GDT: GAME #45 | LEAFS @ CANUCKS | SUN APR 18 7PM EST | SPORTSNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Solid period.

Bit unlucky and, yea, a bit pass happy.

Keefe testing out pairings is cool.

Nice for Nylander to get right back into it with goal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we played this way against any other team we’d be down 2 going into the intermission. Extremely careless and slopppy.

Yeah this is what I worried about. Leafs had a weaker opponent coming off some issues circled on the calendar and brought their pond hockey game.

The kind of dekes Marner was making in the offensive zone was curious. Instead of making the clean play to score he was pulling out all the moves trying to deke multiple players against a team coming off a pandemic. Make it 2-0 and get it over with.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Leafs need more speed on their PP zone entries, every team is setting up a trap that they need to attack with more speed, they're routinely being forced to make the same plays and getting beat on them. Hard to do when your PP is so out of sync, timing is off & they're lacking confidence, opposing teams are playing them as they should.

They also need to utilize a chip/dump more than they have.

Gotta try Nylander as their primary zone-entry guy, he's the best they have, but the problem is the group as a whole, they're not working as one effective unit coming up the ice.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm sure we'll hear all about how strong the Canucks looked now.

If ever there was really a case of the Leafs beating themselves that period was it.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Leafs have had a habit of coming out strong, not finishing on many chances and then mailing it in during the 2nd. Hopefully they keep it going this time and don't give the Canucks any room to breathe.

Reactions: Tlo1

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Hate hearing other sport terms in hockey.

Why call Campbell a short stop? Hes a f***ing goalie, in ice hockey.

I know Hughson used to do baseball games wayback when but get it together.
It's because the puck hopped like a groundball a shortstop would field.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yeah I understand trying to maintain possession, but sometimes the smart play is to just get it out of the zone. Off the boards, flip it in the air, etc

Exactly. I'm fine with that too but sometimes they're going for a break out with 2 guys flying up the boards and then a guy will pass sideways into the middle of the ice. Just silly.

Some of the Leafs have to be more aware in their own d zone. The Vancouver guys a few times were reading that and pressuring them on the breakout.

Like you said... nothing wrong with flipping it out and have a Leaf chase it down. I'd rather that then a gifted opportunity for the opponent.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad