GDT: Game #45 - 01.18.15 - at Chicago - 5:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
If Dallas had a more talented D-core, Eakin and his line would be a lot more legitimate since their defensive shortcomings could be masked a bit. Tonight they got paired a lot with Demers and Jordie, who both got destroyed, in part because Jokipakka and Oleksiak got few minutes, 10 to be exact, against easy competition in Smith, Erixon, Roszival et al.

It's hard to be a solid checking line when you're having to play the team's most talented forward group while being strapped to human ankle bracelet, Jordie Benn (that Hossa penalty so was unbelievably stupid I can't even comprehend it with mental gymnastics).

They're a solid group though. Garbutt was a plump +3 on ice corsi differential, so it's nice to see his play picking up. Solid win though. I think Dallas is a good team in a conference that's unforgiving to its flaws. The worst team in the Central has 45 points. No other division comes close to that level of competitiveness.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Regarding Eakin, I haven't seen him as being worse this season than any other, and he's producing at the same level. I never saw him as more than a third liner. The only complaint from me is a wish he was a bit better defensively considering his role. He's not bad and it wouldn't be noticeable if they weren't such a bad F group defensively overall. And regarding Faksa being better eventually in the same role..Well, defensively definitely. But can he develop any scoring at all? If we have the same coach and system by the time he makes the jump he won't make as much sense on the third line. Maybe more of a shut down fourth liner. If he can turn into a 30ish point guy man he'd be perfect.

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
People hate Eakin?

He seems to be solid defensively. He has a good +/- rating on the team and seems to score when he needs too and as we expect. Kinda surprised people are so down on him. He always seems so ace to me. He has his dead nights but so do Seguin and Benn.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I've always found Eakin's game is one that you can only really appreciate when you see him live. His puck-hounding is excellent and he moves over the ice very well and very efficiently. I would like to have seen some defensive improvement from him like a lot of people, but I'm certainly not down on him as a player. The hate is odd to me.

MetalGodAOD*

Hate is such a weird word. No one is hating on him.

People just said he's been invisible at times this season and I'd agree. In the game he's not scoring he's been less impactful. That also may be a fucntion of less minutes, but even Ruff said he wasn't 100% conditioned to start the season due to missing training camp.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
The Pittbulls as a line were kind of bad to start the year, seems they are being more physical late and more effective both offensively and defensively because of it

Brand New Stars

If you don't think a player is really good then you hate him. Duh.

It'd be hard for anyone to truthfully say Eakin has stood out in a really positive way on any more than 1/3 of the games this year.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Eakin is an ok-mediocre 2nd line center. He needs more scoring touch, and has to be better at his role in order for me to call him a "good" top 6 player.

He is a great 3rd line/depth player though.

The thing with Eakin is that he has the potential to rise to the top 6, but some of the people are thinking that he is already on that level. Thus whenever he underachieve, people complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad