GDT: Game #42: Coyotes @ Flames - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
There was a lot to love about that game. Great effort, just didn't work out.

He gets a lot of love on this board but I don't think Kesselring is consistent enough to stay at this level. This was one of his down games and he got chumped a lot.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Silver lining here was the future.

Cools, Spicy and Durzi all looked very good tonight.

Crouse looked dangerous.

Maccelli seemed to get bottled up but found a way to make a play or two.

I actually thought Kesselring looked good tonight. He was doing his best Seabrook impression for most of the night (God I love his game so much when he's on).

Learning experience. Like Durzi said - focus up on the details and get back after it in Van.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Grimes

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I actually thought Kesselring looked good tonight. He was doing his best Seabrook impression for most of the night (God I love his game so much when he's on).
A few highlights:
Got beat, checked fwd into Ingram then took a silly penalty.
Tried to apply a check to someone, bounced off & fell down.
Didn't pick up Kadri on 2nd goal.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Too many men calls where you’re not affecting the play are BS.
As a beer league guy who never played for real, it drives me nuts when they don't hustle and do everything they can to get off, esp when they're offside. It's like "hey it's not my fault, Jonesy didn't open the bench door fast enough".

Meanwhile I do a forward roll over the boards onto the bench floor to avoid a call. Sucker.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
A few highlights:
Got beat, checked fwd into Ingram then took a silly penalty.
Tried to apply a check to someone, bounced off & fell down.
Didn't pick up Kadri on 2nd goal.
That was Cooleys guy on the second goal. Dumba with a turnover on the first goal. Close game though, glad we got the point.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Man Cooley missing on 2 breakaways and the causing the penalty

Having said that i though he played a great game

Lots of shot attempts
He's really coming along. Very much reminds me of Jack Hughes first season. It's all encouraging. Not like watching Strome where he didn't look like he belonged. Much more of, he belongs and has a lot of room to get better.

His 200 foot game is coming along nicely.
Which may be the most important thing for him. I don't think anyone doubts he can figure it out offensively.

Kesselring isn't a good defender...the plus is that he has offense, he's probably our worst defender and that is saying something considering we have Dumba & Dermott on the squad.
He's a big offensive 3rd pair guy who is trying to get tougher. Him trying to figure out how to be big and mean has cost him a few bad plays. The big offensive plays make up for it. Rasmus Andersson felt like the opposite when he came into the league. Real big and mean and somehow figured out the offensive side. I'm excited to see what we got in him, and the nice thing is on the 3rd pair he can be sheltered. I'm not convinced he is a long term piece yet, but I feel like him and Valimaki could be a great 3rd pair next season when both are healthy and we hopefully have more depth.

That was one of Durzi's best all around games I've seen this season. I'm really impressed with him. I don't want to get too excited but there are shade of Josi in there or John Carlson. Both players took a bit of time to put it all together. That big center ice hit just shows that this kid has more to his game than we saw in LA and what we saw in the first 20 games. If he continues to grow he could be a huge asset. Up until maybe the last two weeks I thought he would top out as a #3 but now I'm not sure.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
As a beer league guy who never played for real, it drives me nuts when they don't hustle and do everything they can to get off, esp when they're offside. It's like "hey it's not my fault, Jonesy didn't open the bench door fast enough".

Meanwhile I do a forward roll over the boards onto the bench floor to avoid a call. Sucker.

Long change and our guy coming off coasted to the far end door of the bench instead of getting off quicker.

If the guy coming on at the near end doesn't touch/play the puck there's no call.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
That was Cooleys guy on the second goal. Dumba with a turnover on the first goal. Close game though, glad we got the point.
Cooley was skating with him and got beat sure but Kesselring is back. He needs to pick up that fwd or otherwise, what's his job?

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
First 30 mins were ugly and boring. Last 30 mins were sloppy and fun. Zucker sucks. So does Dermott. What’s the point of Brown playing 4mins instead of Carcone actually getting playing hockey?

Valimaki > Brown+Dermott
Carcone > LOB

Cooley looks great. Also happy with Guenther.

Wait are Carcone and Valimaki healthy scratches?!

Guenther shouldn't go back at this point. He also should just be stapled to Cooley for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Kesselring has to "stop" that seem pass...he was there and decided not to take it away...that was 100% Kesselring. Cooley was hustling to get back to pick up, but he was already behind Kadri.

He has to kneel down, drop down, do something to prevent that pass.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kesselring has to "stop" that seem pass...he was there and decided not to take it away...that was 100% Kesselring. Cooley was hustling to get back to pick up, but he was already behind Kadri.

He has to kneel down, drop down, do something to prevent that pass.
yep. and that extra effort and quicker instincts can develop. Seems like a guy who is checking off a lot of boxes to succeed in the league but still has a couple more

Raw skills that are developing well - check
Great skating (especially for his size) - check
Size - check
Offensive production and vision- check
Opportunity - check
Confidence - Growing
Using his body and size - work in progress
Defensive awareness - work in progress
Extra effort - work in progress

Mind you if he can't improve his defensive awareness and that extra effort he may not make it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
yep. and that extra effort and quicker instincts can develop. Seems like a guy who is checking off a lot of boxes to succeed in the league but still has a couple more

Raw skills that are developing well - check
Great skating (especially for his size) - check
Size - check
Offensive production and vision- check
Opportunity - check
Confidence - Growing
Using his body and size - work in progress
Defensive awareness - work in progress
Extra effort - work in progress

Mind you if he can't improve his defensive awareness and that extra effort he may not make it.
agreed, and he's got no one pushing him right now. I'm sure they're going to put Lamoureux in Tucson for a year to get stronger and see how he does, so we only have Durzi & Kesselring on the right-side. That is where we are weakest and hopefully Lamoureux will just take a short time to develop, but he's probably 2yrs in Tucson, so he's 3yrs away, he'll arrive a year after Simashev.

I'm hoping for quicker, but the extremely tall guys just take longer and he doesn't exactly skate like Simashev and already playing well against men. If he can then in 2yrs the backend is going to look like:

Simashev/Lamoureux
Moser/Durzi
Szuber/Soderstrom
Kesselring

really hoping we can get a look at Soderstrom against NHL competition to see if he's improved. He's playing well in Tucson, so wondering if he'll get a call up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad