GDT: Game 42: Halfway Home Edition | Penguins @ Hawks | 1/6/2016 | 7 PM CT | NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
So strange, watching the Blues/Avs game after this one. The Avs won (thank God the Blues have the metal toughness of a frail barback) but their overall system/plan is junior level compared to what the Hawks play.

The effort is there but they are no threat to accomplish anything with Roy as coach.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just watched the highlights. Panarin's second goal was amazing. The velocity was unreal.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Lol for all the negativity before the game, the Hawks played really well. I feel so good for Scotty. He finally got the team to show up in front of him and he was there when he needed to be. Can't blame him for Malkin's goal at all.
He needed this game

Agreed on all counts. Also agree that Darling should get the nod against Sabres. He didn't get a lot of action last night and still needs to free up any remaining rust (physically and mentally). Playing him again, at home against an Eastern team that isn't very good is the perfect scenario to get our back-up ready when needed.

As well, the rest will do Crawford good; the upcoming schedule is heavy and he will get plenty of work.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Just watched the highlights. Panarin's second goal was amazing. The velocity was unreal.

Yes it was. That's 2 games in a row that a replay was needed to verify a goal from an unreal snipe. Just wow.

On a side note: The officiating left a lot to be desired in this game. And good on Jonny for letting Letang know that Hawks won't turn the other cheek when cheap shots are administered.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Yes it was. That's 2 games in a row that a replay was needed to verify a goal from an unreal snipe. Just wow.

On a side note: The officiating left a lot to be desired in this game. And good on Jonny for letting Letang know that Hawks won't turn the other cheek when cheap shots are administered.

Officiating in nhl games gets worse every year. Seems like now the only thing that matters is the pp totals rather than whether rules are actually enforced.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think he is just scratching the surface to what he can do with this team. The way he sees the ice is rare. I have a feeling that we might see 72 with Toews and TT with Kane develops into more of a goal scorer. I know it is one shift but Kane and TT had a shift together in the playoffs last year that one of the best shifts of hockey I have ever seen. They both see the game on a different level.

All this being said I am higher on TT than a lot of other people.

I heard a saying the other day that is so true when it comes to playing in the NHL. It was:
Talent is nothing without the will. That's what I see in TT right now. Talented as hell but for whatever reason doesn't currently have the mental toughness to be able to apply it. He is still a kid mind you, and hopefully as he matures and he gains confidence that will disappear, and he grows into the superstar he could be.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I heard a saying the other day that is so true when it comes to playing in the NHL. It was:
Talent is nothing without the will. That's what I see in TT right now. Talented as hell but for whatever reason doesn't currently have the mental toughness to be able to apply it. He is still a kid mind you, and hopefully as he matures and he gains confidence that will disappear, and he grows into the superstar he could be.

Looks to me like the game is still too fast for tt. Just seems like he's a second behind the play mentally.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

He needs to be more assertive for sure but that comes with time. Not every player has Kane like confidence at the start. TT is a Finn so the more passive start does not shock me. I think each game he gets more and more confident and you can tell how he starts to control his shifts.

Right now we have 3 lines we can roll out in all situations because the 3rd line has the right mix of skill and grit. Desi must feel like he is in heaven right now because he knows if he does to the net or gets open the pick will be on his stick.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Domination by the Hawks.

Scotty made saves he needed, however wasn't really tested like Crawford was the previous night. That's all you need from your back up though, make saves you need to. His only GA definitely wasn't his fault. Not sure I would start him next game, there are a few back to backs coming up where he can get his time in net. Hopefully it gives Q a little more confidence to start him a little bit more down the stretch.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Domination by the Hawks.

Scotty made saves he needed, however wasn't really tested like Crawford was the previous night. That's all you need from your back up though, make saves you need to. His only GA definitely wasn't his fault. Not sure I would start him next game, there are a few back to backs coming up where he can get his time in net. Hopefully it gives Q a little more confidence to start him a little bit more down the stretch.

Darling needs to play more IMO. He'll be fine with more time. This team is poised for another run and that pre-deadline moves. Corey needs some rest.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
Officiating in nhl games gets worse every year. Seems like now the only thing that matters is the pp totals rather than whether rules are actually enforced.

I disagree with this sentiment.

I'm not saying the officials are great.

But I hear the same complaint in every sport. I don't think it's the officials who are different. I think it's the technology. You get to see replays and re-watch games. You get to see things in slow motion time and again.

It's easier now to see when officials screw up. And it gets easier every year with new technology.

Look at every single sport and every fan base and they're saying the same thing about officials. I don't think that worldwide, officiating has gone to $#!&. I think you're just able to notice easier and have easily accessed hindsight.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Look at every single sport and every fan base and they're saying the same thing about officials. I don't think that worldwide, officiating has gone to $#!&. I think you're just able to notice easier and have easily accessed hindsight.

My dad is convinced all NFL refs had a conference and decided to be horrible this year :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, officials have a tough gig. When they do their jobs well, you don't really notice them or forget all about what they did shortly thereafter. When they mess up, you either rage if the call's against you or laugh when it goes in your favor. That inherently makes a bigger impression.

I'm sure it all evens out in the long run, though the potential for human error is significantly higher in the playoffs. But, like players, they have good games and bad games.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
How are the Hawks going to pay bread man after next year? Stan has some work to do this summer.
1st thing is to not buy out Bickell--as tempting as that would be.

2nd thing is start the hard decision process of who stays and who goes.

3rd is to go cheap on guys who should be cheap--no more pulling Runblads or Bickells.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Saw this on Pens board. God knows I'm not a stats guy but this does not measure with what I saw last night, at all.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2008735&page=6

Post #129

The Hawks were dominant and Daley wasn't good.

I thought Daley looked pretty bad last night, he didn't make any major errors where the puck could have ended up in the back of the net, but he made what seemed like a lot of bad turnovers that gave us possession. And he couldn't rush the puck into our zone with any kind of purpose. He looked worse last night than any night he played for the Hawks imo.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I thought Daley looked pretty bad last night, he didn't make any major errors where the puck could have ended up in the back of the net, but he made what seemed like a lot of bad turnovers that gave us possession. And he couldn't rush the puck into our zone with any kind of purpose. He looked worse last night than any night he played for the Hawks imo.

Agree 100% and if that somehow translates into great possession stats...:laugh:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Read the rest of the thread :) . The poster who posted that chart interpreted it incorrectly. Daley was a net minus player last night.

Well that does make some sense.

I thought though the twitter guy said Daley was good and others said Daley, Sid and Letang were good, the rest meh.

Also said possesion was split evenly between Hawks and Pens-that's not what I saw either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad