Pre-Game Talk: GAME 43 2/1 7:08 PM - THE BEAR welcomes the Kraken to Boston - NESN, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Now that Fogarty is in his right spot, 4C, then it's understandable, because I think Nosek at 2C for a game or two gives them a better chance to win than calling up Stud and putting him there or putting him on a grind/energy 4th line.

Nosek should have been a 2C to start last game, but Bruce decided he was better off f***ing with the top 3 lines vs messing with the 4th line.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Nosek should have been a 2C to start last game, but Bruce decided he was better off f***ing with the top 3 lines vs messing with the 4th line.

I guess in fairness the 4th line was the only one that looked half decent that night. Lot of hate for Cassidy around here these days. I feel like he is getting close to the most out of this flawed roster as he can.

Reactions: Ratty and NDiesel

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm heading to the game tonight, can you still get in early enough for warmups? And if you can, what time should I get there for them.
You can go in at 5:45. They come out for pre-game skate a half an hour before the game so around 6:30.

I am off to do some stuff before I head in.

I will leave this here.

Hey Steve, I hope the Bruins won tonight.

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :clap::clap:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
*Checks Seattles Roster to see if any player is without their first NHL goal*

thank-you-god-thank-you.gif

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Do you guys think Lauzon is going to be a plus player on a terrible defensive team?
I would take him back this team needs toughness and he can help there
And playing on a defensive responsible team his defensive play would come around

They arent a terrible defensive team actually. They are 9th in the league in lowest xG against. It doesn't help that their goaltending is by far the worse in the league, but Lauzon has the worst results of anyone on the team.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I guess in fairness the 4th line was the only one that looked half decent that night. Lot of hate for Cassidy around here these days. I feel like he is getting close to the most out of this flawed roster as he can.

The 4th line of Blidh-Nosek-Lazar was outshot 2-8 and out chanced 1-6 against Dallas. Sadly the 3rd line (at least from metrics, although my eyes felt the same) was one of the better lines with JDB-Fogarty-Steen outshooting Dallas 6-1 and out chancing them 4-1 on the night.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Majority of the blame goes to Sweeney for the roster.

However, what has Bruce done with it the last two seasons? The first impactful decision has been splitting the Bergeron line. His every other move, or lack thereof, is as conservative as possible.

The only other "difficult" decision is not keeping Wagner on the 4th line this season. Which was basic common sense.

Example: Playing career AHLer Fogarty instead of Studnicka. Whether Studnicka is a bust or not, not even attempting it is wasting another potential asset.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
*Checks Seattles Roster to see if any player is without their first NHL goal*

thank-you-god-thank-you.gif

Ya but did you look to see if anyone has been on a really long goalless drought?

Grubs BTW has recorded ZERO shutouts this season so seems logical that he's due for a shutout vs Boston lol

EDIT - Looks like Dreidger is going tonight, but still he has ZERO shutouts on the season and has lost his last 4 starts....he's due for a shutout win

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

However, what has Bruce done with it the last two seasons? The first impactful decision has been splitting the Bergeron line. His every other move, or lack thereof, is as conservative as possible.

The only other "difficult" decision is not keeping Wagner on the 4th line this season. Which was basic common sense.

Example: Playing career AHLer Fogarty instead of Studnicka. Whether Studnicka is a bust or not, not even attempting it is wasting another potential asset.

That's on Sweeney. I don't believe Bruce has much (if any) say in who gets called up.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Example: Playing career AHLer Fogarty instead of Studnicka. Whether Studnicka is a bust or not, not even attempting it is wasting another potential asset

Those are not Bruce decisions. Wagner was sent to the AHL by Sweeney, and Stud is still there because of Sweeney. Fogarty is up because of Sweeney. Cassidy does not do the personnel moves. He works with what the FO gives him for a roster.

As for conservatism, you'll find few coaches in the league that are not by nature. Of course the guy isn't perfect and makes bad decisions sometimes but he is not the primary or even secondary problem with the team probably not being a serious cup contender.

Reactions: Ratty

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ya but did you look to see if anyone has been on a really long goalless drought?

Grubs BTW has recorded ZERO shutouts this season so seems logical that he's due for a shutout vs Boston lol

EDIT - Looks like Dreidger is going tonight, but still he has ZERO shutouts on the season and has lost his last 4 starts....he's due for a shutout win

shocked-jon-taffer.gif

Ok, this is probably annoying the piss out of everyone. I'll tone it down.

Reactions: Dr Hook and ON3M4N

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Those are not Bruce decisions. Wagner was sent to the AHL by Sweeney, and Stud is still there because of Sweeney. Fogarty is up because of Sweeney. Cassidy does not do the personnel moves. He works with what the FO gives him for a roster.

As for conservatism, you'll find few coaches in the league that are not by nature. Of course the guy isn't perfect and makes bad decisions sometimes but he is not the primary or even secondary problem with the team probably not being a serious cup contender.

I truly doubt Sweeney is making the Wagner/Fogarty type decisions on his own.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Ullmark again?

What on earth is Cassidy up to with the defensive pairs? I think barely 2 games have gone past this season without them being changed in some manner. Sure some of that is down to injuries and Covid, but a lot feels like reshuffling of the deck chairs looking for the magic bullet that can't be found. We've seen McAvoy with Forbort, Gryz and Vaak, Carlo with Gryz, Reilly and Forbort, Clifton with Reilly, Forbort, Vaak, Moore and Zboril.

I'm not surprised Bruce is going completely away from the pairings we had for the Stars game, because they performed awfully, the question is more why he was trying those in the first place? Gryz and McAvoy is the natural top pairing, Reilly and Carlo are both having poor seasons but they still probably compliment each other better than anyone else (56% shots and goals in favor when they're together), and Vaak, Forbort and Clifton can all be decent parts of a 3rd pair combination. So what's been rolled in practice today is completely fine, but I just don't understand why they've otherwise been changed up so much when statistically and to the eye the best combos are pretty clear.

A trade or two might change it all, but in the meantime, IMO Cassidy needs to cool it with the jumble on D. What he's gone with today, stick with it and only change if injury or consistently terrible performance requires it.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Bringing my two boys (all 10 or under) and my niece tonight. I bought the boys Kraken sweaters for Christmas - the youngest (6) is demanding he wear his tonight, and I may have to give in (if he wears a Bruins hat). My oldest got Gourde, youngest got Gio, and my nephew got Lauzon. They're all very close and all play hockey. I certainly hope no one would give them grief for a Kraken jersey lol.
How cool! Who could object to all that cuteness? Enjoy!

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Agree wholeheartedly. Where’s the credit for coaching Steen, Vaakanainen, Zboril to NHL level standards?

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I truly doubt Sweeney is making the Wagner/Fogarty type decisions on his own.

Your right, I'm sure he consults with Evan Gold as well to understand what it means for the cap and their TDL space. He's not asking Cassidy on his opinion as to who they should call up because Cassidy has no idea whose playing well down there and who isn't. His job is to win NHL games and Sweeney's job is to give him the best 23 guys he think help this team win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad