GDT: Game 46: Red Wings vs lightning 7:00 pm et 1/21/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Effort wasn't bad in the 3rd, The difference was that Tampa stayed out of the box in the third while we took penalties. No one was expecting Tampa to play poorly for 60 minutes.

I suppose "effort" was the wrong word, since it's not like they weren't trying. Not at all a fan of that gameplan they executed though, no forecheck, sitting back, getting the puck but then flinging it up the boards and repeatedly failing to get it out of the defensive zone, dumping the puck in and not even trying to chase it, etc. The calls weren't the only difference (damn their PP is good though, Kucherov is deceptive like no other player).

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Has anyone noticed that Seider's game has gone completely defensive? One point so far on the month.

By no means is this a complaint, I feel his play in our zone has been great recently, he has been a master of removing people from the puck when they are near the boards, just bodies them up and it is over.

We are winning, and goals against are down this month. Reason 1 is certainly Lyon, but feels like reason 2 is Mo being rededicated to defense and not pinching so much.
The channels I listen to (WWP, THG) point out that Seider-Walman are munching all the top D minutes and that is stifling their offensive creativity. I dk if that's true, but that 's what they say.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Every time they replay Sprong's goal I think of this comment and laugh all over again.
1705908974242.png

...Creepy ass internet nerds have used AI to make deep fakes with less, :laugh:.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
First game this year scoring 2 goals or less and winning!

Heck yeah, nice win. Good switch with Jimmy and Danny.

DeKeyser wasn't amazing but he's not bad. He did exactly what he needs to keep that job. Not Ozzy yet but was solid for the broadcast. I'd argue he was also better than Murphy.

Reactions: raymond23

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lyon was great also, but you can't honestly compare him to Vasilevsky. Lyon has been great for a short sample size, Vas has been the best goalie in the league for 5 years

I'm quite comfortable with Lyon in net, small sample size or not. He's got great positioning, good technique and decent reflexes. The fundamentals are all there, and that's what I like to see out of a goalie. I think his play is sustainable as long as he stays healthy.

The length of his next contract is the big question mark, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I suppose "effort" was the wrong word, since it's not like they weren't trying. Not at all a fan of that gameplan they executed though, no forecheck, sitting back, getting the puck but then flinging it up the boards and repeatedly failing to get it out of the defensive zone, dumping the puck in and not even trying to chase it, etc. The calls weren't the only difference (damn their PP is good though, Kucherov is deceptive like no other player).
This has become a very cliche response that is over used around here. Tampa, a very good team, pushed very hard in the third period and forced us to spent a good deal of time in the defensive zone. We got hemmed in for long stretches and struggled to move the puck against their pressure. To suggest that Tampa had no impact on our play with the puck is very disingenuous. We didn't chip pucks off of the glass when there were easy controlled outlet passes available. If we learned anything from the Blashill era it is how difficult it is to establish an aggressive forecheck when you need to change lines every time you exit the defensive zone. Power play time frequently creates 5 v 5 momentum. We saw that from the Wings in the 2nd.

Now if your argument is that Tampa really isn't a good team, we probably shouldn't be celebrating this victory.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This has become a very cliche response that is over used around here. Tampa, a very good team, pushed very hard in the third period and forced us to spent a good deal of time in the defensive zone. We got hemmed in for long stretches and struggled to move the puck against their pressure. To suggest that Tampa had no impact on our play with the puck is very disingenuous. We didn't chip pucks off of the glass when there were easy controlled outlet passes available. If we learned anything from the Blashill era it is how difficult it is to establish an aggressive forecheck when you need to change lines every time you exit the defensive zone. Power play time frequently creates 5 v 5 momentum. We saw that from the Wings in the 2nd.

Now if your argument is that Tampa really isn't a good team, we probably shouldn't be celebrating this victory.
And I don't think you can argue that Tampa isn't equal or better than us personnel wise. They aren't the cup winning TB teams but a team that has Vasi, Sergachev, Hedman, Point, Kucherov, Stamkos, Cirelli, Cernak is still a good team. A team that can certainly put together a very strong 20 min stretch at least especially if they are getting a bunch of PP time.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

Tampa is a great team, but we sit on leads like this against everyone, so I don't think it's just down to the Lightning's strong play.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What the hell was that performance from Vasi. Shoulda been 5-1.

Kinda ignoring the strong play and some puck luck for Lyon. He made 2 snow angel saves, lol. Game would've been 4-3 with average NHL goalies, either way the Wings won by a goal so end result is the same.

Now if Husso or Reimer was in goal, this would've been a loss, especially considering how both teams played in the 3rd. Lyon beat Vas and that's a good thing.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Lyon was great also, but you can't honestly compare him to Vasilevsky. Lyon has been great for a short sample size, Vas has been the best goalie in the league for 5 years
Ok but Lyon has literally never been given the chance to prove himself. I'm not saying he's vasy but he's been lights out for us

Reactions: KJoe88

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lyon reminds me of someone who just never got a chance to shine because of reasons.

It was his choice to leave Yale early and sign an ELC with the Flyers. He basically picked the wrong team as an undrafted college FA.

There must also be a reason why coaches don't like him. I don't know what it is, even Fester had him as the third starter, and Fester was a college goalie. The only thing I could nitpick about his game is that he goes down early, but he's compensated so far with a decent glove hand.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad