GDT: Game #43 - 1.09.14 - at New Jersey - 6:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

aloonda*

At least I now know that Tyler hates to lose...

this is where it will be fixed

this is why we want to be in the playoffs (even if the stupid blackhawks take the series) show some fight and hatred of losing

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This 4 game stretch killed the playoffs for this team. Absolutely no chance of getting in with this conference now.

Granted, but come on now....they're six points out with three games in hand, and 39 games still to play. Sure, Phoenix is in the way but I'm not a part of Tank Nation just yet.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
A better question would be to poll Devils fans about the origin of the team's name.

No, no it wouldn't. There was a recent ruckus when they changed the goal song because the crowd was chanting YOU SUCK after Rock & Roll part II and the new owners didn't care for the distasteful taunt in a 'family environment'.

The fan reaction by some was outrage that a team that uses a "Satanic" logo and meaning would care if fans say "YOU SUCK" during a song benefitting a convicted pedophile.

I had to facepalm on that one. 1) no reference to Satan and 2) Gary Glitter does not receive financial benefit from the song being used any longer. Luckily most native to NJ know of the Jersey Devil lore - the mythical winged creature and not a literal Devil from hell.

Even the Mascot (although not winged with a dragon/horse head) is attributed to the correct origins while conveniently displaying a tradition Devil appearance for those not in the know.

530x225bio2.jpg

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
No, no it wouldn't. There was a recent ruckus when they changed the goal song because the crowd was chanting YOU SUCK after Rock & Roll part II and the new owners didn't care for the distasteful taunt in a 'family environment'.

The fan reaction by some was outrage that a team that uses a "Satanic" logo and meaning would care if fans say "YOU SUCK" during a song benefitting a convicted pedophile.

I had to facepalm on that one. 1) no reference to Satan and 2) Gary Glitter does not receive financial benefit from the song being used any longer. Luckily most native to NJ know of the Jersey Devil lore - the mythical winged creature and not a literal Devil from hell.

Even the Mascot (although not winged with a dragon/horse head) is attributed to the correct origins while conveniently displaying a tradition Devil appearance for those not in the know.

530x225bio2.jpg
Cool story bro

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yeah, "diablo" meaning "devil" en Español is on the level of "hola, gracias, como estas, etc." It's basic Spanish, which our Eastern seaboard brethren ought to know we take as more or less mandatory education throughout middle and high school.

It is interesting to know that the New Jersey Devil is indeed an American though, being a right shot and all.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
For the record, I'm in to that cryptid stuff (Bigfoot especially). If you're interested at all, look up the Jersey Devil and read some stories on it. Very cool, pretty eerie. Much more interesting than last night's game.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Granted, but come on now....they're six points out with three games in hand, and 39 games still to play. Sure, Phoenix is in the way but I'm not a part of Tank Nation just yet.

This probably doesn't belong here but I'm going to reply to you, though this is a more broad sweeping generalization about the draft and where you get talent.

If we go back and look at the last few drafts there's always a "faller" sometimes it's just to the late 8-10 spot and sometimes a guy drops to the teens, but historically someone with more talent is taken later than they should be. Obviously most recently that was Nichushkin at 11.

If Dallas misses the playoffs again but comes close and outpaces all the loser teams in the East they'll be left with that lovely 14th pick and the opportunity to grab a game changers diminishes. While it is true that dozens of NHL regulars are taken beyond the top 15 picks the likelihood of drafting a gamebreaker drops every spot you drift back.

The chase is nice. December gave Stars fans a very hopeful view of what this club can be in a year or two but if we're going to miss I'd just as soon miss bad and add another talent like Nichushkin to truly change the fortunes of this club.

Another top 10 pick which could net us McCann or Nylander would go a long way towards shoring up the 2nd line in the future. Add in whatever picks/prospects we can add by selling vets and the club as a whole will be much better off next season and beyond.

Dallas still has a ton of holes, most notably on defense, a good/lucky draft and a shrewd trade or two can make all the difference.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It was rough. I don't think I've ever left a hockey game as miserable as I left this game. Between the horns, the boringness of the game, and the Stars hitting a 4 game losing streak, it was pretty sobering.
Man, I feel terrible for you (and DaStars99) that the New York trip is coinciding with this horrible slump. Hope tonight is better and it's not a total loss. Although this will be the game you wanted them to win the least probably. :laugh:

MetalGodAOD*

Man, I feel terrible for you (and DaStars99) that the New York trip is coinciding with this horrible slump. Hope tonight is better and it's not a total loss. Although this will be the game you wanted them to win the least probably. :laugh:

Yep, bad luck! Still hoping for OT tonight, but Dallas needs a win.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX

I totally see where you're coming from and I'm definitely not Ina tanking mindset. I just see the same little mistakes being made, bad lineups, and horrendous defense. Add all of that up and throw it in with our new conference and it's just not going to happen. Just trying to be a realist I guess. I don't want another top ten pick, but I'm also not riding this roller coaster of doom again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad