Pre-Game Talk: Game 47 Edmonton (-17) in Florida (+20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers get to have some days in the sunshine state
Inching closer to the all star break

Most people are talking about talbots new contract, other about stupid penalties, still other talking about whether or not Nuge or Eberle will be moved when McJesus comes back

Some starting discussion points

hall--1g 2a in 10 games
Nuge-0g-6A in 10 games
Eberle-2g-8A in 10 games
Leon-1g 3 a in 10 games
Purcell 1g-1a 10 games
Pouliot-5g-3a 10 Games

I think we can say only Pouliot has been putting stuff that counts up. Until our top 6 start putting up better numbers--say if they combined for 16 goals in those ten games and not not 10--maybe we would not have lost 5 games by one goal

last ten games the oilers have scored 3 or more goals only three times

getting one more goal a game from the top six could turn this team around over night--on paper they have the talent--but on the ice something is wrong. Waiting for McDavid to come back is lame excuse--with 18 mill to Eberle, Hall and Nuge per year--a little more goal scoring is in order

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

Gonna be so scary watching Gudbranson beat Gazdic to death, and watching Thornton beat Hendricks to death. I don't know how seeing our entire team beaten to death qualifies us as goons, but it does. You know why? Cuz we're a bunch of no good goons. Whats gonna be worse is watching Huberdeau scale the walls to grab McDavid out of the press box to execute a flawless flying back breaker onto the middle of the ice.

Hold me guyz, we gonna git hurt.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
That sums it up right there. Power play is abysmal, too.

Hall is certainly not part of the problem. All scorers are streaky. All these players are valuable. Hall is worth 8-9 mil. Perhaps Eberle and RNH are a bit overpaid but not by much. They are fine. Just streaky as all scorers are.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
ebs/Poo has been playing good.

other 4 are obvious in a slump, they are out of sync. hopefully going to sunny florida will fix that.

I think

Hall-Drastaitl-Purcell
Poo-Nuge-Ebs

need to be the lines moving forward as it was quite obvious in the last two period that they were clicking.

if we score early(1 of Hall/nuge/drai/purcell), I would be quite afraid if i was Florida as this is a team in a scoring slump right now and they can bite if they are hot.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
That sums it up right there. Power play is abysmal, too.

Our Power-Play is too predictable, everyone knows that the offence is coming from the forwards and the outside. we need both net front presence and a powerful point shot to be a effective power-play, most effective power-plays have this. SJ,WSH,Dal,etc

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We will have to lean on our powerplay, which is terrible, if we wanna win this one.

The Panthers are so big, they lean on us the whole game. It was a truly valiant effort in the last game against the cats but we were outmatched most of the time. Gotta be hard on the players to try to outwork the cats all game long. Predicting 3 life-ending injuries to the Oilers. RIP.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I'm really looking forward to this game, just because of the bad blood from the last game. I'm predicting a rare Oilers win. 4-2

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Our Power-Play is too predictable, everyone knows that the offence is coming from the forwards and the outside. we need both net front presence and a powerful point shot to be a effective power-play, most effective power-plays have this. SJ,WSH,Dal,etc

We had a good PP under 3 coaches and similar defense really. Not sure why some of the coaching staff can and some can't.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
We had a good PP under 3 coaches and similar defense really. Not sure why some of the coaching staff can and some can't.

Could be a simple as under-coaching from some staffs, which played to the player's strengths of just doing things on instinct, and a bit of over-coaching where they are adhering to a specific system under other staffs. Mclellan and his staff looks like the type that is very hands on with every aspect of the game, and Eakins was clearly an ego maniacal control freak; both likely have very specific ideas of what they consider acceptable systems play on the PP. Nelson and Kreuger by comparison were more hands off, and seemed to let them play without near as much micro-managing. Nelson especially, he seemed considerably more concerned with confidence and fun coming into a broken locker room, than he did enforcing systems play.

Mclellan/Woodcroft were talking about high volume shooting through quick shots, and low tip'able shots going into the season. As a result, several players don't even look for passes anymore, and routinely throw the puck at the net as mandated by the system even when there are better options. It appears to be a rather ineffective approach in Edmonton since they lack dangerous shooters from the periphery, and their front of the net presence might be the worst in the NHL.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Oilers get to have some days in the sunshine state
Inching closer to the all star break

Most people are talking about talbots new contract, other about stupid penalties, still other talking about whether or not Nuge or Eberle will be moved when McJesus comes back

Some starting discussion points

hall--1g 2a in 10 games
Nuge-0g-6A in 10 games
Eberle-2g-8A in 10 games
Leon-1g 3 a in 10 games
Purcell 1g-1a 10 games
Pouliot-5g-3a 10 Games

I think we can say only Pouliot has been putting stuff that counts up. Until our top 6 start putting up better numbers--say if they combined for 16 goals in those ten games and not not 10--maybe we would not have lost 5 games by one goal

last ten games the oilers have scored 3 or more goals only three times

getting one more goal a game from the top six could turn this team around over night--on paper they have the talent--but on the ice something is wrong. Waiting for McDavid to come back is lame excuse--with 18 mill to Eberle, Hall and Nuge per year--a little more goal scoring is in order

10 points in 10 games is more than enough to give Ebs some credit. I've been a critic this year, but his play is greatly improved.

But the point stands... We need more than two guys going.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Considering how chippy a lot of fans are expecting this game to be, Kassian could be just what the doctor ordered. Should be good to see him and Hendricks in the lineup.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
10 points in 10 games is more than enough to give Ebs some credit. I've been a critic this year, but his play is greatly improved.

But the point stands... We need more than two guys going.

And if you go back further its 18 points in 18 games I believe.

He has been pulling his weight since getting comfortable in the lineup, especially considering how Nuge has struggled.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I predict there to be zero emotion in tonights game. Guarantee there have been messages sent from the NHL to both teams warning them. Happened last time the Oilers had a situation like this. Cant remember when or who it was against though.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
Alot of perimeter play lately by the skilled forwards, they need to shield the puck and drive the net, draw some penalties...you have to get to the dirty areas...even if the PP hasn't been great, if they drive the net the other teams can't afford to take penalty after penalty.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I predict there to be zero emotion in tonights game. Guarantee there have been messages sent from the NHL to both teams warning them. Happened last time the Oilers had a situation like this. Cant remember when or who it was against though.

Well we do have Kassian who is a bit of a nut at times and who knows maybe we grab the fully loaded nut Steve Downie off waivers today:sarcasm:

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Hall-Drai break out of their slump, generate 2 goals tonight. PP nets one also.

4-3 Oil.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I just hope Hendricks doesn't get injured in some staged fight. He has been injured in fights before. I almost want him to sit this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad