GDT: Game 47: Kings @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm still wondering how a suspendable sucker punch is only a two minute penalty and game misconduct. 5 and a game would seem to be the right call there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kcon was trying to hit Lucic's stick. Lucic moved his stick forward at the same time, which is why he got hit on the hand. It wasn't intentional. The punch to the back of the head is exactly what the NHL wants out of the game, intentional head hits from behind and after the whistle. He will gets suspended for 3 games or more.

Correct. I love the way Lucic plays the game when he plays within the rules. But that so called brain of his let's him play like a goon too often.

We lost a defenseman to post concussive syndrome - Kurt Sauer. He has having a hard time of it as of 2 years ago and we shouldn't forget about him. Anyone have an update? The risk to KConn wasn't a broken chin but what Sauer is going through. That's too much of a risk to allow sucker punches in this game.

I agree, and don't forget about Rusty.

I'm still wondering how a suspendable sucker punch is only a two minute penalty and game misconduct. 5 and a game would seem to be the right call there.

Terrible call by the ref. NHL reffing is getting worse every year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Note the correct use of the water bottle.... unlike the kings captain. :)

:laugh: I was on the King's board reading some comments and I think they are worse than the Leafs board. I hate the Kings more today than yesterday.

Absolute beauty

It was. Loved the way the rest of the team jumped over the boards and congratulated that line. I wasn't that big a fan of Reider's last year, but man oh man is he making me eat crow. That has to be one of DM's most lopsided trades.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I read a column yesterday (I can't remember which) that suggested if the Oiler's win the draft lottery yet again, they trade it to Arizona for OEL so we would draft Mathews. What are your thoughts on that idea?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I read a column yesterday (I can't remember which) that suggested if the Oiler's win the draft lottery yet again, they trade it to Arizona for OEL so we would draft Mathews. What are your thoughts on that idea?

Whole lot of no from me.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

Only if it included mcdavid with him.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

No thanks.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

NHL rules are a little different but in most sets of hockey rules you can get straight up tossed for unsportsmanlike conduct. One recent example I can think of is when a player flipped me off. I gave him 2 and a game (the 2 being the slashing minor he was upset about). Sucker punching is pretty unsportsmanlike and probably warrants a game misconduct or match penalty for attempt to injure (contrary to what I posted on the main board this morning now that I've had more time to think about it).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
NHL rules are a little different but in most sets of hockey rules you can get straight up tossed for unsportsmanlike conduct. One recent example I can think of is when a player flipped me off. I gave him 2 and a game (the 2 being the slashing minor he was upset about). Sucker punching is pretty unsportsmanlike and probably warrants a game misconduct or match penalty for attempt to injure (contrary to what I posted on the main board this morning now that I've had more time to think about it).

If he was tossed for just arguing I get it, but imo that's a 5 minute punch, like you said intent to injure.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

That would be incredibly stupid. Our D is absolutely pathetic outside of OEL.

In reality I see it the opposite; the Yotes trading forward prospects for defensemen.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
If he was tossed for just arguing I get it, but imo that's a 5 minute punch, like you said intent to injure.

Unsportsmanlike conduct can be a lot more than just arguing. My opinion is that 2 vs. 5 really isn't a huge deal in the game's situation at the time it happened. At that point, Lucic simply needed to be removed from the game, and he was. That the roughing was 2 minutes instead of 5 isn't really a big deal the way I see things. Maybe I'm just biased though. With the time remaining I'd probably just thrown him a 2+10 (and recorded it as "head contact" to keep it simple) then used the 10-minute misconduct as a reason to send him to the dressing room and not need to file an incident report.

Admittedly kind of a lazy approach.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Expected he would get 1-2 games, so not surprised by the result.

Could say the DoPS is effectively saying the refs got it wrong, which wouldn't be the first time. That's assuming they would have only called the minor penalty and not ejected Lucic if he didn't have his tirade afterward.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

Man we would have the worst defense ever if we did that. But our center's would be straight up ridiculous.

I want OEL to take over as captain when Doaner leaves though, plus he's already making himself out as one of the leagues premier defensemen. That'd be a no from me as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad