GDT: Game 43: Columbus vs. Carolina | 1/9 7PM EST

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
No, that was the guy we traded away.

Wel, if you're as big as him you should be full into the checking game...

The only complaint I have about the kid so far is the lack of physicality I'm seeing... Including in person at the game.

He dwarfs a good 3/4 of the players on the ice, hit somebody!!!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

The only complaint I have about the kid so far is the lack of physicality I'm seeing... Including in person at the game.

It's pretty narrow minded to think that your size should define your game unless you bring minimal skills to the ice and size is your only asset.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's pretty narrow minded to think that your size should define your game unless you bring minimal skills to the ice and size is your only asset.

He seems to not have realized there is more than one way to check. His stick checking is very good. His board battles have been great.

I could care less if he's dealing out punishing hits or not. They are overrated. I also prefer big hits from the forwards if they are going to be dished out; as they can take you out of the play.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

If you're that damn big; you best be using it to your advantage. Not checking hard if at at all is not using your size to any advantage, smh..

That's like saying Chara shouldn't be checking or feared on that front.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

What? Sometimes I wonder if some fans would prefer a team full of Boll's. I'll take a team with talent who can actually play the game.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If you're that damn big; you best be using it to your advantage. Not checking hard if at at all is not using your size to any advantage, smh..

Just stop it. There is more than one way to play the game.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
In other news, I saw Jones take the puck from the defensive zone through the neutral zone into the offensive zone...didn't even look like he broke a sweat. Kid is smooth

:amazed:

I had to leave half-way through the second because someone spilled an entire Pepsi on my back. I missed the rally

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
In other news, I saw Jones take the puck from the defensive zone through the neutral zone into the offensive zone...didn't even look like he broke a sweat. Kid is smooth

:amazed:

I had to leave half-way through the second because someone spilled an entire Pepsi on my back. I missed the rally

You know what this means...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Ryan Johansen is 6'3 218# what's his excuse, he rarely played D much less checked anyone...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I was surprised at how passive Hartnell and Jenner were last nite. Is Boone nursing an injury? He has been barely noticeable of late. Cam was by far the most active, intense "vet" in the game. He really is the only dynamic offensive threat we have right now. (I know Saad should be on that list but like Boone and Hartnell he seems to be playing without a pulse). That shorty Cam had was a thing of beauty. Lots of skill flashed on that play.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I agree. That Lidstrom guy in Detroit sure was a punishment dishing D man. Same with Keith in Chicago. Don Cherry idols. (Yeah, I know thye don't have the physical build of Jones but w(ho)tfc(ares)?

Some guys are never happy.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
(I know Saad should be on that list but like Boone and Hartnell he seems to be playing without a pulse).

I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't say "without a pulse"; he's came down a bit from his recent streak. That was going to happen. Having said that, he looked good with that assist on Wennberg's goal and he did play almost 22 minutes last night - so he was doing something right.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Ok, I can buy that about Saad, although he still had a lot of room for improvement. But Jenner and Hartnell? What happened? Insomnia?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ok, I can buy that about Saad, although he still had a lot of room for improvement. But Jenner and Hartnell? What happened? Insomnia?

Not to be too technical, but unless the insomnia happened the night before it shouldn't have been the cause last night because they both, especially Hartnell, appeared to sleep through much of the game. :laugh:

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Was keying in on watching Jones last night. He was getting more and more comfortable as the game went on. His passing and skating the puck up and out, and his ability to join the rush and be able to get back after joining are what I noticed.

He has all of the tools to become very good. The type that I thought Murray would be.

I am excited to see him continue to grow as a player here into the type of defenseman the CBJ haven't ever had.

As for Jones not throwing his body around, he may grow into that type or he may continue as a defenseman that is good at taking guys off the puck without throwing the big hit. It is his other abilities that make him a well rounded defenseman.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I was surprised at how passive Hartnell and Jenner were last nite. Is Boone nursing an injury? He has been barely noticeable of late. Cam was by far the most active, intense "vet" in the game. He really is the only dynamic offensive threat we have right now. (I know Saad should be on that list but like Boone and Hartnell he seems to be playing without a pulse). That shorty Cam had was a thing of beauty. Lots of skill flashed on that play.

I agree about Hartnell, who seemed tired. But the rest of it, I wonder what game you watched.

Boone had some great takeaways on the forecheck. My only issue was his stupid penalty. He also drove the net a couple times, first and second period, on the rush and got off some very in close shots. Missed the net in the third from in close. The guy is getting chances from right in front, nothing to complain about but the finish.

Saad's driving forward on every play, twisting the other team's D into knots. He made the hole that Wennberg drove in and scored in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad