GDT: Game 46: YOUR Minnesota Wild @ Detroit Red Wings 6:30 PM CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah.. Koivu scores on that move all the time. That was a dumb statement.

Anyway, Parise on pace for 40 goals over a whole season..

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
"Extremely".

If it was extremely effective he would've scored on an AHL goalie in Mrazek. Tell me, when was the last time Koivu scored on that move. Then tell me the last time he scored before that.

Extremely effective my ass.

Well, he's got 2 SO goals this year (I believe that miss makes him 2/4 on the season), so whenever our last shootout was, I suppose.

And nobody in the history of the NHL has scored more shootouts than Koivu, so I would say he's pretty effective only using that move.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Welp, if we want to pick 13th we're doing great.

Billy Mays Here*

It's inevitable at this point. Team will come together and get some wins, but it's not going to be enough to make the playoffs. Better make some serious moves in the off-season or it's going to be a nonstop repeat of this team either barely missing the playoffs and drafting players that never develop into anything or barely making the playoffs and getting booted early.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Really frustrated Prosser was dressed today. He can do nothing better than Dumba... yet he played.

Not a huge fan of ripping Yeo, but his handling of that bottom pairing has been garbage. Yeah Fletch hasn't given him a lot to work with... but come on.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

It's inevitable at this point. Team will come together and get some wins, but it's not going to be enough to make the playoffs. Better make some serious moves in the off-season or it's going to be a nonstop repeat of this team either barely missing the playoffs and drafting players that never develop into anything or barely making the playoffs and getting booted early.

Yeah, I get what you guys want, and it's obviously enticing, but I think hoping for a top 3-5 pick is just a pipe.

The team's just not that bad.

Billy Mays Here*

Yeah, I get what you guys want, and it's obviously enticing, but I think hoping for a top 3-5 pick is just a pipe.

The team's just not that bad.

Oh there's no point in hoping for a 3-5 pick anymore. It's not gonna happen, but I'd rather see the team at least get maybe a 6-7 pick that they can do something with rather than a 10-13 pick that likely won't become much of anything. The amount of wins we'd have to put together, combined with all the other West teams starting to lose to make the playoffs won't happen either, so here we are stuck in mediocrity all over again.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wow, i turn it off and fill up and we make a huge comeback. we're not that bad & we're not that good. YIKES! how long should we tolerate mild hockey? does an 11th thru 14th pick really fix / solve any of our problems? hmmm go wild.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Oh there's no point in hoping for a 3-5 pick anymore. It's not gonna happen, but I'd rather see the team at least get maybe a 6-7 pick that they can do something with rather than a 10-13 pick that likely won't become much of anything. The amount of wins we'd have to put together, combined with all the other West teams starting to lose to make the playoffs won't happen either, so here we are stuck in mediocrity all over again.

I might go through tomorrow if I'm bored at work and look past drafts to compare picks 6-10 to picks 11-15. Does it really make that much of a difference?

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I might go through tomorrow if I'm bored at work and look past drafts to compare picks 6-10 to picks 11-15. Does it really make that much of a difference?

Probably not a ton. You'll most likely see guys who go to the NHL quicker the higher they were taken. Plenty of really good players taken later in the 1st round. The problem is the Wild always swing and miss there.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Did a quick Excel spreadsheet of picks 6-9 and 11-14 from 2000-2008. Included games played in the NHL, points scored in the NHL.

At a glance, some highlights:

5 goalies picked in these ranges in those 8 years (3 in 6-9, 2 in 11-14), and none of them did well. Didn't include goalie GP in this either.

6-9 GP: 13,820
11-14 GP: 12,846

6-9 points: 6817
11-14 points: 6115

6-9 ppg: .493
11-14 ppg: .476

So the guys at 6-9 have 1,000 more GP with one less position counted (3 goalies vs. 2 goalies), which isn't really all that significant. Especially looking at PPG numbers, very minimal difference in success. Quite a few good players were drafted 11-14 in these years.

The 6-9 range produced 9 all-stars
The 11-14 range produced 8 all-stars
Again, not much of a difference.

I found the biggest difference came in the number of busts, which for the sake of this I classified as guys who have played less than 100 games.
The 6-9 range produced 6
The 11-14 range produced 10

If someone wants to go back and do the 90s, be my guest, that's too much work for me.

Basically the gist is you're more likely to get a successful player in the 6-9 range, although on average they all score roughly the same.

The other thing you realize if you look at drafts from 2009-2012, the 6-9 range are more likely to hit the NHL and contribute sooner than 11-14.

Although like BurnsyMN said, the problem is the Wild swing and miss on most of their picks, but that's why it's more important that we draft higher, giving us a higher chance at a successful player, who can make an impact sooner.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Did a quick Excel spreadsheet of picks 6-9 and 11-14 from 2000-2008. Included games played in the NHL, points scored in the NHL.

At a glance, some highlights:

5 goalies picked in these ranges in those 8 years (3 in 6-9, 2 in 11-14), and none of them did well. Didn't include goalie GP in this either.

6-9 GP: 13,820
11-14 GP: 12,846

6-9 points: 6817
11-14 points: 6115

6-9 ppg: .493
11-14 ppg: .476

So the guys at 6-9 have 1,000 more GP with one less position counted (3 goalies vs. 2 goalies), which isn't really all that significant. Especially looking at PPG numbers, very minimal difference in success. Quite a few good players were drafted 11-14 in these years.

The 6-9 range produced 9 all-stars
The 11-14 range produced 8 all-stars
Again, not much of a difference.

I found the biggest difference came in the number of busts, which for the sake of this I classified as guys who have played less than 100 games.
The 6-9 range produced 6
The 11-14 range produced 10

If someone wants to go back and do the 90s, be my guest, that's too much work for me.

Basically the gist is you're more likely to get a successful player in the 6-9 range, although on average they all score roughly the same.

The other thing you realize if you look at drafts from 2009-2012, the 6-9 range are more likely to hit the NHL and contribute sooner than 11-14.

Although like BurnsyMN said, the problem is the Wild swing and miss on most of their picks, but that's why it's more important that we draft higher, giving us a higher chance at a successful player, who can make an impact sooner.
They don't keep them in the ahl long enough.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Also, since I skipped the 10th spot, I'll do that separately.

GP: 2,101
PPG: .347
Busts: 4
All-Stars: 0 (No, not even 2003, when everyone was an all-star)

Apparently the 10th spot is NOT a good place to be. Brodin and Nichushkin are going to be competing for best skater drafted at 10 since Bobby Holik in 1989.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I did a quick analysis, but if you feel you want to be more thorough or that I left out key information, please go through and re-do it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They don't keep them in the ahl long enough.

They really don't; as well, after picking Dumba and seeing how far back his development is, I think the Wild need a safer but more dynamic prospect that is almost NHL ready. Like Strome, Eichel, or McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad