GDT: Game 42 4pm @ Montreal start of 2nd half

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Once we accumulate a pick surplus by moving assets like Ferraro we can trade some of those picks for whichever young players become available. I've used Dante Fabbro as an example a lot because of the Quinn/BU connection but Nashville will probably trade him this offseason. Rangers will have a tough time keeping K'Andre Miller next summer when Shesterkin and Lafreniere are also up for new contracts.
Teams like the rangers always find ways to keep the guys they wanna keep under contract. There’s always a team like Arizona or us around to take the cooked Kreiders and Goodrows for a song.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Teams like the rangers always find ways to keep the guys they wanna keep under contract. There’s always a team like Arizona or us around to take the cooked Kreiders and Goodrows for a song.
Miller was just an example. Bowen Byram is also going to be RFA in 2025 with the Avs in a serious cap crunch. There are also always guys nobody knows is available who get dealt like Filip Hronek and Sean Durzi last year. Point being we need more pick ammo not necessarily to develop prospects but as currency for trades.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Guys a turnover machine… he makes some good plays every now and then… but if you can get a 2nd for him you do it and don’t think twice.

The odds of a 2nd round pick playing 200+ games in the NHL is about 12%.

Ferraro is one of the hardest working players in the NHL and would be a fantastic role model for young players joining the team over the next few years.

Why would you give Ferraro up for a 1/10 chance of hitting on a player exactly like Ferraro?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Ferraro is one of the hardest working players in the NHL and would be a fantastic role model for young players joining the team over the next few years.

Why would you give Ferraro up for a 1/10 chance of hitting on a player exactly like Ferraro?
Fans hate him here because apparently he tries too hard.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Miller was just an example. Bowen Byram is also going to be RFA in 2025 with the Avs in a serious cap crunch. There are also always guys nobody knows is available who get dealt like Filip Hronek and Sean Durzi last year. Point being we need more pick ammo not necessarily to develop prospects but as currency for trades.
And right now we're sitting on the potential of having 3 first round picks this season and a possibility of adding a couple more 2nds without having to trade Ferraro.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

I suppose because Ferraro actually isn't very good and isn't going to get better, and is going to get worse sooner or later, and may also be in a position to either leave or demand more money (if he doesnt get worse sooner).

The basic idea is to get a 2nd for Ferraro now, that we hope turns into Ferraro in four years, with the slight possibility that we get something even better, rather than get nothing or at best a lottery ticket 5th when Ferraro either leaves or gets seriously hurt and turns into a pumpkin (or more of a pumpkin than he already is).

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

I'm sure those young players are going to love frequently getting stuck in their own zone because of Ferraro.

Who cares if he is a hardworker when the results are bad? The second is a lottery ticket, and a lot of second round picks end up as fantastic prospects/players.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm sure those young players are going to love frequently getting stuck in their own zone because of Ferraro.

Who cares if he is a hardworker when the results are bad? The second is a lottery ticket, and a lot of second round picks end up as fantastic prospects/players.
If down the road the team is still relying on Ferraro to be a top pairing guy then that's the fault of the front office, not Mario.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
If down the road the team is still relying on Ferraro to be a top pairing guy then that's the fault of the front office, not Mario.
For any position I hope they start replacing negative impact guys with guys who are actually helping them win games. They shouldn't keep around bad players just because they work hard.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
For any position I hope they start replacing negative impact guys with guys who are actually helping them win games. They shouldn't keep around bad players just because they work hard.
I'm so confused, so many here seem convinced he's the worst player in the league yet also seem to think there will be multiple teams, COMPETITIVE teams with well constructed roster vying for his services and willing to give up a 2nd AND some at the same time?

You can't have it both ways.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm so confused, so many here seem convinced he's the worst player in the league yet also seem to think there will be multiple teams, COMPETITIVE teams with well constructed roster vying for his services and willing to give up a 2nd AND some at the same time?

Nobody thinks that.

What most people appear to think is that Ferraro is a bottom-pair defenseman who needs someone to carry him, who may be overvalued for his actual contributions because he's youngish, "gritty," and a "leader."

SuperStarFerraro

Jun 21, 2018

Think about it, he’s still got Value, he’s a shot blocker, he is a penalty killer, he isn’t going to put up points… but those players have Value. Especially desperate teams at the trade deadline. What would you value him at? A 2nd isn’t asking for the world it’s what he brings tot he table and is still young enough.

That 2nd rounder can amount to someone better than Ferraro, not competing anytime soon it doesn’t really matter if he stays or goes. But if you can get a 2nd for him? You wouldn’t do it?

SuperStarFerraro

Jun 21, 2018

Nobody thinks that.

What most people appear to think is that Ferraro is a bottom-pair defenseman who needs someone to carry him, who may be overvalued for his actual contributions because he's youngish, "gritty," and a "leader."
He’s lead the league in blocked shots, you’re saying that doesn’t separate him from other people? He reminds me of Kris Russell… he had Value… didn’t put up points… but he was a penalty killer and a shot blocker… that’s exactly what Ferraro is… so yeah if a teams looking for that you go after Ferraro, if your looking for Bobby Orr then you look elsewhere.

Earlier reports came out that teams are interested in him, your not getting him less then 3rd rounder I’ll tell you that, you start a bidding war until someone pony’s up a 2nd or you keep him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Nobody thinks that.

The person I responded to literally claimed he was a bad player who has a negative impact. Mario is literally being asked to do more than he should be and do things that aren't part of his game because the other 7 defensemen we play are completely incompetent, yet he's the one that gets the brunt of the criticism for it.

I can understand why free agents don't want to sign with this franchise.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

A competitive and well constructed roster traded two seconds for Roman Polak and Nick Spaling.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
it was also a front office that did stupid things at the deadline regularly
Of course, there were definitely no geniuses running the show back then. Was just saying that playoff teams being willing to trade a 2nd round pick for Ferraro and Ferraro being a bad player isn't "having it both ways".

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Frankly, I wouldn't trust any player that opts to come to this train wreck of an organization because we gave him more money than anyone else to be a leader.

If anything it's going to be the same song and dance year in and year out for the next three years: bringing in discarded vets no one else wants in the hopes of a resurrection of sorts. Who could possibly thrive in that atmosphere??

Now, if they somehow luck Into Celebrini then you at least have a selling point to marquee FAs aside from cash.
I don't think the team needs to trust a free agent to be a leader. It'll either happen on its own or it will materialize elsewhere. I just want them to have someone they can depend on to move the puck to their forwards and eat the tough minutes while players develop. This is especially true if they land Celebrini. If they do get him, they're probably moving Couture or Hertl to his wing and go with a top six of Couture-Celebrini-Zetterlund and Eklund-Hertl-Granlund. The 3rd line is completely up in the air depending on who is slotting into that center spot between Smith and Bystedt (my guess is Smith). If it is one of those two, they're going to want veterans on his wing. They could go discarded vet route there but with 37 mil in cap space before buying out Vlasic and/or trading Ferraro, I think there's plenty of flexibility to go after some improvements there and on the blue line. I think the only solution on the blue line is to swing big either through free agency or trade. We're still going to have Vlasic, Ferraro, Rutta, Burroughs, Thrun, Addison, Benning, Okhotiuk, Emberson, and Knyzhov under contract next season with Muk probably needing a spot made for him. If it's not swing big, why bother when we're still filtering through that?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't think the team needs to trust a free agent to be a leader. It'll either happen on its own or it will materialize elsewhere. I just want them to have someone they can depend on to move the puck to their forwards and eat the tough minutes while players develop. This is especially true if they land Celebrini. If they do get him, they're probably moving Couture or Hertl to his wing and go with a top six of Couture-Celebrini-Zetterlund and Eklund-Hertl-Granlund. The 3rd line is completely up in the air depending on who is slotting into that center spot between Smith and Bystedt (my guess is Smith). If it is one of those two, they're going to want veterans on his wing. They could go discarded vet route there but with 37 mil in cap space before buying out Vlasic and/or trading Ferraro, I think there's plenty of flexibility to go after some improvements there and on the blue line. I think the only solution on the blue line is to swing big either through free agency or trade. We're still going to have Vlasic, Ferraro, Rutta, Burroughs, Thrun, Addison, Benning, Okhotiuk, Emberson, and Knyzhov under contract next season with Muk probably needing a spot made for him. If it's not swing big, why bother when we're still filtering through that?
That's fine for the forwards but as we've seen this year (and last when EK wasn't on the ice), having a completely incompetent D-corp completely neutralizes any positivity from the forwards and trading our current best D-man (despite what many here seem to think) certainly isn't going to help. Perhaps there should be more focus on fixing the blue line instead of chucking out a plethora of bottom 7 pairing guys who play musical chairs being healthy scratched. Perhaps fix a blue line by bringing in the guys who can do what Mario is unfairly being forced to BECAUSE we keep throwing out either old retreads like Ruuta or clearly overwhelmed kids like Thrun. What are we gonna do next year, suddenly expect Mukh to not only solidly a spot in the top 4 but immediately excel? What happens if that doesn't happen?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A competitive and well constructed roster traded two seconds for Roman Polak and Nick Spaling.
1) Different time. People valued draft picks differently
2) As people have mentioned, the Sharks's front office was more delusionally determined
3) Insert third thing here

2024 is, by all accounts, a weak draft so maybe the Sharks can pry some high draft picks for Ferraro. But, with people valuing youth and cheap depth more than ever, I'm not so sure.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
That's fine for the forwards but as we've seen this year (and last when EK wasn't on the ice), having a completely incompetent D-corp completely neutralizes any positivity from the forwards and trading our current best D-man (despite what many here seem to think) certainly isn't going to help. Perhaps there should be more focus on fixing the blue line instead of chucking out a plethora of bottom 7 pairing guys who play musical chairs being healthy scratched. Perhaps fix a blue line by bringing in the guys who can do what Mario is unfairly being forced to BECAUSE we keep throwing out either old retreads like Ruuta or clearly overwhelmed kids like Thrun. What are we gonna do next year, suddenly expect Mukh to not only solidly a spot in the top 4 but immediately excel? What happens if that doesn't happen?
You make good points.

Stats confirm though that Ferraro isn't our best D man... Emberson is currently playing best, followed by (!!!) Addison. Ferraro's advanced stats are rough, although he's looked a bit better the last few games.

Also, to answer your last question directly, I think what happens is that we suck again. Which is, I believe, still Grier's plan next year... To ice a bottom 3 team and pick high again.

The comp I know best is the Avs. They drafted their incredible forwards first, and all the way until they finally drafted Makar, their D corps was a huge problem. They had a lot of losing seasons with a lot of very high potential kids that everyone was worried weren't getting the mentorship or culture they needed.

They drafted Makar and to a lesser extent Girard and Byram, and EJ became the solid unspectacular veteran presence, and boom, really once they had Makar they were immediate contenders and will remain so until Mac and Mak retire or leave.

We just gotta go through the suck, even if it means we trade Ferraro. But I agree that it's also good if we don't get the assets we want offered to us and we keep him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The comp I know best is the Avs. They drafted their incredible forwards first, and all the way until they finally drafted Makar, their D corps was a huge problem. They had a lot of losing seasons with a lot of very high potential kids that everyone was worried weren't getting the mentorship or culture they needed.
What they had on the blue line when they drafted Makar was miles better, MILES better than what we're icing. Tyson Barrie, Zadorov, Eric Johnson were all still in their mid 20s (Zadorov was actually like 22) and even Beauchemin was serviceable at the time. You know when they finally traded their guys? When they needed immediate help. They didn't just dump them for more picks down the road.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
What they had on the blue line when they drafted Makar was miles better, MILES better than what we're icing. Tyson Barrie, Zadorov, Eric Johnson were all still in their mid 20s (Zadorov was actually like 22) and even Beauchemin was serviceable at the time. You know when they finally traded their guys? When they needed immediate help. They didn't just dump them for more picks down the road.
Every team is miles better then what could be the worst blue line in the history of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad