GDT: Game 41: Sharks @ Maple Leafs 4:00pm NBCSCA

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I don't know why they insist on having Hoffman get this sort of opportunity. 1 assist in the past 11 games and you're still trying to shoehorn him at the top of the lineup. He should be sitting in the press box.
Seems doubtful that anyone would even send a 4th for him at this point. Might as well sit his lazy can't pass ass

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Seems doubtful that anyone would even send a 4th for him at this point. Might as well sit his lazy can't pass ass
Yeah, he's not returning anything at the trade deadline. We're stuck with him so just eat the cap hit and sit him. Barabanov has better odds of getting something back and I'd rather see Gushchin get called up to play on a depth scoring line.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Yeah, he's not returning anything at the trade deadline. We're stuck with him so just eat the cap hit and sit him. Barabanov has better odds of getting something back and I'd rather see Gushchin get called up to play on a depth scoring line.
Id rather run Bordeleau and Gushchin over random 4th liners and vets who've checked out. But here we are running the same guys with no value instead of trying to see what the kids can do. Gotta think Bords is nearing the end of will he be a contributor window. Wish they'd give him a 40 game run to see what he's got.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Id rather run Bordeleau and Gushchin over random 4th liners and vets who've checked out. But here we are running the same guys with no value instead of trying to see what the kids can do. Gotta think Bords is nearing the end of will he be a contributor window. Wish they'd give him a 40 game run to see what he's got.
I think the sad reason why is that Bords and Gushchin just aren't ready for their opportunity.

6-2 Leafs (just to be different than Stewie)

Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm okay with random 4th liners and vets if they're actually doing something to contribute. I just don't see anything being produced with Zadina and Labanc on the 4th line. I'd scratch them for Gushchin and Bordeleau at the least and move them up the lineup. Gushchin should be in Hoffman's spot. You can put Bordeleau in Bailey's spot and move Bailey down to the 4th line. I'd scratch Hoffman for Sabourin since he's up and have him on the 4th line. I'd even call up Peterson for a spot like that since he actually has some capability to fill that role effectively and also move up in the lineup and still contribute somewhat. Hoffman, Labanc, and Zadina have no such flexibility. The other guy I'd like to see get a shot soon is Cardwell. I'm not sure what is the ideal spot to try and slot him into but he's been producing well enough to warrant an opportunity on this team. That may come after the deadline. We'll see.

Gushchin for me is the one to start giving him games at the NHL level and see if his production sticks. Being near point-per-game at the AHL level this late into the season is a big deal to me.

Reactions: Friday

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm okay with random 4th liners and vets if they're actually doing something to contribute. I just don't see anything being produced with Zadina and Labanc on the 4th line. I'd scratch them for Gushchin and Bordeleau at the least and move them up the lineup. Gushchin should be in Hoffman's spot. You can put Bordeleau in Bailey's spot and move Bailey down to the 4th line. I'd scratch Hoffman for Sabourin since he's up and have him on the 4th line. I'd even call up Peterson for a spot like that since he actually has some capability to fill that role effectively and also move up in the lineup and still contribute somewhat. Hoffman, Labanc, and Zadina have no such flexibility. The other guy I'd like to see get a shot soon is Cardwell. I'm not sure what is the ideal spot to try and slot him into but he's been producing well enough to warrant an opportunity on this team. That may come after the deadline. We'll see.

Gushchin for me is the one to start giving him games at the NHL level and see if his production sticks. Being near point-per-game at the AHL level this late into the season is a big deal to me.
Why should Gushchin be in Hoffman's spot? What has Bordeleau done to justify playing ahead of Bailey? You can't just hand these kids NHL jobs when their AHL performance doesn't warrant it and their previous NHL stints have been failures. Just like last season we will eventually be forced to give the likes of Gushchin, Bordeleau and Robins minutes due to trade deadline attrition but there's no good reason to promote them right now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why should Gushchin be in Hoffman's spot? What has Bordeleau done to justify playing ahead of Bailey? You can't just hand these kids NHL jobs when their AHL performance doesn't warrant it and their previous NHL stints have been failures. Just like last season we will eventually be forced to give the likes of Gushchin, Bordeleau and Robins minutes due to trade deadline attrition but there's no good reason to promote them right now.
Because Gushchin actually has a chance to improve with more experience at this level. Hoffman is done as a useful player because he doesn't do anything when he isn't producing and he isn't producing. What did Bailey do to justify a call that Bordeleau hasn't? Their scoring paces are similar at the AHL level and both have had numerous failures in previous NHL stints. What's the actual difference there? In Bordeleau's case, his odds of improving are significantly higher than Bailey and Bailey has 1 goal in his past 11 games. There's plenty of good reason to promote them now. Experience at their age is still valuable whether they're ready or not or whether they fail or not. Players like Bailey or Sabourin aren't going to be an answer for this team in any meaningful way in the future. Gushchin can be. Bordeleau can be even if I don't particularly care for what I've seen from him in his previous stints.

The Sharks in their current situation should be looking for any excuse to get their younger players experience at the NHL level and opportunities to stick. They shouldn't be making excuses for not doing so and calling up people like Sabourin is a waste of such an opportunity.

Reactions: landshark and Cas

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because Gushchin actually has a chance to improve with more experience at this level. Hoffman is done as a useful player because he doesn't do anything when he isn't producing and he isn't producing. What did Bailey do to justify a call that Bordeleau hasn't? Their scoring paces are similar at the AHL level and both have had numerous failures in previous NHL stints. What's the actual difference there? In Bordeleau's case, his odds of improving are significantly higher than Bailey and Bailey has 1 goal in his past 11 games. There's plenty of good reason to promote them now. Experience at their age is still valuable whether they're ready or not or whether they fail or not. Players like Bailey or Sabourin aren't going to be an answer for this team in any meaningful way in the future. Gushchin can be. Bordeleau can be even if I don't particularly care for what I've seen from him in his previous stints.

The Sharks in their current situation should be looking for any excuse to get their younger players experience at the NHL level and opportunities to stick. They shouldn't be making excuses for not doing so and calling up people like Sabourin is a waste of such an opportunity.
Bailey has like six inches and 45 pounds on both of those guys and he uses it to be disruptive on the forecheck, extend plays, win puck battles, etc. Things Bordeleau and Gushchin simply do not do. Even a washed Mike Hoffman is more useful without the puck than Bordeleau or Gushchin. This is the fundamental reason why Bailey, Hoffman, Kunin, Carpenter, etc. continue to get NHL minutes while the one dimensional offensive wingers can't stick. Even the more veteran players who fit this description like Zadina and Labanc have seen their usage crater. Quinn is consistent with what he wants.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bailey has like six inches and 45 pounds on both of those guys and he uses it to be disruptive on the forecheck, extend plays, win puck battles, etc. Things Bordeleau and Gushchin simply do not do. Even a washed Mike Hoffman is more useful without the puck than Bordeleau or Gushchin. This is the fundamental reason why Bailey, Hoffman, Kunin, Carpenter, etc. continue to get NHL minutes while the one dimensional offensive wingers can't stick. Even the more veteran players who fit this description like Zadina and Labanc have seen their usage crater. Quinn is consistent with what he wants.
Bailey is someone I'd like to keep on the 4th line because of those attributes he brings. The reality though is that above that, he's out of his element and simply not good enough to use his size effectively and consistently. Those details to the game are obviously important but it's still not as important as being able to put yourself in the right positions to create offense. You still need offensive-minded players to do that when your supposedly more balanced players aren't putting points on the board. The fundamental reason a one-dimensional winger isn't sticking here is because they're not afforded the opportunities, plain and simple. Gushchin and Bordeleau are not the only one-dimensional sort of wingers around the league. Plenty are sticking when given opportunities. Some develop more to their game as they go and some don't but they still stick and have roles on teams that succeed.

Guys like Bailey and Carpenter deserve their opportunities. I believe Gushchin, Bordeleau, Cardwell, and Peterson deserve opportunities as well. When we have proven failures in the process of failing that don't bring anything to the team still getting opportunities over them, it's counterproductive to the team's desire to succeed and rebuild. At least in Gushchin's case, I think his offensive talent is enough to translate to the NHL. That alone should make you of all people want to put him in that spot to at the very least improve his trade value because he can actually do that. Hoffman, Labanc, and Zadina cannot. I don't think Bailey can either even though I like a lot of his game. I don't think Carpenter can either. A good thing to have is a 21-22 year old kid with NHL experience that maybe can return you a similar draft pick to where they were selected. Then at least you could draft your guy with another pick acquired.

I don't put a lot of stock in guys with size being able to do certain detailed gameplay if they can't score in those scoring roles. Details only matter if you're in the right position to begin with. None of the pro guys are really in the right position to begin with and their production suffers because of it.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
I'd like to see Guschin and Bords up and be told that they are going to be up for the rest of the year, show us what you got. Would rather see them play freely and without constantly thinking about when they are going to get sent down. What's the worst that can happen? They are abject disasters, prove they don't belong in the NHL and cost the team a bunch of games? Oh no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad