GDT: Game #43 -- Wed Apr 17, 2013 - Red Wings @ Flames - 9:30 p.m.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I wish he would play his old game. I don't know how many times this year guy gets the puck in the slot and just holds it then passes or keeps skating. He used to shoot there all the time. On the power play and in the cycle. It blows my mind. It's not just tonight. I've seen it all season. Pierre and Mickey have pointed it out as well.

Franzen had a grade A scoring chance tonight and gave it to Z at a terrible angle. Datsyuk missed the net god knows how many times. It seemed like 5 or 6. Zetterberg was 1 inch off of sniping kipper. Our best players should have got goals for us and they didn't capitalize. And the chances were there.

Oh I totally agree. He's got a great shot and he still hesitates to use it. He could be better.

But I don't understand the certain few who still criticize him for laziness at this point.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
i have also noticed and posted about it before. datsyuk often plays like a defensive midfielder. that has helped the team defensively, and is probably important for his backchecking, but it has also probably limited his offense. it is possible that a more defensive position means his unit has more time in the offensive zone, b/c counterattacks get stopped more quickly, but it also means chances in the offensive zone are fewer and less likely to become goals.

i don't think datsyuk is as fast or dynamic as he was a few years ago, which is probably related to his knee injury last year. he often looks tired to me.

When I see him play I just don't see him trusting his defencemen as much anymore. Watching his play evolve from previous years, seeing his shot totals decrease year by year. He used to be a great defensive forward in our own zone and then an offensive God in the attacking zone because he didn't have to worry. Then slowly we lost our defensemen (Chelios, Rafalski, Stuart, Lidstrom) now he plays cautiously relying on his wing to score while he creates an offense in case he needs to go back to play defense.

Aug 6, 2012
I wish he would play his old game. I don't know how many times this year guy gets the puck in the slot and just holds it then passes or keeps skating. He used to shoot there all the time. On the power play and in the cycle. It blows my mind. It's not just tonight. I've seen it all season. Pierre and Mickey have pointed it out as well.

Franzen had a grade A scoring chance tonight and gave it to Z at a terrible angle. Datsyuk missed the net god knows how many times. It seemed like 5 or 6. Zetterberg was 1 inch off of sniping kipper. Our best players should have got goals for us and they didn't capitalize. And the chances were there.

Datsyuk misses the net a ridiculous amount of times. It's always on the most prime scoring chances too.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
A Mark Messier-esque guarantee might be going a bit too far, but I think we're still in an alright position for the 8th seed.

Funny how the end stretch of the season mirrors a ton of our games this year. God forbid we get an insurance goal or pick up the easy wins/points to make it easier on ourselves. Hopefully unlike many of our games, we don't freakin' blow our lead.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
lol, cant believe there are people out there they belive the flames will win.
stats:
flames had only a single loss. all the other was at least 2 losses in a row. so the flames are due for a loss again.
further they are done for the season. like nashville. if the wings put at least mediocre effort in this they will win.
jones is very tempting for the most teams. so another reason to loose.
but at all the flames will not score more then one and the wings will not score less then 3.
should be an easy win for the wings.
and i dont believe the wings will loose a single remaining game in regulation. they will fetch at least a single point in all remaining games.

You know what, it's time for everyone on these boards to pay attention to this guy! Let's all be as optimistic as him, all this gloom and doom is really sinking our morale!

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
The only problem with Howie is that he doesn't have a team to bail him out on the scoreboard against a frigging bottom feeder if he has a bad night personally, which is inevitable for any goalie.

RedWingsNow*

Oh I totally agree. He's got a great shot and he still hesitates to use it. He could be better.

But I don't understand the certain few who still criticize him for laziness at this point.

Because until 2 weeks ago, he spent the season playing lazy, disengaged hockey.

And maybe had he bothered to show up in January and February, Detroit would be a bit safer.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
A Mark Messier-esque guarantee might be going a bit too far, but I think we're still in an alright position for the 8th seed.

Funny how the end stretch of the season mirrors a ton of our games this year. God forbid we get an insurance goal or pick up the easy wins/points to make it easier on ourselves. Hopefully unlike many of our games, we don't freakin' blow our lead.

Yep our how about the fact that had we picked up more then the 3/10 points we did against the Jackets, how about we win one of the games we lost in regulation. We'd be up on them by 2 points right now. Us not in the playoffs can come directly back to not wining against them this year. :shakehead

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
Yep our how about the fact that had we picked up more then the 3/10 points we did against the Jackets, how about we win one of the games we lost in regulation. We'd be up on them by 2 points right now. Us not in the playoffs can come directly back to not wining against them this year. :shakehead

The stretch of games a month ago(ish) where we would score 2 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game, only to blow the lead and lose? :shakehead

Those were the games that would have been our safety right about now...

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Because until 2 weeks ago, he spent the season playing lazy, disengaged hockey.

And maybe had he bothered to show up in January and February, Detroit would be a bit safer.

Maybe being misused was a part of that? How about just being happy that he's improving?

You could say the same of the rest of our invisible top 6 over the last two weeks. Production has been horrible. Any of them show up against the Blues, Sharks, Hawks, or tonight, we would be sitting comfortably.

Countless factors over the season including blown leads and Columbus series would also make us safer. We're in the playoff bubble hunt NOW. I'm not worried about things we could have changed in hindsight. Focus on right now.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Every team can talk about "coulda, woulda, shoulda", but the reality is that this is roughly where a lot of us predicted the Wings to end up at - in a group of teams fighting for the last couple playoff spots. I think the current standings are fairly indicative of where the team is talent-wise.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The stretch of games a month ago(ish) where we would score 2 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game, only to blow the lead and lose? :shakehead

Those were the games that would have been our safety right about now...

Those hurt but being able to take away point from the team you're chasing, being that it'd be a 4 point swing, is huge.

deve

Jan 7, 2011
I agree with those saying that Smith was pretty bad in this game and in general.
Besides brain farts in own zone causing turnovers he is not that effective in offensive zone. He cannot hold blue line to save his life.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
I find it so odd that half of this forum still doesn't recognize that Franzen is improving. He's been much better since he got slotted at center. Better compete level.

Easily one of our better forwards this month. Don't let stubborn grudges change blind your vision.

I am a card-carrying Franzen Hater. I have to admit that since his switch to Center, the guy is finally making an impact damn near every time he steps on the ice. 'Bout ****ing time.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
2009_medium.gif

someone should photoshop :wings onto that mascot's jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad