GDT: Game #42: Coyotes @ Flames - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kesselring has to "stop" that seem pass...he was there and decided not to take it away...that was 100% Kesselring. Cooley was hustling to get back to pick up, but he was already behind Kadri.

He has to kneel down, drop down, do something to prevent that pass.
If Cooley picks him up and there is no goal, it was his responsibility coming across the blue line. This is where Cooley needs to improve, the little things without the puck.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A few highlights:
Got beat, checked fwd into Ingram then took a silly penalty.
Tried to apply a check to someone, bounced off & fell down.
Didn't pick up Kadri on 2nd goal.
That was not a good penalty. I give that Calgary player credit for that reverse shoulder, but I give Kesselring credit for trying to hit the player. On Kadri's goal Kesselring got turned around, but also Stecher let his player go around him as well. Good goal by Calgary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
First 30 mins were ugly and boring. Last 30 mins were sloppy and fun. Zucker sucks. So does Dermott. What’s the point of Brown playing 4mins instead of Carcone actually getting playing hockey?

Valimaki > Brown+Dermott
Carcone > LOB

Cooley looks great. Also happy with Guenther.
I agree 100%.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kesselring has to "stop" that seem pass...he was there and decided not to take it away...that was 100% Kesselring. Cooley was hustling to get back to pick up, but he was already behind Kadri.

He has to kneel down, drop down, do something to prevent that pass.
Correct. Kesselring's back was at Kadri, he had no chance in trying to block that pass, but Stecher got beat and allowed that pass in the first place. Not Cooley's fault. Cooley was like the rest of us and thought Kesselring would play that different and pick up Kadri. Cooley could have played that better as well but he was probably thinking rebound. If you watch closely, when Cooley noticed Kesselring was turned around he picked up speed to try and cover Kadri. It all starts with Stecher getting beat.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No doubt our defense is not playoff caliber. I find it hard to be angry with a player who plays up to his potential. That said, we need better D. I’d take back Chychrun in a country second. I’d also trade significant value in picks/prospects for a 1D or top 10 draft pick and take a potential 1D. We need to balance our talent pool w d prospects as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No doubt our defense is not playoff caliber. I find it hard to be angry with a player who plays up to his potential. That said, we need better D. I’d take back Chychrun in a country second. I’d also trade significant value in picks/prospects for a 1D or top 10 draft pick and take a potential 1D. We need to balance our talent pool w d prospects as well.
Trade a couple of future 2nds/3rds for Ferraro. Trade a couple of current 2nds/3rds to move up for Yakemchuk. The former can help right now and is the same age as Durzi. The latter is AHL eligible after next season.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Correct. Kesselring's back was at Kadri, he had no chance in trying to block that pass, but Stecher got beat and allowed that pass in the first place. Not Cooley's fault. Cooley was like the rest of us and thought Kesselring would play that different and pick up Kadri. Cooley could have played that better as well but he was probably thinking rebound. If you watch closely, when Cooley noticed Kesselring was turned around he picked up speed to try and cover Kadri. It all starts with Stecher getting beat.
Kesselring knew there was it was a 2-on-2 when he began transitioning to defense...of course he knew someone was on the back door and it's his responsibility to move back to defend or block the pass...he was in no man's land, doing nothing to block pass and not moving back to guard Kadri.

He was there in time to do one or the other and did neither

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Kesselring knew there was it was a 2-on-2 when he began transitioning to defense...of course he knew someone was on the back door and it's his responsibility to move back to defend or block the pass...he was in no man's land, doing nothing to block pass and not moving back to guard Kadri.

Precisely. He contributed zero value to that play.

(secretly wishes someone else would step up so he wouldn't have to go to the all-star game every year :laugh: )
Ingram says hi.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Cooley was even with Kadri between the blue line and center line, Kesslering glanced back and saw that Cooley had him. Cooley wasn't coming back as hard as he could, Kadri was his guy, its on Cooley, go watch the replay. I'm not picking on Cooley, he should have had Kadri covered, lifted his stick, inside position.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. He was turned around.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cooley was even with Kadri between the blue line and center line, Kesslering glanced back and saw that Cooley had him. Cooley wasn't coming back as hard as he could, Kadri was his guy, its on Cooley, go watch the replay. I'm not picking on Cooley, he should have had Kadri covered, lifted his stick, inside position.
Kadri was Kesselring's responsibility, and yes, Cooley could have been coming back harder and he had the inside position, but I believe he was thinking rebound. There were a comedy of mistakes on that play, and it started with Stecher getting beat on the outside. Then we were scrambling.

Last edited:

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Kesselring isn't a good defender...the plus is that he has offense, he's probably our worst defender and that is saying something considering we have Dumba & Dermott on the squad.
he is also a 23yo rookie plus he came up in EDM system he is learning new system.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
he is also a 23yo rookie plus he came up in EDM system he is learning new system.
He's 24...but he's never been a good defender...that's the problem.

Yesterday he only played 11mins, Moser who is our best defender played 26, the most of anyone.

Everyone knows we need upgrades on defense, so BA will address and it will either be a "stop gap" type of guy like Ferraro who will make the team better but will eventually be replaced by Simashev, Szuber, Duda, Langlois, etc...or it will be a 'core' piece like a UFA signed Hanifin.

For me, rather than trading assets for Ferraro, I'd just rather sign Matt Roy, Pesce, DeMelo who are all RHD which will help out moving forward giving that the only RHD prospects are Soderstrom (still sketchy on weather he's an NHL defender) and Maveric Lamoureux, who won't be ready for 2yrs

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's 24...but he's never been a good defender...that's the problem.

Yesterday he only played 11mins, Moser who is our best defender played 26, the most of anyone.

Everyone knows we need upgrades on defense, so BA will address and it will either be a "stop gap" type of guy like Ferraro who will make the team better but will eventually be replaced by Simashev, Szuber, Duda, Langlois, etc...or it will be a 'core' piece like a UFA signed Hanifin.

For me, rather than trading assets for Ferraro, I'd just rather sign Matt Roy, Pesce, DeMelo who are all RHD which will help out moving forward giving that the only RHD prospects are Soderstrom (still sketchy on weather he's an NHL defender) and Maveric Lamoureux, who won't be ready for 2yrs
We have Moser, Durzi, and then everyone else thrown into a blender. Choose your poison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad