GDT: Game #45 - 01.18.15 - at Chicago - 5:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I'm the first to criticize Kari when he is bad, tonight he was really good. If he plays even close to this the rest of the season we are a playoff team.

Cole playing like a player in a contract season, hmm.

What I'm noticing is the top 3 lines are all playing really well and the 4th is solid as well. Looking a lot like what I expected to start the year.

MetalGodAOD*

Make no mistake, this game was won in the 2nd period. Could have easily been 7-3 Chicago going into that 3rd. We were dominated and our defensive coverage was one of the worst I've seen us ever give up.

Kari bailed us out and we woke up in the 3rd. Still a lot to work on but nice to see them up the intensity a bit after being embarrassed.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
One game makes up for a season of pure suck?

He's producing at his usual .5 ppg pace as a 3rd liner, plays decent defensively, PKs well, and all I hear is people *****ing that he isn't putting up 25G 30A and a Selke candidate. That's not who he is. He's about as good as you can hope for a 23 year old center. He's only going to get better as well.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Good job by Dallas in the 3rd period. I think that's the best I've seen them play in that situation in a long while.

If they can beat Boston at home they'll be within sight of a wildcard spot going into the break. Hopefully Nill can use the time to consider what changes should be made to this roster for a stretch run.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Also, where the Eakin haters tonight?

Who hates him ? All I've ever said is that he's not a top 6 quality player and doesn't deserve to play there. Playing well on the third line just proves my point. That doesn't mean he's not a good 3rd liner.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Who hates him ? All I've ever said is that he's not a top 6 quality player and doesn't deserve to play there. Playing well on the third line just proves my point. That doesn't mean he's not a good 3rd liner.

I would say most people have unrealistic expectations for him, and a large portion want him to be traded. I think he's a vital part of the future, with the exception of Faksa being better at his job than Eakin, which I don't see happening.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Eakin is a 3rd line center, that's pretty much all there is to it. Anyone thinking anything else is kidding themselves.

There's no doubt he got off to a slow start, but the again so did the entire pitbull line. All three of those guys have played well lately, almost since Garbutt came back from his latest suspension where it seems he's calmed down a bit at the very least.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I would say most people have unrealistic expectations for him, and a large portion want him to be traded. I think he's a vital part of the future, with the exception of Faksa being better at his job than Eakin, which I don't see happening.

Agree about the expectations. When Eakin is judged based on being a good young 3c I think most are pleased with him. It's those that expect him to be a 2c and a scorer first that are disappointed.

As far as Faksa, I could easily see him being better than Eakin but not for a couple more years.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I'd like to see him traded because he has value and he's internally replaceable. That doesn't mean that I don't like him or think that he's a good player. I think he's a valuable trade piece because he's a good player. We'd certainly get a better return for Eakin than most of our expendable players. But I have no problem keeping him on the team long-term either.

MetalGodAOD*

Seguin is 22...

But seriously I think Eakin's defensive abilities are average at best.

Agreed. My only hate is that people and the coaching staff seem to think he's some defensive stalwart. He's not (no one on the team is).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Agreed. My only hate is that people and the coaching staff seem to think he's some defensive stalwart. He's not (no one on the team is).

I'm not sure they do, they might just realize that he is the closest thing we have to a defensive center on the team. If you look at all the pieces they have to deal with up front it makes sense.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
This team looked REALLY good...especially in the 3rd.

Eakin, Benn had a monster night, while guys like Spezza and Cole had another strong game.

Kari was a beast in the 3rd...all those great saves.

I just looked at the standings, but this team can still challenge for the playoffs...and it's not unrealistic at all. They can't afford having another long losing streak though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad