about Billington. I was sour as hell on him, but now my main gripe centers solely on the Avs' ability to pick talent in the draft.
Or maybe Kroenke is just cheap and hires inexpensive people to run his organization

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We won the last few games yes but im not going to say we are 'good' not until we go on a run again lol. We need Mikko right now.
We’re the 7th team to hit 60 points. We have an MVP 1C, and the best young Dman in the game! Cheer up. Rants will come around.

Need to get Landy off that line and move Nuke up to do the forechecking.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I f***ing hate that they turtled again in the third. But at least I felt like they did a good job this time of keeping the Blues to the outside and blocking off the shooting lanes. That clamping down defensively is probably what led to that childish stick throw by Pietro. The funny thing is the Blues do it all the time, apparently they don't like their own medicine.

Overall though it was a great game to see live. Back and forth, some great goals scored. I took my friend to the game who had never seen live hockey before and it was a great introduction for him.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo

Billington
Reinprecht
Brett Clark

Well i was a lousy student but i am a great teacher.....

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We’re the 7th team to hit 60 points. We have an MVP 1C, and the best young Dman in the game! Cheer up. Rants will come around.

Need to get Landy off that line and move Nuke up to do the forechecking.
I'll cheer up when we in the playoffs. I like the last 3 games but im not sold that we have turned it around just yet. It would be the most Avs thing to beat the Blues and lose to the Wings. I really want Mikko to go off on the Wings on Monday. Im talking 5 point performance type thing.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Or maybe Kroenke is just cheap and hires inexpensive people to run his organization

Please inform me where all these expensive player development gurus are.

I'll admit I've lazily applied the Kroenke-is-cheap narrative a lot but it's just not true in this case. As Henchy has pointed out, they've invested quite a bit in player development. They hired THREE development coaches. How many teams have even one? They have a goaltending consultant on top of the full-time goalie coaches for both the Eagles and the Avalanche. They have a skills coach who splits time between the AHL and NHL clubs.

If the Avs have a player development issue, it's not for lack of effort. The problem probably lies more where they're picking the actual talent rather than how they're developing it.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018

I'll admit I've lazily applied the Kroenke-is-cheap narrative a lot but it's just not true in this case. As Henchy has pointed out, they've invested quite a bit in player development. They hired THREE development coaches. How many teams have even one? They have a goaltending consultant on top of the full-time goalie coaches for both the Eagles and the Avalanche. They have a skills coach who splits time between the AHL and NHL clubs.

If the Avs have a player development issue, it's not for lack of effort. The problem probably lies more where they're picking the actual talent rather than how they're developing it.
Something something....steal Ottawa's scouts

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I dont know, I'm drunk so all kinds of conspiracy theories are going through my mind.

So maybe Kroenke hires cheap scouts? Bingo...I think we got our smoking gun

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dont know, I'm drunk so all kinds of conspiracy theories are going through my mind.

tinfoil-hat-against-mass-media-picture-id491246609

So maybe Kroenke hires cheap scouts? Bingo...I think we got our smoking gun.

I do think they're still a little too insular, especially that particular deparment. But I think when it comes to money spent on scouting I thought I read the Avs are right in the middle.

I think it comes down to finding the right guys to pick the talent. The Sens have got to have the leanest scouting department in the league and yet Dorion keeps finding gems.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
tinfoil-hat-against-mass-media-picture-id491246609

I do think they're still a little too insular, especially that particular deparment. But I think when it comes to money spent on scouting I thought I read the Avs are right in the middle.

I think it comes down to finding the right guys to pick the talent. The Sens have got to have the leanest scouting department in the league and yet Dorion keeps finding gems.

Avs have done good in 1st rounds drafting players, it's the later rounds they've struggled with. ROR was a 2nd rounder, I guess the last none 1st rounder Avs did good on drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad