GDT: Game 42: Stars @ Avalanche | January 10th, 1PM MT | Heartbreak awaits

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You shouldn't be smiling after the team came out with one of their worst 1st periods of the year in the biggest game yet, and you were at fault for one of the goals by skating past the puck thinking offense, rather then just getting the puck out of harms way.

Iggy's been playing very well offensively lately, but he might be the worst player on the team at getting the puck out of the zone. He just constantly makes lazy efforts that lead to sustained pressure.

Him smiling wasn't the worst of the bunch though, it was Stuart, Barrie, and Holden having a really hearty laugh over something not nearly as important as the game they were down 2-0 in.

I really think this is being made into a bigger deal than it should be.

For all we know they were laughing/smiling at something they saw or a joke that was made to lighten/loosen them up.... Them smiling isn't directly related to them not caring that they were down in the game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They credit being able to stay loose with confidence that they can come back lately. If they sit around sulking or being pissed off then they would have never done anything in this game. I get taking their performance and losses seriously but amongst each other during a game is not the time for that. I'm glad that when things are bad that they can still be a team. I don't see that type of levity in that moment as not taking it serious.

They don't get the lucky breaks in this game, and I bet you might look at it differently.

For all we know they were laughing/smiling at something they saw or a joke that was made to lighten/loosen them up.... Them smiling isn't directly related to them not caring that they were down in the game.

It was a very hearty laugh. If they were in Canada and got caught doing that they'd be hung out to dry by every single media outlet. You just don't do that after an absolutely terrible start to such a big game. There was just no reason to be in a good mood at that moment, and I couldn't disagree more with the idea that they're just "loose."

Luckily Stuart had a strong game throughout, and Holden wasn't too bad, but Barrie was brutal and he looked like he was the one doing the joking while the others were laughing. He needs to get his head on straight because he's had about a month of one mental error after another, and yucking it up on the bench in a 0-2 game is probably a sign of why.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
They don't get the lucky breaks in this game, and I bet you might look at it differently.

It was a very hearty laugh. If they were in Canada and got caught doing that they'd be hung out to dry by every single media outlet. You just don't do that after an absolutely terrible start to such a big game.

Good thing they weren't/aren't in Canada then.

I don't give a damn if it was the biggest guffaw ever let out, I don't think it automatically means that they "cared less" or whatever it is exactly that you're insinuating. At certain times staying loose/positive is a hell of a lot better than being stoic or serious.

I swear, the piss poor start the Avs had this year has just changed this place--and not for the better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good thing they weren't/aren't in Canada then.

I don't give a damn if it was the biggest guffaw ever let out, I don't think it automatically means that they "cared less" or whatever it is exactly that you're insinuating. At certain times staying loose/positive is a hell of a lot better than being stoic or serious.

I swear, the piss poor start the Avs had this year has just changed this place--and not for the better.

Their start has absolutely nothing to do with my attitude towards this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Iggy wouldn't be Iggy if he didn't have a smile on his face on the bench. That's just who he is.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure if someone brought it up during the game, but I noticed Duchene take a faceoff on his weak side, and flip his stick around like he was a righty to be on his backhand. He didn't win the draw, but you don't see players try that too often.

It's too bad he feels the need to resort to this because a couple years ago he was dynamite taking draws on his forehand and winning them cleanly.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
You shouldn't be smiling after the team came out with one of their worst 1st periods of the year in the biggest game yet, and you were at fault for one of the goals by skating past the puck thinking offense, rather then just getting the puck out of harms way.

Iggy's been playing very well offensively lately, but he might be the worst player on the team at getting the puck out of the zone. He just constantly makes lazy efforts that lead to sustained pressure.

Him smiling wasn't the worst of the bunch though, it was Stuart, Barrie, and Holden having a really hearty laugh over something not nearly as important as the game they were down 2-0 in.

Please don't take this badly. But I really think you're overreacting and I also think you're very wrong. Would you prefer the sulky downtrodden attitude the players had when they were loosing under Sacco? The players often say that the key is to stay positive even When things are not going well. If the media is going to make a story out of it that says more about the media than the players. Perhaps that attitude helped them come back and win. You cannot assume that it means that they found it funny or that they do not care enough. Maybe it is the opposite: Them knowing that staying loose is the key to come back in the game. To hell with sensationalist media.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Their start has absolutely nothing to do with my attitude towards this.

Well, what do you want them to do? Sit on the bench, every single player looking straight forward like a warrior from the Ottoman Empire ready to kill? Would you rather them all get up on the bench and bang their sticks on the boards like a bunch of minor hockey players? Want them to sit there with their heads all downward thinking to themselves about every little thing they need to do?

I think you're making way, way too much out of that one moment

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
So, anybody else getting his hopes up we might see one of (or even both?) Duchene/MacKinnon break out of their slumps? Or is it just me at this point?

I thought Duchene looked quite good during the 3rd period.

Edit: Just to add to the discussion, I don't mind players smiling or laughing even when trailing but at this point it really seems that this team has its sequences of not being very focused. Look how they started off the game or think about that one sequence of roundabout two minutes when the stars were skating around our zone without being really attacked or anything.

Then again, they seem to be able to turn it around even during games, I'd really love to finally see a 60 minute effort from this team. And I think the lack of this might actually be related to a lack of focus.

Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada

lets be honest iginlas been in this league for too long and worked too hard for people to question if he even cares.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Didn't get to see the whole game but jumped in to watch Duchene's goal just in time. That was amazing. Happy to see EJ's streak continue.

Not sure what to think about this team. 2-3 weeks ago I thought they were a bottom feeder, now they look like they might sneak into a wildcard spot. This team has enough offensive power for sure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It was a very hearty laugh. If they were in Canada and got caught doing that they'd be hung out to dry by every single media outlet. You just don't do that after an absolutely terrible start to such a big game. There was just no reason to be in a good mood at that moment, and I couldn't disagree more with the idea that they're just "loose."

Luckily Stuart had a strong game throughout, and Holden wasn't too bad, but Barrie was brutal and he looked like he was the one doing the joking while the others were laughing. He needs to get his head on straight because he's had about a month of one mental error after another, and yucking it up on the bench in a 0-2 game is probably a sign of why.

Yeah but that's on the canadian media being ridiculous when it comes to covering hockey because they're crazy.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

What lucky breaks?

And TV is dead on. This team is very mentally fragile. It's pretty obvious to me that they play like **** when they are tense. Remember earlier in the year when nobody seemed to be having fun? It's like they try too hard and think too much or something.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Avs are 8-3-1 since Brad Stuart came back from his injury. He's had 6 points in those 12 games, +5, and is playing around 21 minutes a night. Not bad.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Yeah I think we can let him of the scapegoat hook. Maybe we gave him the money too early but he's earned it thus far.

I'd have to agree. I wonder if the Avs thought there isn't a big gap between Orpik and Stuart, and may as well lock up Stuart for a couple million less since the opportunity presented itself.

Funny thing, while looking up Brad Stuart it showed pictures of his house for sale in Detroit. In both his kids' rooms, there were giant San Jose Sharks murals.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd have to agree. I wonder if the Avs thought there isn't a big gap between Orpik and Stuart, and may as well lock up Stuart for a couple million less since the opportunity presented itself.

Funny thing, while looking up Brad Stuart it showed pictures of his house for sale in Detroit. In both his kids' rooms, there were giant San Jose Sharks murals.

I think that's exactly what happened.

Maybe he kept his house there for a while?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

If it's this house

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/06/25/buy-sharks-defenseman-brad-stuarts-3m-bay-area-dream-house-photos/

Then that's his house in San Jose

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think that's exactly what happened.

Maybe he kept his house there for a while?
Nevermind, it was for sale in 2013 and it was in California. I don't know why I thought it was in Detroit. Maybe because they have him in a Red Wings jersey and a caption that says, "look at the kids bedroom!" Nothing funny about this anymore.

Yeah, I just realized this after going back and looking again. "Bay Area Dream Home" should have given it away :facepalm:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs are 8-3-1 since Brad Stuart came back from his injury. He's had 6 points in those 12 games, +5, and is playing around 21 minutes a night. Not bad.

Its hilarious that people think that was a bad trade for us still.

Sharks fans had way to much of an influence over our opinion on Stuart before the season started.

Change of scenery was exactly what he needed, he's been great for us all year honestly. You cant expect much from him offensively because that's not his game. But he's very good in his own zone.

We'll see if the extension was premature or not, but the level he's playing at right now is absolutely deserving of a 3.6M extension.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
All of a sudden Sakics move look genius. I guess it took awhile for the vets to get their legs going.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, not genius. I'm still not convinced on Stuart, but his play has been encouraging. However, I don't buy this talk about Holden and Guenin somehow playing well. "Not playing uproariously terrible" is still terrible. And both are still having to be sheltered to even get adequate results, which requires the rest of the D-men to have to do more than they should have to.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even if they're improving, they are maddeningly inconsistent. First period against Columbus and Dallas they weren't in the game only to wake up and play well the other two periods. We've seen them being able to put pressure on opponents and win puck battles. They just need to do it shift in and shift out.

Still, there are positive signs. Duchene and MacKinnon are more involved in the games. Landeskog and O'Reilly have played well for a good while. The bad defenders aren't as bad as they have potential to be. Varly is healthy and is tracking the puck as well as ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad