GDT: Game 42 - CBJ vs SJS - 4 Jan, 1pm, @Nat

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Careful OC, you will be criticized for not seeing the SC potential in this team. I mean look at what happened as a result of the 16 game winning streak a few years ago. :sarcasm:
Oh come now. Barring a miracle run this isn’t a Cup contending team and I think that everyone here knows that. We may not even be a playoff team. But to play down what they managed to do on the previous 12 games is equally disingenuous. Credit where credit is due.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Oh come now. Barring a miracle run this isn’t a Cup contending team and I think that everyone here knows that. We may not even be a playoff team. But to play down what they managed to do on the previous 12 games is equally disingenuous. Credit where credit is due.
I think this streak leveled the playing field and shows what we thought coming into the year, a mediocre team that is a borderline playoff team. They weren't as bad as they played early season and they probably aren't as good as they've played over the last month.

I think we knew defense was going to be the strong point of the team and that they were going to have trouble scoring goals without Panarin. I think we've learned that goaltending isn't as big of a concern now than it was coming into the season. Korpisalo has shown that he is capable of playing well for his roughly 6 week span and Elvis is showing signs he is capable of the same. I also never believed all the Jarmo hype on unproven rookies because Texier and Bemstrom have shown rookie struggles that should have been expected. Outside of the injuries that only things that have happened that were a surprise is the fact the Cam and Josh can't hit the broadside of Nationwide Arena with their shots. Cam started to come out of it before his ankle injury so hopefully he stays out of the funk when he gets back.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I think this streak leveled the playing field and shows what we thought coming into the year, a mediocre team that is a borderline playoff team. They weren't as bad as they played early season and they probably aren't as good as they've played over the last month.

I think we knew defense was going to be the strong point of the team and that they were going to have trouble scoring goals without Panarin. I think we've learned that goaltending isn't as big of a concern now than it was coming into the season. Korpisalo has shown that he is capable of playing well for his roughly 6 week span and Elvis is showing signs he is capable of the same. I also never believed all the Jarmo hype on unproven rookies because Texier and Bemstrom have shown rookie struggles that should have been expected. Outside of the injuries that only things that have happened that were a surprise is the fact the Cam and Josh can't hit the broadside of Nationwide Arena with their shots. Cam started to come out of it before his ankle injury so hopefully he stays out of the funk when he gets back.
I can agree with all of this.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I can agree with all of this except - it is has indeed been a surprise how well the team has played during most of the past 13 games. Nathan Gerbe has also been a surprise of Gagner proportions,

Reactions: leleleopold

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I can agree with all of this except - it is has indeed been a surprise how well the team has played during most of the past 13 games. Nathan Gerbe has also been a surprise of Gagner proportions,
I don't know that I'm that surprised by Gerbe. The guy has 400 games of NHL experience and has spent his whole life being the underdog. If anything the organization may have dismissed him because they seem to have signed him to be a leader in Cleveland more than anything and he's not young talent that may or may not have been pushed into the NHL too soon.

Reactions: thebus88 and KCbus

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know that I'm that surprised by Gerbe. The guy has 400 games of NHL experience and has spent his whole life being the underdog. If anything the organization may have dismissed him because they seem to have signed him to be a leader in Cleveland more than anything and he's not young talent that may or may not have been pushed into the NHL too soon.
That's a reasonable position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad