Post-Game Talk: Game #45: Canucks 1 @ Lightning 4 || Save us Frankie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

When does getting a scoring chance and not doing anything with it start to factor in?

He can win the Corsi battle all night, we need production.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
When does getting a scoring chance and not doing anything with it start to factor in?

Scoring chances are actually a stronger indicator of offensive performance than Corsi. One can boost their Corsi by directing weak shots towards the goal from the perimeter, and those shots typically do not have a chance of going in. Generating a scoring chance and missing is still a quality play and one would expect at some point those chances will start going in.

I'm not the biggest Higgins fan, but when someone suggests Kassian should be gifted a top 6 spot because we have Higgins on there, it's just wrong.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Scoring chances are actually a stronger indicator of offensive performance than Corsi. One can boost their Corsi by directing weak shots towards the goal from the perimeter, and those shots typically do not have a chance of going in. Generating a scoring chance and missing is still a quality play and one would expect at some point those chances will start going in.

I'm not the biggest Higgins fan, but when someone suggests Kassian should be gifted a top 6 spot because we have Higgins on there, it's just wrong.

So which do we use? Cf? CF%?

Because it paints a very different picture then what we are reading on Kassian's performance here.

CF60 he is number 4 on the team.
CF% he is number 5.
CA60 is 6 when you put them in order of ascending...

Am I reading these wrong?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Shooting percentage is notoriously volatile. It can take more than a full season to get to something considered sustainable. It's why we see players go hot and cold for a week, a month, or a season. Chasing it around by basing your lineup decisions on it isn't the right approach imo.

arsmaster*

What is a scoring chance? How is it defined by you?

I don't care about Kassian in this debate. It's about Chris Higgins.
Shooting percentage is notoriously volatile. It can take more than a full season to get to something considered sustainable. It's why we see players go hot and cold for a week, a month, or a season. Chasing it around by basing your lineup decisions on it isn't the right approach imo.
Nobody is suggesting it's based on shooting percentage. I'm not.

He's getting less pucks to the net than he did last year, and generally they all appear to not have a chance of going in.

SV% is volatile, sure, but the stats don't match the eye test.

Chris Higgins has 1 goal and 2 assists in 21 games with 43 shots on goal. He's -3, so gladly he's not getting outscored drastically, but we need some goals from down the lineup.

arsmaster*

Higgins shooting% over his career as a Canuck (large sample) is 8.9% (53 goals on 595 shots).

This year he's shooting lower, 5.8%, if he was shooting his Canuck career average, he'd have 9 goals. Still not good enough through 44 games with the prime icetime he gets.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Higgins has always generated lots of scoring chances (and shot attempts) even when he's not producing that well. I'd be wary of looking at his scoring chance numbers and assuming that it'll eventually lead to a spike in points.

Just as a comparison, over the last 5 seasons he has generated basically as many 5-on-5 scoring chances and shot attempts as guys like Toews or Kopitar but he certainly hasn't produced like them.

He's a good and fairly underrated player, but I'd take both his scoring chance and shot attempt numbers with a grain of salt. We've seen how Booth's good possession numbers never translated into any real results.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No one even said anything of the sort.

This whole agenda thing of the boards vs Kassian is getting really old, especially since the majority of us aren't blaming him for anything.
Oh yeah? Explain this:

Not only is this loss pinned solely on Zack Kassian, I can't help but feel like he is responsible for global warming. There is also the fact that he has been propping up the Democratic People's Republic of Korea for several decades, and I think that reflects poorly on his professionalism.

Also, not to state conjecture as fact, but the other day my doorbell rang, and when I went to answer the door, there was nothing there but a flaming paper bag. I heard giggling from the nearby bushes and I'm pretty sure I saw a #9 jersey on the kid crouching down, who thought I couldn't see him. I called his parents, who said he's a "good kid who wouldn't do something like that", but I dunno...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Once again, a team coming at the Canucks with speed creates issues. I know Tampa is creating issues for a lot of teams, but if it weren't for Miller this game would have finished with a very ugly score.

The positives in this game, besides Miller, were Vey and Corrado.

No idea what Vey's ceiling is. He has improved so dramatically from early on, it is tempting to suggest he can continue to improve with experience. Not sure if the team should be looking at him as a centre or a winger.

Corrado is exactly what this team needs, a young defenceman. Don't think there is any question he has pushed Bieksa out of the top four. With two young players on our defence, Tanev and Corrado, other young prospects in the system can fully develop in the AHL until they are ready for prime time.

All in all a good road trip. Beat the teams that could be beat and lost to teams that are clearly better.

"With two young players on our defence, Tanev and Corrado, other young prospects in the system can fully develop in the AHL until they are ready for prime time."

I hope you are referring to next season because at this time besides the project (Pedan) there are no young prospects in Utica getting ready for prime time. It's a commentary on the poor draft mentality of Vancouver over the past several years in regards to D-men.

I keep saying this franchise needs to trade for and draft D-prospects up the ying yang and am constantly stamped down by posters referring to the load of D talent about to pour into Utica next season. Yeah they will be young, but none of these guys carries A+, can't miss, credentials. They are hopefuls needing a couple years or more of development until they are ready. Vancouver looks to be in need of help on the back end sooner than later.

There are a couple of older guys (26) in Biega and Sanguinetti, but most seem to feel they are past being given a look. They "are too old!" I see a lot of sudden found praise for the guy I took all kinds of heat for reporting his being wasted for the first 40 games. I also stated that Biega and Sanguinetti are better than Frankie.

I'm not a scout nor am I in NHL management, but I watch these guys every day and I identified Frankie as being able to do the job even though he has some weaknesses. That seems to be holding up under the test. The other two guys are better than him, but apparently Willie and Benning prefer to continue with the status quo whether they are the best in the organization for the job or not.

After the All-Star breaks in both leagues, everyone will be all rested up and I bet Willie goes right back to his original 7. Sometimes loyalty can be a not so good thing.

"It's pro sports", I keep hearing. Well the goal there is to put forth the best team your organization can put forth. Willie may be somewhat holding that back on the Defensemen end. On the forwards, not much surefire help in the Comets lineup. Lots of workers, but Vancouver needs the same help Utica can't provide for itself, SCORING!

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
"With two young players on our defence, Tanev and Corrado, other young prospects in the system can fully develop in the AHL until they are ready for prime time."

I hope you are referring to next season because at this time besides the project (Pedan) there are no young prospects in Utica getting ready for prime time. It's a commentary on the poor draft mentality of Vancouver over the past several years in regards to D-men.

I keep saying this franchise needs to trade for and draft D-prospects up the ying yang and am constantly stamped down by posters referring to the load of D talent about to pour into Utica next season. Yeah they will be young, but none of these guys carries A+, can't miss, credentials. They are hopefuls needing a couple years or more of development until they are ready. Vancouver looks to be in need of help on the back end sooner than later.

There are a couple of older guys (26) in Biega and Sanguinetti, but most seem to feel they are past being given a look. They "are too old!" I see a lot of sudden found praise for the guy I took all kinds of heat for reporting his being wasted for the first 40 games. I also stated that Biega and Sanguinetti are better than Frankie.

I'm not a scout nor am I in NHL management, but I watch these guys every day and I identified Frankie as being able to do the job even though he has some weaknesses. That seems to be holding up under the test. The other two guys are better than him, but apparently Willie and Benning prefer to continue with the status quo whether they are the best in the organization for the job or not.

After the All-Star breaks in both leagues, everyone will be all rested up and I bet Willie goes right back to his original 7. Sometimes loyalty can be a not so good thing.

"It's pro sports", I keep hearing. Well the goal there is to put forth the best team your organization can put forth. Willie may be somewhat holding that back on the Defensemen end. On the forwards, not much surefire help in the Comets lineup. Lots of workers, but Vancouver needs the same help Utica can't provide for itself, SCORING!

Thanks for a very informative post.
It's always a question whether a guy like Biega or Sanguinetti can make the jump to the NHL but their games seem like they should translate.
It's a shame they didn't get a chance to show their stuff.
Right now I think they're the victims of the numbers game as there are too many healthy defencemen under contract.
I wouldn't be shocked to see a defenceman traded and then maybe one get a call up. At least I hope so.

Also agree with you on our defensive prospects. It's an area that's very weak.
We really lucked out getting Tanev or it would be even weaker. We also lost a pretty good prospect in Luc Bourdon.
The priorities going forward are going to have to be to get more high end defensive prospects and a number one center to replace Henrik. Easier said than done but hopefully those needs are at least partially addressed in the next draft.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Higgins shooting% over his career as a Canuck (large sample) is 8.9% (53 goals on 595 shots).

Higgins isn't a great scorer but if he had 9 goals there wouldn't be as many people claiming he does "nothing" with the "prime" icetime he gets. It's not his fault they can't find anyone better. If he was ever the third best player on the line, like he was with Bonino and Burrows earlier in the year, the line would be really good.

This year he's shooting lower, 5.8%, if he was shooting his Canuck career average, he'd have 9 goals. Still not good enough through 44 games with the prime icetime he gets.

What do you mean by "prime icetime"? He's been helping Bonino play tough minutes. They haven't been prime scoring minutes... they've been tough, defensive minutes. At least they were when Kesler played them.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Higgins isn't a great scorer but if he had 9 goals there wouldn't be as many people claiming he does "nothing" with the "prime" icetime he gets. It's not his fault they can't find anyone better. If he was ever the third best player on the line, like he was with Bonino and Burrows earlier in the year, the line would be really good.

What do you mean by "prime icetime"? He's been helping Bonino play tough minutes. They haven't been prime scoring minutes... they've been tough, defensive minutes. At least they were when Kesler played them.

Simply put, we need someone to push Higgins down to the third line. If he were there, no one would be complaining. Ideally, we try to pry Eriksson out of Boston but I'm less convinced that will happen now since we do not exactly have a lot to offer them.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Simply put, we need someone to push Higgins down to the third line. If he were there, no one would be complaining. Ideally, we try to pry Eriksson out of Boston but I'm less convinced that will happen now since we do not exactly have a lot to offer them.

I'm willing to wait around for the young guys to do it. This team is currently at least 3 really good pieces away form being a contender. That's too many to patchwork together now.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What is a scoring chance? How is it defined by you?

I don't care about Kassian in this debate. It's about Chris Higgins.

Nobody is suggesting it's based on shooting percentage. I'm not.

He's getting less pucks to the net than he did last year, and generally they all appear to not have a chance of going in.

SV% is volatile, sure, but the stats don't match the eye test.

Chris Higgins has 1 goal and 2 assists in 21 games with 43 shots on goal. He's -3, so gladly he's not getting outscored drastically, but we need some goals from down the lineup.

www.war-on-ice.com

They also define what a scoring chance is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad