GDT: Game 42: Red Wings vs kings 7:00 pm et 1/13/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Didn't get to watch tonight. How did we play folks? Would be nice to win the SOG battle but who can complain about the recent streak, points are hard to get in the league and they set themselves up nicely for what should be a less pressure filled game tomorrow. Go play your game after getting 7 of 8 points and let's see what happens.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Looks like I missed out on a good game…
Didn't get to watch tonight. How did we play folks? Would be nice to win the SOG battle but who can complain about the recent streak, points are hard to get in the league and they set themselves up nicely for what should be a less pressure filled game tomorrow. Go play your game after getting 7 of 8 points and let's see what happens.
An ugly win is still a win in my book.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It’s really concerning that when another team decides to “turn it on” we basically morph into an AHL team.

The kings got 2 straight power plays on weak penalties. Once they got those back to back goals Detroit stopped playing with any aggression until the last 3 minutes.

Game management killed Detroit’s momentum.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
daniels ignoring live action talking about kings good power play , get this guy out of here
I've noticed this happening a lot lately on radio coverage. It's like management changed, and now the broadcast team has free rein to blather on about whatever color commentary they like, not only during downtime, but during the play! Just shut up and call the actual game already.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I really hate the sit back defence when games get tighter! Up 5-1 and then give up 2, and completely stop playing anything other than sit back, not sure if it is coaching or team, but has always been a dumb way to defend the lead. Give the other team unlimited chances to close the lead.

Seider had a great game defensively in my opinion and has been great the past 2.

I really hate the sit back defence when games get tighter! Up 5-1 and then give up 2, and completely stop playing anything other than sit back, not sure if it is coaching or team, but has always been a dumb way to defend the lead. Give the other team unlimited chances to close the lead.

Seider had a great game defensively in my opinion and has been great the past 2.

Doubt it’s coaching. I just can’t image the coaches saying „You know the drill, men. Hedgehog tactics for the rest of the period. Curl up, play dead, get peppered, do nothing“

Said it before: I think this team has yet to figure out situational hockey and the balance between offense and defense.

Reactions: raymond23

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Doubt it’s coaching. I just can’t image the coaches saying „You know the drill, men. Hedgehog tactics for the rest of the period. Curl up, play dead, get peppered, do nothing“

Said it before: I think this team has yet to figure out situational hockey and the balance between offense and defense.

There are lots of coaches that have their teams play sit back though. Blashill was one of them. If we had a lead going into the 3rd, we always sat back under him, which is why I am not sure if Lalonde coaches that way or not. He is a more defensive coach, so not hard to imagine he might think that is a good strategy.

It isn't them telling them to do nothing, but if coached to sit back now, you are now not playing the way you did that got you the lead and can break the momentum of your team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

You think the other team is not trying?

And you blame the other team when the Wings are dominating late in the game when trying to come back?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
You think the other team is not trying?

And you blame the other team when the Wings are dominating late in the game when trying to come back?
Don't you know that everything that happens on the ice is because of either the Wings' skill, or lack thereof?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think a big part of it is swagger. You have to have the confidence in yourself and your team to go out and play the 3rd the same way you played the first. To go out and be aggressive when it's late and you have a lead, I think, goes against a lot of players basic makeup of wanting to protect that lead and not blow it.

Brining in Kane and making the playoffs is important for the younger guys because of this, imo. We want them to play like winners, then actually winning something is probably a good place to start.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think a big part of it is swagger. You have to have the confidence in yourself and your team to go out and play the 3rd the same way you played the first. To go out and be aggressive when it's late and you have a lead, I think, goes against a lot of players basic makeup of wanting to protect that lead and not blow it.

Brining in Kane and making the playoffs is important for the younger guys because of this, imo. We want them to play like winners, then actually winning something is probably a good place to start.
I agree that this is part of it. But there's a wide spectrum available here. It's not as if the only options in the third period are, "step on their necks and bury them" and, "I'm scared of the puck".

Every one of these players has gone through multiple tiers of hockey, with multiple coaching styles. It's not a foreign language to them, adapting strategy to the situation at hand. And the one thing that confuses me the most is Lalonde - he came from Tampa, whose ENTIRE STYLE was predicated on the perfect balance of solid defense and dangerous counter punching when the opponent made a mistake. That's not at all the same as completely turtling up when you have a lead, so where's that element now that he's in Detroit? I understand the personnel isn't the same, but if the guys here are good enough to get a 5-1 lead, then they're certainly good enough to execute a better system of closing out a game than what we've seen.

Even if confidence could use a boost, it's mind boggling that all these professional players and staff seem to have zero nuance. Hire a damn consultant if need be, but this "light switch hockey" is a horrible way to approach defending a lead.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Fun game, glad we didn't give up another 4-goal lead like we have been doing (despite our best efforts).

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah doubt Lalonde is going "let's sit back boys". More like they start making dumb plays when up and get nervous when the gap closes again. Also all the goals were on the PP so that was weird with how good they have been lately. The first, third goal were great plays on the PP.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
The team securing the win made me actually enjoy that after BSD went for the full "our PK is the best in the league right now wohoo", the Kings scored 3!! PP goals in that game. :laugh:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
lyon2.jpg
1705250334822.jpeg

Just 3 weirdos staring at each other.

• Love
Reactions: FabricDetails

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I’m gonna recycle my previous comment - an ugly win is still a win in my book.
And honestly the win wasn't as ugly as some in that past. The Kings were lethal on the power play last night, then the Wings went into a defensive shell late in the 3rd. But It's not like the Wings got dominated most of the game.

It wasn't pretty, but I don't think it was super ugly either.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
If you're ahead and trying to close out a game, you don't take risks. Stay on the right side of the puck and make safe plays.

I'm of the opinion that the talent in the league is such that just a subtle shift in mentality has huge consequences in momentum.

But you can't blame anyone. Like, you don't want Maatta trying to deke it out of the zone as the last man back. He'd be torn to shreds by the fans. "Doesn't he know we're protecting a lead?!" Safe, simple plays. But that leads to giving the other team all the initiative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad