GDT: [Game #47] Dallas Stars @ Colorado Avalanche - 8:00 PM CT (BS-SW+)

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Is he really doing NFTs? May he not win another game this season. Gross.

I didn't watch this one, but wow, the Stars were horribly outplayed by the numbers. Avs had an xGF of 73%, HDC% of 72%, Corsi of 73%, don't see that every day. I guess when you put up points in 20 in a row, it's bound to happen.

The Stars numbers were actually better in the 4-0 blowout 2 nights ago, still terrible, but better.

I think it was a joke by the social media team :laugh:

Yeah, I was looking at the numbers and was just laughing at how lopsided they were.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think it was a joke by the social media team :laugh:

Yeah, I was looking at the numbers and was just laughing at how lopsided they were.

Ah gotcha, to be honest it's hard to tell because this exists: Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin unveils his first NFTs

Good thing for him he got them out ahead of regular people realizing NFTs are a massive scam.

The Oettinger NFT is a very convincing parody though, nicely done social media team. :laugh:

Reactions: Johno

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Is he really doing NFTs? May he not win another game this season. Gross.

I didn't watch this one, but wow, the Stars were horribly outplayed by the numbers. Avs had an xGF of 73%, HDC% of 72%, Corsi of 73%, don't see that every day. I guess when you put up points in 20 in a row, it's bound to happen.

The Stars numbers were actually better in the 4-0 blowout 2 nights ago, still terrible, but better.
That’s why it’s so key to have good goaltending . None of those expected stats matter when your goalie can keep you in it .

Reactions: MBTendy

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That’s why it’s so key to have good goaltending . None of those expected stats matter when your goalie can keep you in it .

It's certainly a strategy, one that isn't reliable in the long run though. See: Henrik Lundqvist, Roberto Luongo, and Carey Price's entire careers. Fantastic goalies (well, price less so tbh), aren't enough to carry mediocre teams to victory. Even the monster that is Hasek had to go to Detroit to get his cup, despite being utterly dominant with the Sabres.

I'll take the opposite strategy of a dope team with an average goalie every time, if given the choice. Chicago winning with Antti Niemi as an example. Best thing though is to just have a good team and a good goalie, Kings, Lightning, etc. I think because of the cap it's impossible to be strong at all three positions without squeezing in star players on ELCs though, so I just assume there's always a tradeoff.

Maybe it's just me, but I also don't think there are that many great goalies in the NHL in general, they just seem really difficult to find. It's basically Vasilevsky, Helleybuck, Shesterkin, Saaros, maaaybe Gibson if he gets a better team in front of him? Consistency among goalies is basically non existent outside of a few super elite guys. MAF has gone from cup winning to backup to carrying his team to the finals over the course of his career, goalies are just too random to rely on outside of rare elite guys. Shesterkin and Saaros don't even have a track record long enough to say for sure if they're truly elite and can keep it up over a few seasons, I'm just hoping for the best because goalie talent in the NHL isn't very good.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
It's certainly a strategy, one that isn't reliable in the long run though. See: Henrik Lundqvist, Roberto Luongo, and Carey Price's entire careers. Fantastic goalies (well, price less so tbh), aren't enough to carry mediocre teams to victory. Even the monster that is Hasek had to go to Detroit to get his cup, despite being utterly dominant with the Sabres.

I'll take the opposite strategy of a dope team with an average goalie every time, if given the choice. Chicago winning with Antti Niemi as an example. Best thing though is to just have a good team and a good goalie, Kings, Lightning, etc. I think because of the cap it's impossible to be strong at all three positions without squeezing in star players on ELCs though, so I just assume there's always a tradeoff.

Maybe it's just me, but I also don't think there are that many great goalies in the NHL in general, they just seem really difficult to find. It's basically Vasilevsky, Helleybuck, Shesterkin, Saaros, maaaybe Gibson if he gets a better team in front of him? Consistency among goalies is basically non existent outside of a few super elite guys. MAF has gone from cup winning to backup to carrying his team to the finals over the course of his career, goalies are just too random to rely on outside of rare elite guys. Shesterkin and Saaros don't even have a track record long enough to say for sure if they're truly elite and can keep it up over a few seasons, I'm just hoping for the best because goalie talent in the NHL isn't very good.
If you look at tampa right now though , they have a solid team but even on the nights they aren’t playing good , they still have a good shot at winning with vas between the pipes .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

You can have both a good team and good goalie too lol that’s the recipe for success . Score goals and prevent goals .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That was a textbook Stars win, and I'm not even being snarky. If Oettinger builds off of that, they might actually win some games.

That may be one of the more lopsided examples of Stars hockey. It was pretty wild the disparity in the 2 teams. A 3 game losing streak for Nashville seriously put Dallas in a position that the 1st wildcard is possible. I honestly think that is the most enviable spot in the Central Division.

I don't know Dallas has the goaltenders right now for that to be sustainable. Maybe they should have thought about playing Otter on the road sooner ... lol. Seems like he has a decent shot here to takeover as the #1. He's playing more right now at least.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
You can have both a good team and good goalie too lol that’s the recipe for success . Score goals and prevent goals .

He's asking is that possible in a cap world, and while TB has pulled it off (afford elite offense, defense, and goal) they are the exception not the rule.

Colorado is a great example in that they're dominate without elite goaltending. Dallas and the Islanders were winning previously without scoring. Most top teams have a glaring weaker part of the team because of the cap. You can't buy yourself a complete team from top to bottom.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
This team has made me numb to them winning

I think the problem is Dallas has been winning like they did last nights for several years. The exception previous years was they did it at a more frequent clip because they had better overall goalie play. It was easier to be excited about a big win that looked like that because the goalies were frequently playing at an elite level.

Knowing that the goalies to this point have not shown the ability to play that way consistently, its difficult to get excited about a win against a quality opponent knowing that most nights, that's probably a blowout loss if you get Otter or Holtby's standard night.

I defiantly at least want to give Otter a chance to build off that, but overall that team performance doesn't change the feeling that they've turned a corner. Its probably not likely and definitely not a certainty, but that is the type of performance that an individual like Otter could build off of and he's the one guy that a dramatic improvement in individual performance could really impact wins.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He's asking is that possible in a cap world, and while TB has pulled it off (afford elite offense, defense, and goal) they are the exception not the rule.

Colorado is a great example in that they're dominate without elite goaltending. Dallas and the Islanders were winning previously without scoring. Most top teams have a glaring weaker part of the team because of the cap. You can't buy yourself a complete team from top to bottom.
Colorado is dominant in the regular season without elite goaltending . As far as if it’s possible with the cap , absolutely . Everything is easier the better the drafts go though .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I hope Nill remembers his mantra of not getting too high or too low, based on one win or loss. Basically, they have been stuck on 10th in the west since October, with a few days in the top 8. Barring something miraculous between now and the TDL, I agree with most of you that we pack it in then. They can still compete as a team without Klingberg, they may just have to convince themselves he is injured and not traded, LOL< but it would be the same difference.

IIRC the year they traded Jagr, etc. they actually made a better push for the PO's after the TDL, although they ended up falling short.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The powerplay is significantly worse without Klingberg . That is certainly a massive issue .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The powerplay is significantly worse without Klingberg . That is certainly a massive issue .

It was clear they had a different strategy last night than usual, and I read somewhere that Laxdall, while he had used it before, thought it would be effective against Colorado's aggressive penalty kill, i.e., the cross ice passing. So, score one for the coaching making a positive difference for once. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be the way to go most nights, but maybe it is harder to get cross ice passes done when the other team relies on a tight box formation.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It was clear they had a different strategy last night than usual, and I read somewhere that Laxdall, while he had used it before, thought it would be effective against Colorado's aggressive penalty kill, i.e., the cross ice passing. So, score one for the coaching making a positive difference for once. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be the way to go most nights, but maybe it is harder to get cross ice passes done when the other team relies on a tight box formation.

Stars completely spread the Avs PK out to the point where Pavelski was front of the net by himself twice. That obviously won't work if you can't make the 4 PK players chase you so much that one guy is all alone right in front of the goalie just waiting to put the puck in.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Yeah that was my point, of course it's ideal to be great everywhere, but except for very short periods of time, it isn't that feasible. TB essentially had to lose an entire line of depth (Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow, plus Johnson actually) to afford Vasilevsky and Point's (upcoming) raises. I don't think there's a team as complete as TB from the last two years in the NHL this year. Probably some of the most dominant and complete teams assembled during the cap era. If you can't be great everwhere, I'd focus on forwards and defensemen. I think it's kind of hard to even have a goalie focus because of their randomness in year to year play, and drafting.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
sz2LKs7.png

KtyXant.png

We somehow won this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad