GDT: Game 47: CBJ @ FLA, 7 PM EST

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
This was Max Domi's best game in a long while.

As too Laine, I have to give him some credit, His line was not bad defensive.

That is worried, is the fact that the passing do not work at all.
Both goals come from individual players effort and no assist should had been given. (in my point of view)
Texier also had a ?nearly? one, from his own effort.

It is like everybody hesitate before passing, which in the end take out the timing od the passes and make them easier to read.

Also it was clear that Panters defense was focused on the Atkinson/Roslovic/Bjorkstrand line.
Which means that the Laine/Texier/Robinson got it just a little easier! which again meant that they was able to recover more puck from bad passes.
Anyway, even without scoring, this was one of Laine better games for a while. (Except for his penalties)
What more the powerplay actually worked, even without goals. They was however creating a lot of chances. That has been the real problem with the PP, they first line more often than not, created nothing.

Last year the strength of this team was defense and goalies. This year it is a weakness, for what ever reason. What is clear, is that we got three forwards from trades, all of who is week on defense.

Now, it is difficult to make any conclusion out of these last games, since management is clearly evaluate assets and is making heavy Tank manures.
There is no question that they want the asset to shine, but I am also sure, loosing is no longer a problem.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This was Max Domi's best game in a long while

Nice comment re: Domi.

Jackets historically have been a terrible passing team. I have no idea why but in general they have sucked at it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This was Max Domi's best game in a long while.
It is a meme:sarcasm:
As too Laine, I have to give him some credit, His line was not bad defensive.
Laine has a quite good defense if he moves his legs and he isn`t standing like Lot's wife.

Both goals come from individual players effort and no assist should had been given. (in my point of view)
Texier also had a ?nearly? one, from his own effort.
It is like everybody hesitate before passing, which in the end take out the timing od the passes and make them easier to read.
Not only Tex. Btw it`s a Tex`s problem, he`s very skill, speed, he can pass excelent but...he doesn`t often see his partners. maybe it`s a reason why Tex plays better with players like Robinson and not with players who prefer combinations.

Also it was clear that Panters defense was focused on the Atkinson/Roslovic/Bjorkstrand line.
Which means that the Laine/Texier/Robinson got it just a little easier! which again meant that they was able to recover more puck from bad passes.

Robinson never played with Tex and Laine but with Stenlund and Dalpe, the 3th was Matteau. Besides, the most against Tex line Barkov`s line played. And Barkov is very good in defense. So I doubt especially on the Roslovic`s line. IMHO you overrated this line.
This was the first game Tex`s line, so how chemistry? Especially if the third is Matteau.

Anyway, even without scoring, this was one of Laine better games for a while. (Except for his penalties)
What more the powerplay actually worked, even without goals. They was however creating a lot of chances. That has been the real problem with the PP, they first line more often than not, created nothing.

His shots on PPG wasn`t ideal, that`s fact but combinations very good . Similar he played in Dallas too, very good transition through the neutral zone, passes or alone with using cover the puck his body, skill and... moving (finally) his legs. But defense pairs against Dallas weren`t ideal so they have enough big problem to play under forchecking. Now yes. MDZ playes very good with Jones, I like Bayreuther and Peeke pair, only Lehtonen didn`t play ideal. I don`t understand his shots when his partners were in better position. Btw did you notice Gavrikov plays in offense better than with Savard?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Detroit 2
Dallas 2

10 mins to play. again, Go wings.

Wings get the loser point. CBJ now last in the division.

Random thought: Dalpe has now scored more goals in the last 28 or 29 (too lazy to get exact number) games than Tex.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Torts looks miserable. I honestly feel bad for the man and the team
Torts isn`t bad IMHO but his assistents could be change. Our PPG is terrible. No combinations only what players conceive during PPG. Supporting forwards from defense isn`t ideal too, look at Dallas for example.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Korpi may not be an nhl goalie next year at this rate . He’s nearing a career 2.90 gaa

• Joonas Korpisalo
  • Born: April 28, 1994
  • Birthplace: Pori, FIN
  • Catches: Left
  • Draft: 2012 CBJ, 3rd rd, 1st pk (62nd overall)
  • View Player Bio +
Watch Joonas Korpisalo Highlights
SeasonGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASV%SOMIN
2020-2021312991207845883.21.89601,645
NHL Career1581456955--214,4604212.88.90638,774
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Better than Merzlikins

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Better than Merzlikins

Might want to rethink that. Elvis has a better career GAA, better save %, and double the number of shutouts in 1/3 of the games played.

2020-2021221861102646582.97.91011,170
NHL Career55491920--101,5651292.59.91862,985
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Might want to rethink that. Elvis has a better career GAA, better save %, and double the number of shutouts in 1/3 of the games played.

2020-2021221861102646582.97.91011,170
NHL Career55491920--101,5651292.59.91862,985
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

12.9 34 .654 2.76 13 .233 76.6 .086 76.07

Got it!?!

My numbers don’t lie, either!!

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What the hell are you even talking about? Go here if you can't follow simple numbers.

Elvis Merzlikins Stats and News

My whole point is that the (marginally better or completely “cherry picked”) numbers mean essentially nothing.

Korpisalo and Merzlikins have had completely different starts to their careers. Elvis has played a bigger % of his total career games behind a better defensive and better team, and as much more of a “1B” and has gotten more regular time than Korpisalo saw early in his career. Regular playing time and having a realistic chance at playing consistently has an impact on a goalie and their play.

The large amount of shutouts that Merzlikins has already, has a much bigger impact on his “numbers” than they show some trait or skill that he has over Korpisalo or any other NHL goalies.

Again, people also continue to ignore the numbers that Korpisalo put up early in his career in the year when Bob got hurt, and that HE HIMSELF was just voted as an ‘NHL All Star’. We have somebody posting that he could (quite literally “should”) be out of the league 2 years after being voted as all star and winning a round in the playoffs.

Not only that, but most importantly, AND LEAST TALKED ABOUT, who looks better on the ice??

Even the ‘Elvis fans’ go the potential route, “the ceiling”. But, what does that even mean?? A shutout isn’t simply the end all goal or an absolute evaluation of a goalie. Remember Steve Mason. Torts coaching style has helped Elvis just as much as Hitch and Mason/Leclaire.

Korpisalo is the BETTER goalie on the ice. Looks better. Moves better. IS better. The idea that he lets in more weak goals, in relation to Elvis or other goalies, is A MYTH. A HFboards meme!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe it’s time to consider that neither one is very good?

granted, defensively this whole year the team has been awful. So both goalies stats look terrible. But there are things about both goalies that holds each of them back from taking the job. Elvis’ is his knack to be erratic and prone to some mistakes and soft goals. Korpi is the soft goals and a bit weak on the blocker.

I know both are seen as starters by us the fans and by the scouts Porty interviews but I’m not too certain either one is trustworthy enough

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Korpisalo is the BETTER goalie on the ice. Looks better. Moves better. IS better. The idea that he lets in more weak goals, in relation to Elvis or other goalies, is A MYTH. A HFboards meme!!

Bwaahahah ignore actual black and white stats because they are "cherry picked" but use very scientific lines like "IS better, looks better, moves better" - GTFO dude, your schtick is so tired.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bwaahahah ignore actual black and white stats because they are "cherry picked" but use very scientific lines like "IS better, looks better, moves better" - GTFO dude, your schtick is so tired.

Well the players are who play the games, not the “numbers” or some dude with a calculator.

Which goalie LOOKS better on the ice is important. I mean what do you think professional scouts are looking at when they watch games?

My schtick is wanting the best CBJ hockey team, not guys with cool names or perceived/bogus “superstar ceiling”.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Well the players are who play the games, not the “numbers” or some dude with a calculator.

Which goalie LOOKS better on the ice is important. I mean what do you think professional scouts are looking at when they watch games?

My schtick is wanting the best CBJ hockey team, not guys with cool names or perceived/bogus “superstar ceiling”.

they're watching to see which goalie stops the puck more, which can be directly measured in stats like GAA and SV%.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2021-4-20_11-5-53.png

Here are their stats behind the same team/defense since the start of the 2019 season.

Of the 67 goalies around the league who have played 1,200+ minutes since the start of 2019, Elvis ranks T-16th in save percentage with Philipp Grubauer. Korpi ranks 48th, just ahead of one Sergei Bobrovsky. Not sure where this idea started that "neither are very good." Elvis is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad