GDT: Game 45: Lightning @ Sabres - 1/12 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Just wait until Tampa returns to playing their starters against Buffalo: Bishop was 9-0-0, .946, 1.36; while Vasilevskiy is only 7-1-1, .941, 1.66.

Right. Sabres played a gutsy kind of game tonight against the best in the NHL. But it's clear we are not serious contenders yet and have a ways to go. Enjoy the build and efforts like tonight when you see them.

Last year was the absolute pits........ Last to first in a season just doesn't happen!!

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
5 points back with a game in hand I believe....

If the slide continues, it won't matter, we'll fall well back of the playoff picture.

Not trying to be negative, but we look like we're done this year, too many flaws.

Not trying to be negative, but also they're done half way through the season while up 3 points on 9th place. Standard.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Is that you’re real takeaway from this game? Somehow this is on Botts and Housley?
Not this game no in general.What I should have put is instead of getting freaked out which is understandable enjoy the young players develop into stars don't worry about playoffs because I don't believe management is worried about making playoffs,I really don't.We played the best team tonight could have won but didn't..end of story

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Botts is the math wizard

I'd beg to differ.

The math said we WERE a playoff team, though we had one flaw, that being our forward group. He dogmatically insisted to wait and do nothing and has turned a sure fire playoff team into yet another failed team that misses the playoffs.

The math said we had a >90% chance to make the playoff. He someone threw that away in a mere 6 weeks but not making any additions, keeping players like Sobotka on the roster who add nothing to the team over positive contributors like CJ Smith.

Even taking the messsage playing Sobotka over Smith sends to the team aside, the straight math says Smith should be the one up here

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Ref's aside (and yes, they sucked...)

Tampa knows how to put an opponent away.

And Scandella deflected that puck right to Callahan's stick.

I actually enjoy it when I see an NHL player do something bad that I just did in beer league. I have a separate compartment in my brain for that.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Not sure how to reply to most of that BS to be quite honest.
What BS? I said enjoy the young players I don't think management cares if they make playoffs I think they have a plan and Botterill won't deviate from it.Fans deserve better than management sitting on their hands I would think making the playoffs would be huge for our young players moving forward but that's just my opinion

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Not this game no in general.What I should have put is instead of getting freaked out which is understandable enjoy the young players develop into stars don't worry about playoffs because I don't believe management is worried about making playoffs,I really don't.We played the best team tonight could have won but didn't..end of story
Fair enough and I agree with a lot of this. I am still sorting out what managements expextations are this year.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
FIRST BOLDED: Yes.

SECOND BOLDED: That's why.

Don't blame the refs.

The refs took our best player off the ice at the most critical juncture of the game against the best team in the league, for doing nothing. They also took our 2nd best center off the ice for getting cross checked in the face before that.

So yes, I am going to blame the refs.

But you can come back with another cliche response if you want, I've played hockey for 30 years so I've heard them all... 'complain all you want, it doesn't change the score' or 'should have played better before that point then the game wouldn't have been in question'

Reactions: vcv and TheStorm

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Fair enough and I agree with a lot of this. I am still sorting out what managements expextations are this year.

I think they are force feeding some of the young players to expedite their development curve. They most likely are just willing to sacrifice another season in hopes of getting there. They most likely would be satisfied with a playoff contention season, so pretty much where we are at the moment. This opinion is based on the moves we’ve seen perform and how the coaching staff is rolling the lines. And how the team is built.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
whats the move botts
The move has always been and will always be sit and watch us slide out so we can draft our Alex Nylander and our Nikolai Goldobin and then be good in 4 years due to unrelated roster moves, giving credit for all of our success to the unique patience we Sabres fans have had since 2012.

Reactions: Chainshot

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
We are fans and can blame refs all we want.

They are an average team. They played well enough to gain the lead. If the refs called the game properly then their chance of winning would have gone up signifanctly.

As a fan, who wants to see my team win, I am mad that the refs had such s huge influence in the game.

The lightning being the best team in the league is largely irreverent to how I feel about what transpired tonight.

I can't blame anyone for being mad about the ref'ing tonight. That call on Eichel was absolute garbage.

But, like, overall, that could be any game. Sometimes the calls go your way, sometimes they don't.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The move has always been and will always be sit and watch us slide out so we can draft our Alex Nylander and our Nikolai Goldobin and then be good in 4 years due to unrelated roster moves, giving credit for all of our success to the unique patience we Sabres fans have had since 2012.

Colin White fan club president here.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The refs took our best player off the ice at the most critical juncture of the game against the best team in the league, for doing nothing. They also took our 2nd best center off the ice for getting cross checked in the face before that.

So yes, I am going to blame the refs.

But you can come back with another cliche response if you want, I've played hockey for 30 years so I've heard them all... 'complain all you want, it doesn't change the score' or 'should have played better before that point then the game wouldn't have been in question'

Yeah, I agree the refs made some brutal calls tonight, in particular the call on Eichel, but the better team won. Despite the fact that the Sabres carried play at 5v5 through the first 40 minutes, TBL was so dominant at 5v5 in the third that they out-attempted the Sabres for the entire game. That's...not great.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Yeah, I agree the refs made some brutal calls tonight, in particular the call on Eichel, but the better team won. Despite the fact that the Sabres carried play at 5v5 through the first 40 minutes, TBL was so dominant at 5v5 in the third that they out-attempted the Sabres for the entire game. That's...not great.

That's called score effects, when your losing in the third period you usually out attempt the other team. On top of that the reffing was beyond "you win some you lose some", every Tampa game I've seen this year has been the same, they've taken the Babcock method of you cant call everything to the next level. Refs stop calling penalties once it's way out of whack and do everything they can to even things up before the final buzzer. Its clear as day what happened, and it's pure BS.

Reactions: vcv

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

The refs are always bad, it's an outlier when they're not.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
That's called score effects, when your losing in the third period you usually out attempt the other team. On top of that the reffing was beyond "you win some you lose some", every Tampa game I've seen this year has been the same, they've taken the Babcock method of you cant call everything to the next level. Refs stop calling penalties once it's way out of whack and do everything they can to even things up before the final buzzer. Its clear as day what happened, and it's pure BS.

ya 80% CF is score effects thanks eh.

Anyway, the refs do this in every game for and against every team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->