GDT: Game 44: Pickard and Choose | Avalanche @ Hawks | 1/10/2016 | 6 PM CT | WGN, ALT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
This team is rolling right now. Just hope we don't peak too early. ;)

Don't see that happening to be honest. I think some of this (not the Avs game of course), is some luck thrown in. We have definitely won some games we shouldn't, and while we all know that's part of sports, I still do not believe we've seen the best the Hawks can be.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Agreed, and that's the main reason why I always dismissed people that were freaking out about us earlier. We were still in a playoff position when just about everyone other than the Kaner line was in the depths of being snakebitten. Especially for Toews and Hossa, I just didn't buy that that was sustainable.

We're already one of the favorites, and there's still room for improvement. If we can take the Central crown this year, that'll be cool and all, but we all know that this team treats the regular season as something you just need to survive for the real season. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll have one of our usual regressions once we are absolutely sure that the playoffs are guaranteed, but I have faith in this organization to be where they need to be come playoff time.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Exactly. Call me crazy, but with Kane and CC playing the best hockey of their careers, the addition of Panarin, Anisimov and now Danault, I think this team is the best Blackhawk team ever assembled. They should only get better as the year goes on.

It has the potential to be. If we can add a 1LW or Dano develops I think this team might have the most talent we have seen (one could argue 2010 but our goaltending was not really that good).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I think Shaw looks good on Line 1, and has been the best fit for that line out of all of our options this year. I am OK with him up there until it starts to look bad. But it has looked good for the last handful of games.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I think Shaw looks good on Line 1, and has been the best fit for that line out of all of our options this year. I am OK with him up there until it starts to look bad. But it has looked good for the last handful of games.

I've said the same before also. Shaw by no means looks out of place, and I don't think it's a coincidence that our top line has been producing more since he got added to it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

He looks ok there but he looks great as a 4th line player for this team in the playoffs. I think that is why you move him there. You also do it with the hope of increasing the first line scoring.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

He's done a good job but it's still a square peg in a round hole situation. Ideally, someone can step up or acquired to fill that to allow Shaw to run wild as a 3W/4W where he thrives.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He's done a good job but it's still a square peg in a round hole situation. Ideally, someone can step up or acquired to fill that to allow Shaw to run wild as a 3W/4W where he thrives.

I agree. But currently no one on this roster has done a better job than him on that line. Not even TT.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This team is rolling right now. Just hope we don't peak too early. ;)

Last year we did this in December before going into a funk all the way until the playoffs. 2013/2014 we were hot for a chunk of the first half before spiraling until the playoffs. This team seems to get one solid hot streak, goes uneven until the playoffs, then figures it out during the playoffs. I love this streak right now but would expect at some point we tail off for a stretch. Its our blueprint!

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Last year we did this in December before going into a funk all the way until the playoffs. 2013/2014 we were hot for a chunk of the first half before spiraling until the playoffs. This team seems to get one solid hot streak, goes uneven until the playoffs, then figures it out during the playoffs. I love this streak right now but would expect at some point we tail off for a stretch. Its our blueprint!

So? This is an entirely different team. The past is the past.

The concern should be more along the lines of how the new faces on this team, especially the younger ones, will hold up at crunch time.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U

The concern should be more along the lines of how the new faces on this team, especially the younger ones, will hold up at crunch time.

For once, I agree. I don't think it'll be much of a problem if their performance so far is to be any indication, but the crux of your post is correct.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

I agree. Just pointing out a pattern this team has followed the last two seasons before the playoffs. With these young guys now there needs to be continued growth and maturity if we are to contend again this year.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
I agree. Just pointing out a pattern this team has followed the last two seasons before the playoffs. With these young guys now there needs to be continued growth and maturity if we are to contend again this year.

I think the youth might feed this team more than anything. If they keep hungry and keep playing up to the standards they have been lately (no reason to think they won't, to be honest) I think the Hawks end up with a better regular season than last year.

At this point, I have to believe the kids know that if they play well, they'll get rewarded for it (just look at Panarin, he's an example Danault/Gus can look to and see that playing well means you're going to stick, and that means cash in hand.) The core has to be the core, and the depth needs to be the depth, but if the kids can positively impact the team through work ethic, smart solid play, and a little hunger in the areas of the season the rest of the team usually sleeps through, I see no reason they can't go deep again this year.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Exactly. Call me crazy, but with Kane and CC playing the best hockey of their careers, the addition of Panarin, Anisimov and now Danault, I think this team is the best Blackhawk team ever assembled. They should only get better as the year goes on.

No you are not crazy Bobby, AA has really made us that much stronger, amazing what he and Panera has done to Kane's game. Now with Gus we have a mini Karlsson on the backend, at least something i never expected.

A #3 & 4 C with Danualt & Kruger, very nice.

If we find a better solution (not that it's bad) to 1st line lw we are in even better shape.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
2010 was the best Hawks team ever assembled. They were just young, raw and inexperienced. If that team stuck together they'd have won 5 cups by now imo. The core is just overall more experienced and seasoned now to be able to stay at a high level and compete for cups with less overall talent.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The 2010 team was loaded at forward, but had the weakest goaltending and defense of all three years.

But on defense it did have Keith, Seabrook, Hjarlmarsson, and Campbell (as well as Byfuglien). It wouldn't have been too hard to add a piece or two around that.

Crawford was waiting in the wings for the goalie position, and he's way better than Niemi.

The Hawks would have been stacked in subsequent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad