GDT: Game #44 — 01.17.15 — vs. Washington — 7:00PM — FSSW — 1310 AM — 96.7 FM

NukeJukes43

Fun 3rd to watch but im tired of winning 1 then losing the next 3 after. These random wins arent doing **** for us.

NukeJukes43

You guys listening to our owner on the Ticket right now? Brutally honest. Prob had some drinks.

Damn wish i was listening. Good on him though, he's paying big bucks to revamp this franchise and he deserves a better product on the ice. Guy obviously loves the sport and his team.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
What did Gaglardi said??!!

Good points, now off to Chicago to do what WPG did yesterday.. Hope Daley is back

EDIT: Well that was quick:

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 7s8 seconds ago

Trevor Daley out next two games leading up to All-Star break.

Last edited:

MetalGodAOD*

Joki was good tonight, maybe Daley can rest a bit and be better for the last stretch. Or something.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Just tuned in- what'd I miss?

Let me start off with this: I've been drinking. Now that we have that out of the way...

He mentioned 3-4 times (unprovoked) "if we miss the playoffs" and several other points that you don't typically hear from an owner. It was very unusual. I loved it though. Terrific insight. I'd be surprised if the audio ends up resurfacing from an official page.

I really hope someone else on here was listening.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Let me start off with this: I've been drinking. Now that we have that out of the way...

He mentioned 3-4 times (unprovoked) "if we miss the playoffs" and several other points that you don't typically hear from an owner. It was very unusual. I loved it though. Terrific insight. I'd be surprised if the audio ends up resurfacing from an official page.

I really hope someone else on here was listening.

I tuned in about 2 minutes or so after you posted. He said that if Lehtonen plays well the Stars will make the playoffs. He then said that even though the Stars are not in a playoff position yet, he still thinks that they will make the playoffs.

He said that he has a five year plan and he isn't going to waver from it. He also said something about how he has reasons for all of his moves, even if they are hard to understand. He mentioned something about saving cap space for resigning key players like Benn and Seguin when their contracts are up.

He was asked about the sale of the Texas Stars and he said their main role was development for the Dallas Stars, and owning them helps with that. He was asked about how he watches the games, and the main takeaway from that question was that he talks a lot more with Nill than he does with Ruff. He thinks that Ruff is the best coach in the league, or something along those lines.

Then he was asked about his relationship with the other owners of the sports teams in Dallas.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I tuned in about 2 minutes or so after you posted. He said that if Lehtonen plays well the Stars will make the playoffs. He then said that even though the Stars are not in a playoff position yet, he still thinks that they will make the playoffs.

He said that he has a five year plan and he isn't going to waver from it. He also said something about how he has reasons for all of his moves, even if they are hard to understand. He mentioned something about saving cap space for resigning key players like Benn and Seguin when their contracts are up.

He was asked about the sale of the Texas Stars and he said their main role was development for the Dallas Stars, and owning them helps with that. He was asked about how he watches the games, and the main takeaway from that question was that he talks a lot more with Nill than he does with Ruff. He thinks that Ruff is the best coach in the league, or something along those lines.

Then he was asked about his relationship with the other owners of the sports teams in Dallas.

Great recap. Thanks.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Great recap. Thanks.

Someone posted on Twitter that Gaglardi

Basically said the team bought into their own media hype for first 25 games & thought they could half-ass their way to success

Not his exact words, but that's the gist.

So it looks like I missed most of the interesting stuff. I hope the whole interview surfaces somewhere.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Didn't listen to the interview at all, just commenting on what has been posted here.

Interesting comments on Kari and Ruff. I think he is absolutely right about Lehtonen. His level of play will be what determines whether we make it or not. Biggest thing between this season and last is his inconsistent play and inability to keep the Stars in games. Lindback's awful play alone may end up costing the Stars a playoff spot when this is all said and done but you really don't have much hope (with this defense) if your starter can barely maintain .900.

As for Ruff, I understand the frustration all of us have here at times. We look at things on a micro level so we look at things like Jordie Benn getting too much playtime and what not as clear slights against Ruff. However it is important to look at the bigger picture here. Nichushkin, Peverley, and Nemeth have essentially been out the whole season. At times this team has iced three rookie d-men and usually plays at least 2 every night. Hemsky was **** for essentially the first 15 odd games of the season. The goaltending has been awful.

All that and the Stars are currently 4 points out of a playoff spot. The Dallas Stars are also currently the #3 offense in the NHL. I think there are things that can be clearly be blamed on coaching (PP) and a lot of things go wrong that weren't exactly anticipated (Hemsky's awful early play, bad goaltending from Lehtonen). However given the injuries to guys that I think would really make a difference, the inexperience on the blueline, and the at times awful goaltending this team has endured all season I am not sure we can expect/deserve much more than 4 points out of a spot half way through the season. Its still frustrating as hell though.
Someone posted on Twitter that Gaglardi

Basically said the team bought into their own media hype for first 25 games & thought they could half-ass their way to success

Not his exact words, but that's the gist.

So it looks like I missed most of the interesting stuff. I hope the whole interview surfaces somewhere.

This wouldn't surprise anyone unfortunately. The commitment to team defense from the forwards was simply not there at all at the beginning of the season. Wouldn't shock me either if maybe Lehtonen didn't keep up enough with his conditioning or something. We know that he played through an injury at some point this season too. Could also refer to Hemsky whose production has been night and day before/after the healthy scratch. All speculation of course but nothing would surprise me.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Gaglardi most direct points:
- Took shots at Hemsky and Spezza by saying they came up in organizations where attention to detail and effort aren't expected. Said the Stars are trying to break them of habits learned from the Oilers and Sens. Mentioned Spezza sat a few shifts in the third because Ruff needed to knock some Ottawa out of Spezza.
- "If Kari played like Kari, we'd be in the playoffs."

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As for Ruff, I understand the frustration all of us have here at times. We look at things on a micro level so we look at things like Jordie Benn getting too much playtime and what not as clear slights against Ruff. However it is important to look at the bigger picture here. Nichushkin, Peverley, and Nemeth have essentially been out the whole season. At times this team has iced three rookie d-men and usually plays at least 2 every night. Hemsky was **** for essentially the first 15 odd games of the season. The goaltending has been awful.

All that and the Stars are currently 4 points out of a playoff spot. The Dallas Stars are also currently the #3 offense in the NHL. I think there are things that can be clearly be blamed on coaching (PP) and a lot of things go wrong that weren't exactly anticipated (Hemsky's awful early play, bad goaltending from Lehtonen). However given the injuries to guys that I think would really make a difference, the inexperience on the blueline, and the at times awful goaltending this team has endured all season I am not sure we can expect/deserve much more than 4 points out of a spot half way through the season. Its still frustrating as hell though

The big picture is important but a lot of those things are unrelated so it's fair to harp on the bad that the coaches do have control over. We knew going into this year the defense was going to be a crap shoot and in all likelihood we weren't going to get anything from our backup goalie.

Lehtonen deserves his own blame but Ruff and the other coaches who have anything to do with the PP whatsoever are entirely to blame for that one thing that was supposed to be a bright spot being a major weakness. We added Jason Spezza and somehow the PP is even worse than last year. Think about it, we have Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, and Jason Spezza on our 1st PP unit and the Stars are owners of the 25th ranked PP. To top it off, we FINALLY found a PP QB on defense but for some inexplicable reason he has been virtually banished from the PP entirely. Klingberg finally got back on the top unit for at least part of this game and boom, PP goal. The difference in puck movement and shooting lanes opening up was night and day from what Goligoski, Demers, or Daley give you back there.

It's unacceptable. If this were a Canadian or northern market the coaches and Ruff in particular would have to actually answer these questions.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I'm liking how the team has been playing overall despite the loses and the usual stupid mistakes.

Spezza has been way more effective as of late, same said with Hemsky and Cole.

There are still issues (obviously), but it looks much better than what the team was few months ago.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
#3 in the league in scoring. If we had a powerplay we'd be the top scoring team in the league.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Doesn't we also have 9.47 sh% good for fourth in the NHL, I dunno how much of that is luck or skill though.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201213&sit=5v5&sort=SHPCT&sortdir=DESC

We have had a high shooting percentage this year, but we also are the 3rd or 4th best team in the league at shot attempt generation rate 5 on 5 - the only teams that direct more pucks at the net 5 on 5 (per minute of play) are Chicago and LA. So if we took shooting percentage out of it and just went by number of attempts on net, Dallas would still be high in the "offense" department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad