GDT: Game 43: Sabres @ Hawks | 1/8/2016 | 7:30 PM CT | NHLN-US,MSG-B,BELL TV,CSN-CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Rasmussen/Bickell/Mashinter out, Kero/Hartman back in. No one can convince me Kero/Hartman isn't a way better option. Q doesn't trust that 4th line now at all, I can remember only one or two shifts they played in the third. Kero also looked good on the PK.

It might be a better option. Honestly I'm not sure Q would play them any more than the current 4th line.

I'm not a huge Kero fan personally, but I wouldn't mind seeing Hartman back up to see what he can do again.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Bickell hasn't been good, but blaming him for Ras sucking seems like a stretch. Ras sucks just fine on his own.

Ras has certainly regressed and IMO he is not really a 4th line C....

that is why I want to see the 4th line

Garbutt-Shaw-Hartman....

I know shaw plays best at wing but IMO on the 4th line he would be ok at C......

that would be a great forchecking in your face line and I think it would work....and when Kruger come back for the post season we have more options....

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Rasmussen/Bickell/Mashinter out, Kero/Hartman back in. No one can convince me Kero/Hartman isn't a way better option. Q doesn't trust that 4th line now at all, I can remember only one or two shifts they played in the third. Kero also looked good on the PK.

I can hardly wait for this, imagine how much better this team is?

This situation with Ras, Bicks & Mash are not doing anything and is the same as keeping Rundblad in the press box, no since taking up room on the bench. RS is half over, need to get Kero & Hartman up and going for the time being and maybe for the the remainder of the season....imo.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
It might be a better option. Honestly I'm not sure Q would play them any more than the current 4th line.

I'm not a huge Kero fan personally, but I wouldn't mind seeing Hartman back up to see what he can do again.

Agree with Hartman JD but regarding Kero.....he's not going to provide much offense, but can pk and take draws, i really don't think he would be worse that Ras.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I can hardly wait for this, imagine how much better this team is?

This situation with Ras, Bicks & Mash are not doing anything and is the same as keeping Rundblad in the press box, no since taking up room on the bench. RS is half over, need to get Kero & Hartman up and going for the time being and maybe for the the remainder of the season....imo.

not sure Kero would be the guy until the trade .......one of Ras Bicks and Mash are going to stay up and as much as it pains me to say this I think its gonna be mash....

I would like to see Dano/Ross/MacNiel over Kero but honestly I think the move at the trade deadline will be a big factor...

if Shaw goes via trade which I think he will perhaps along with Garbutt then Kero likely comes up to play 4C

right now Panik is coming up, I hope Hartman joins him....that means two of Rasmusson/Bickell/Mashinter going down.....I would not be disappointed to see any of Dano/Hino/Ross/Macniel or Kero come up for Mash but honestly I think Q wants Mash as his reserve.....

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Agree with Hartman JD but regarding Kero.....he's not going to provide much offense, but can pk and take draws, i really don't think he would be worse that Ras.

that is why he likely comes up to play 4 C at some point due to Shaw and Garbutt likely being trade chips......

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah, you're right.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The key will be adding that LW for the Toews line and getting Kruger back at 4C before playoff time

We can get by on makeshift 4th lines until then.

Desjardins/Shaw-Danault-Teravainen
Desjardins/Shaw-Kruger-Garbutt

Thats a legit bottom 6 for a Cup Champion. All comes down to that LW conundrum. I think we'll get creative with cap space and solve it. Then the domino effect will lock everything else in place.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The key will be adding that LW for the Toews line and getting Kruger back at 4C before playoff time

We can get by on makeshift 4th lines until then.

Desjardins/Shaw-Danault-Teravainen
Desjardins/Shaw-Kruger-Garbutt

Thats a legit bottom 6 for a Cup Champion. All comes down to that LW conundrum. I think we'll get creative with cap space and solve it. Then the domino effect will lock everything else in place.

that is unless Panik turns out to fit on JT's LW.....if that is the case then Stan can get a sub 32 year old high quality number 6 Dman......and rosy and missile can be extras.....and we can maybe keep Shaw for the cup run

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
that is unless Panik turns out to fit on JT's LW.....if that is the case then Stan can get a sub 32 year old high quality number 6 Dman......and rosy and missile can be extras.....and we can maybe keep Shaw for the cup run

Well first of all we better be keeping Shaw. I'd be shocked if he was moved.

Second i suppose Panik might work out, but i just dont see him being that guy for a playoff run. He'll probably last 5-7 games or so then fizzle out. Might be able to slot into the bottom 6 though, not saying he wont make the team at all. I just find it hard to believe that some guy we traded Jeremy Morin for that couldn't make an NHL team last year is going to come in and slot next to Toews and Hossa during the post season.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Beauty of a game tonight. Man, couldn't be happier about the way Danault has been playing. What first goal for him.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
Kind of felt like a scrimmage until the Sabres tied it. Glad the Hawks can still turn it on when they want to.

Oh man of bread - be careful about those swan dives. You don't want to get a reputation. I see a fine in your future.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
Especially with the Blues blowing another two goal lead.

(LOLOLOLOL)

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
See, his argument unravels with Gustafsson.

He is a good player.

But like any young player, he's made mistakes at the NHL level. The same mistakes that other players have made and been immediately benched or scratched for.

The argument has never been that Q hates young players across the board. The argument has been that Q decides on his favorites quickly, and is very slow to change opinion of you after that initial decision has been made.

If you're one of his boys, you can get into the lineup every night regardless of what you bring to the table or what mistakes you make. If you're not, you can play great for 90% of a game, make a few miscues, and you'll be replaces by one of his boys as soon as he has a plausible rationalization (however stretched).

This is a man that played Brandon Bollig 82 games of a season plus the playoffs, saddled Kane with Michael Handzus for same and outright lost a playoff series because of it, actively campaigned and actually dressed Mashinter for NHL games.

Don't tell me he dislikes bad players. That's a ludicrous statement. He's dressed and given preferential treatment to several in his time.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say. Love Q, but he has his biases. Once you are in Q's doghouse, it is very unlikely you will get out of it. I cant remember the last young player to do so. May be Teravainen, but thats about it.

No23

May 16, 2013
The list of good young players from the Q's doghouse that fit what the Hawks do and've been mismanaged and underdeveloped by Q and the Hawks now regret it:

The list of young players in general that turned into something good by playing entitlement minutes while still being not very good and far from ready for NHL action:

The list of young player that Q and Blackhawks have managed correctly and helped turn into legit producers:
endless

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Toews line is weird, everyone rails on Hoss and I get it, he can't throw it in the ocean but man oh man the list of players who work their tails off and GET MORE UMTEEN 5 STAR chances than this guy is very, VERY short! His two way game is still tops for me and I love when the guy is on the ice! I have not seen anyone worse at finishing though in a long, long time and it's killing 19's production too but I would not move him from Toews until, and I do not see it happening, he stops getting chances. Sooner or later he's got to fill the net right?

Shaw on the other hand, has just about zero offensive ability and has no business on any line about the 3rd and I'd prefer the 4th with him killing penalties as well.

Man if they can somehow find a top 6 winger in a trade I think the sky would be the limit again for this team.

And I really like the 2 youngsters (TVR & Gus) on the back end too!

P.S. The Pens announcer (Paul Steigerwald) was just RAVING about Danault in both games this week.

Living here in western PA I loved hearing Staggy praising the kid. He also went on and on about Toews. He said he was in the hawks dressing room in Pittsburgh before Tuesday's game and he was amazed how 19 handles himself...he said he got asked the same questions over and over and over again by different media folk and he never batted an eye, did not get frustrated and gave everyone a good honest answer. He could not say enough good things about Toews and the hawks as a team actually.

Many (30?) years ago my friends and I used to go to Pens camp before Mario came along, they used to hold in in Johnstown, PA. What a blast that was! Anyhow, got to spend time with Staggy in town after practices, great guy who lives this sport 24/7.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Great game. 6 in a row. Gobbling up much needed points

Gus, Hammer and Danault with great games

Bickell making $1m per minute

Garbutt not getting a lot of minutes but no points in 18 games now

But the biggest issue is still that 81 has lost his shot. He's left at least 10 goals on the ice this season. When was the last time Hossa scored a goal?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Toews line is weird, everyone rails on Hoss and I get it, he can't throw it in the ocean but man oh man the list of players who work their tails off and GET MORE UMTEEN 5 STAR chances than this guy is very, VERY short! His two way game is still tops for me and I love when the guy is on the ice! I have not seen anyone worse at finishing though in a long, long time and it's killing 19's production too but I would not move him from Toews until, and I do not see it happening, he stops getting chances. Sooner or later he's got to fill the net right?

Shaw on the other hand, has just about zero offensive ability and has no business on any line about the 3rd and I'd prefer the 4th with him killing penalties as well.

Man if they can somehow find a top 6 winger in a trade I think the sky would be the limit again for this team.

And I really like the 2 youngsters (TVR & Gus) on the back end too!

P.S. The Pens announcer (Paul Steigerwald) was just RAVING about Danault in both games this week.

Living here in western PA I loved hearing Staggy praising the kid. He also went on and on about Toews. He said he was in the hawks dressing room in Pittsburgh before Tuesday's game and he was amazed how 19 handles himself...he said he got asked the same questions over and over and over again by different media folk and he never batted an eye, did not get frustrated and gave everyone a good honest answer. He could not say enough good things about Toews and the hawks as a team actually.

Many (30?) years ago my friends and I used to go to Pens camp before Mario came along, they used to hold in in Johnstown, PA. What a blast that was! Anyhow, got to spend time with Staggy in town after practices, great guy who lives this sport 24/7.

Hossa deserves the ire he's drawing.

As far as Shaw, I've watched him specifically. He does a number of things badly, but chief to it is passing. He simply cannot complete or receive a pass and it's killing possessions and chances

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
I like Shaw. But, I think Toews would really take off if he weren't on the line.

I didn't expect to see so many Buffalo fans at the game tonight. I'd say there were at least a couple hundred of them!

So many displaced Buffalonians across the country- they show up in numbers pretty much everywhere. I was sitting next to one during the game (my dad!).

(Technically I am a native Buffalonian but my folks moved when I was 2. I like the Sabres 80 games out of the year but the Hawks became my team as a kid.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad