GDT: Game 45: Lightning @ Sabres - 1/12 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Pegula needs smarten up and stop picking former players to run the team. Botteril stopped playing due to concussions (likely brain damage). LaFontaine was the same. Why hire someone to run the team who may not be capable of running it due to injuries suffered during their playing career.

We should stop doing things the dinosaur way and think out of the box. Go with some math wizard who knows the game well, but has never played, and make him the GM. Yes, we'd be laughed at like the Oakland As were when they went full math to buld their team, but they were simply ahead of the curve

Cmon we get to argue about exciting meaningful hockey.. He has built a core of high energy, high effort and players grateful to be playing every night that shamed the rest of our young stars to play the right way (pretty smart) .. What an excellent group with the right attitude to slowly add more highly skilled players that dont think they come before the group. (prob not... ie seguin .. duchene..). We would all love a Hawrechuk .. I actually believe everyone in Roc gets a shot and being honorable pays off , guys arent betrayed , they still buy in all year and we get valuable experience playing in the... well you know the word.. And if they are close thoae that worked hard and earn a spot are rewarded with a new toy with the right attitude.. I hope.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Good angle, can see eichel pull himself closer to the boards to get around. Also can see pretty clearly that his elbow was firmly pulled against his own body and the only contact was with McDonaugh's numbers, it was nowhere near his head. Eichels entitled to his space as well, you cant just clog the only lane a player has to the puck and get in his way, that's interference.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
We are fans and can blame refs all we want.

They are an average team. They played well enough to gain the lead. If the refs called the game properly then their chance of winning would have gone up signifanctly.

As a fan, who wants to see my team win, I am mad that the refs had such s huge influence in the game.

The lightning being the best team in the league is largely irreverent to how I feel about what transpired tonight.
Unfortunately I must live in "reality" by agreeing with every word.. As we get more respect they dont get a dive called against them at home and we win.. Sorry , the homer in me just couldnt resist.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
What's really irritating is watching Scandella submarine Ristolainen, who has more chemistry with Pilut than I've ever seen him have with another hockey player. It'll be even more irritating if that giveaway puts Lawrence on the bench for the Canada trip.

I'm not just going to poop on Marco relentlessly though, he has enough of a track record for me to hope that he's not done quite yet, but he doesn't have it right now and shouldn't be playing over Beaulieu. I hope he can figure out what the problem is.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Why is Thompson still being gifted a spot because of his religion? This is insane. He cannot play NHL hockey.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Our guys don't have the instincts of the Lightning, and I'm not sure those are things that develop with time. I'd argue it's part of "hockey sense." When Tampa plays, they fill open areas of the ice like liquid. Buffalo doesn't have a lot of guys good with spatial awareness. I hate to keep dumping on Tage, who has played pretty well the last few weeks, but there were several instances of this with him tonight that were so irritating. A terrible angle to a puck at the boards he started out 10 feet closer to than any Lightning resulted in a lost battle. A misread of a teammate obviously needing him to hit open space, as he shot to the boards below all other players, while the teammate was squeezed out and Tampa was off with Tage yards behind every other player on the ice. He was the most egregious with this tonight, but it infects all of our guys. Jack and Jeff both went to the obviously wrong side of a board scrum and Tampa came back 5 on 3, 5 on 2 essentially because they can all outskate Reinhart. Who is the only Sabre forward I would actively consider as having an understanding this part of the game as the supporting player AND passer looking for his teammates to support in space, since we traded ROR.

Whereas every single random 25 goal rookie the Lightning have added since 2013 has it in spades, as does every single member of their fourth line, whose hands are the ONLY reason they aren't all better players than damn near every single forward in the Buffalo Sabres organization.

I think you may be on to something very insightful here. As an actual real live Geographer (who has been posing as a cartographer much of his life), spatial awareness is a very real quality that is near and dear to my heart (and my economic health!)!

Knowing where to be on the ice and when to be there was described as one of Gretzky's most unique abilities. I do wonder if and how that is measured (quantified) and if our scouting staff looks for it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad