GDT: Game 47: Avalanche @ Blues (6 pm MT, Jan. 19, 2015)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tourigny ran that system for years in the Q and midget before Roy was even coaching. Roy used it when he took over coaching Quebec, heavily influenced by Tourigny's success.

Perhaps he used it for the few years before Roy was coaching, but I don't know if it's really fair to pin it on Tourigny, since Roy used it for 8 years on his own, and was a big believer in it.

member 116861

This is way too much like manic depression. On one hand there's all this hope (either they play a decent game or just pieces for the future) but on the other hand everything is terrible. It seriously takes my own mental strength to be a fan of this team. It's certainly not easy. There's so much to like but they just get trashed so much (media, fans).

Honestly it's not that bad. At least when we win the fans (on HF) are the happiest bunch and we rarely complain. There are a lot of fanbases that whine and ***** even when they're winning.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Id think they'd like to get back to that when they get the personnel in they want.

Agreed and a version can work in the NHL... You just need the horses to run it. The Avs certainly don't.

Perhaps he used it for the few years before Roy was coaching, but I don't know if it's really fair to pin it on Tourigny, since Roy used it for 8 years on his own, and was a big believer in it.

I don't think pinning it is the right word (negative connotation). It isn't a bad system (as evidenced by the Red Wings who run a similar system), it just wasn't working for this group.

Tourigny was the coach who brought popularity to the system in the Q (a number of teams run it there) and Roy followed suit. They are buddies and collaborated on the system, but make no mistake the system is Tourigny's slant on man to man.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not a very good game tonight but hardly our worst like some have said. The 1st was pretty good. The second was terrible but have to give credit to the Blues...they have a very strong team. The third was good but how much was due to the Blues staying back to protect their 2-goal lead.

I don't think effort was the Avs' problem tonight. I didn't see a lack of effort. Our main problem was again passing. The following is what I think the Avs' problems are most of the games:

1. Bad outlet passes to our FWDs
2. Bad reception of said outlet passes.
3. Stop trying to make 60-100 foot passes. Leads to too many turnovers.
4. FWDs are not quick enough in getting into position to give puck carrier options. And when they do give an option, the puck carrier is too slow to react. Can rarely make more than 2-3 passes in a row because players are not giving options to the puck carrier.
5. Fix the PP:
a. make more accurate passes for one-timer.
b. move the puck quicker which tires the PK players faster which then opens up passing lanes. It also give you more space.
6. Play Redmond. He is a much better PMD then half the other guys.
7. Start winning battles on the boards. We lose most of them even when we outnumber the other team when fighting for a puck.
7. And finally STOP USING THE 4TH LINE IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE AFTER A FACEOFF FOLLOWING A GREAT SHIFT. IT KILLS THE MOMENTUM EVERYTIME.

IMO these are the most important reasons why our possession is terrible.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Also, what is up with our lob-passes to the middle all the time?
When I look at many other teams, they have a clear break-out strategy with 4 forwards starting from quite low and giving the D-men (or player with the puck) good options to make a pass.

The Avs forwards usually go and set up camp at the opposing blue line (at least 1-2 players).

This highly prevents us from giving our D good options to pass the puck.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Also, what is up with our lob-passes to the middle all the time?
When I look at many other teams, they have a clear break-out strategy with 4 forwards starting from quite low and giving the D-men (or player with the puck) good options to make a pass.

The Avs forwards usually go and set up camp at the opposing blue line (at least 1-2 players).

This highly prevents us from giving our D good options to pass the puck.
They were probably told to reduce the number of icings but as I said with no options from the FWDs then they flip it out. Better than icing but they are still giving it away.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Dater's act got old a very long time ago.

2 goals in the last 23 games for Landeskog is unacceptable though.

I can't let this stuff go from last night. What is Dater saying? This is the reason Avs aren't in the playoffs?

Like Zetterberg didn't have a 1 goal in 20 games stretch recently, even Crosby had a 2 goals in 20 games stretch. It happens to the best point producers in the league too. Then he goes and call out a guy that is expected to score like 20-25 goals for only having 2 in 23. Like come on.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the people hating on Dater, a Tweet I saw from Frei this morning sums up why I thought it was a bad idea for him to get put back on the beat:

Terry Frei @TFrei
9h 9 hours ago
One thing I am reminded of in this temporary return to hockey is the low standards for tossing out rumors. We made fun of it in SAVE BY ROY.

Now, I agree that in today's "Twitter World", there is a "low standard" for tossing out trade rumors--but that's the way of the world. You have people like McKenzie, Friedman, LeBrun (really well respected hockey people) who are constantly talking about this (while not really saying anything of much lately), but Frei acts like it's "above it all"...

On top of that, he has to constantly ***** and moan about Morning Skates, and makes sure to plug his books or work in a Denver Broncos angle to an Avalanche story.

The guy is acting like he is miserable to be doing this, constantly saying stuff like "while I finish the season out with Mike Chambers..." (who is equally horrible at his job)

Dater had problems, absolutely, he got on people's nerves (he would probably be among the first to really, truly admit that), but given the "talent level" at the DP in the Sports Department, he was among the better beat writers.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes he whines in the book about how the media only cares about football or basketball yet constantly refers to them and does it again in his articles. He thinks he's so smart and amusing, it's disgusting. And exactly, nobody cares that you don't like the morning skates. If we are going solely on the content in the articles Frei is an upgrade. Dater was getting VERY lazy near the end, sad thing is that he probably has he most talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Frei can be a good writer when he wants to, but he obviously hates this assignment. New blood would do the Post well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad