GDT: Game 41: Panthers @ Sabres - 1/3 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Barkov seems to get up for playing Eichel, so hopefully he won't destroy us this evening.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Remember when the team played so much better last season after Jack got hurt? That lasted about three games, but I remember!

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Panthers Aim to Close Atlantic Division Gap Against Buffalo

DwAVBVHXgAAW9dG.jpg

PROJECTED LINEUP

Forwards
Jonathan Huberdeau - Aleksander Barkov - Evgenii Dadonov
Frank Vatrano - Henrik Borgstrom - Mike Hoffman
Troy Brouwer - Jared McCann - Denis Malgin
Jayce Hawryluk - Juho Lammikko - Colton Sceviour

Defense
Keith Yandle - Aaron Ekblad
Mike Matheson - Mark Pysyk
Bogdan Kiselevich - MacKenzie Weegar

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
James Reimer

Scratches: Chris Wideman, Micheal Haley, Nick Bjugstad(upper body)

Injured Reserve: Derek MacKenzie (shoulder), Jamie McGinn (back), Vincent Trocheck (ankle)

Morning Skate Report

cut.jpg

Eichel has been ruled out for tonight; Pilut will be in.

Projected Lineup

53 Jeff Skinner - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 23 Sam Reinhart
43 Conor Sheary - 17 Vladimir Sobotka - 72 Tage Thompson
81 Remi Elie - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 29 Jason Pominville
49 C.J. Smith - 22 Johan Larsson - 21 Kyle Okposo

19 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
24 Lawrence Pilut - 4 Zach Bogosian
6 Marco Scandella - 26 Rasmus Dahlin

35 Linus Ullmark
40 Carter Hutton

Last edited:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Shake shit up Phil/Jason

Skinner Reinhart Oloffson
Smith Mitts Okposo
Sheary ERod Thompson
Sobotka Larsson O'Reagan

McCabe Dahlin
Pilut Risto
Scandella Bogo

Poms*

Oloffson up for Hunwick (waive)
O'Reagan up for Elie (waive)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We're back to Nolan-era (I'm a "tank denier") forward quality.
~6 legit NHL-quality forwards in the lineup tonight, depending how you want to label the lower-tier(s).
Wouldn't that indicate that the GM did a horrible job constructing the roster and failed about as badly as he possibly could this offseason?

Reactions: Chainshot

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I mean, really, he doesn't have a whole lot of options to be fair.

Reinhart back to center, mitts gets a chance with legit players on a line...just to name the most obvious.

Erod handles passes like a grenade. I never quite got the love for him but the effort was there and he has the "tools" but he has been disastrous this year. I hope I jinx myself and he proves me wrong tonight but still....come onnn

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Wouldn't that indicate that the GM did a horrible job constructing the roster and failed about as badly as he possibly could this offseason?

I think it's fair that a 23-man roster would carry 13-14 forwards, of which 11-12 should be legit NHL caliber. Or at least that's the minimum standard of how a roster should be constructed.

So with Girgs and Eichel out, that's 2 you would get back. There should remain 9-10 NHL caliber. The Sabres fall 3-4 short.

Berglund quit. He was being counted on as a regular, regardless of the actual quality of his play. Could his departure have been predicted? His play predicted? Regardless, there has not been a legit NHL-caliber replacement yet.

Sobotka was clearly expected to play an NHL-caliber role. And he clearly hasn't, despite the apparent attempts to increase his minutes in the hope it might transform him to an NHL-caliber player.

Thompson was intended to stay up, regardless of whether he was or wasn't able to play an NHL-caliber role, so that absorbed a "tweener slot" by default. Same can be said for Mittelstadt.

(A clear NHL-caliber player was moved out for 3 of those 4 slots.)

Elie was a placeholder until Wilson returned. No issue there, like for like.

Okposo has declined. Could that have been predicted?

Could the combination of all the above been predicted?

If the goal was to have a great leap forward this year, then yes, he failed because of lack of contingency planning / assuming best-case outcomes. If the goal was to make the great leap forward next year, e.g., from injection of a cohort of Rochester Swedes with a full year together under their belts, then he didn't necessarily fail in 2018-19 roster construction. But one would then legitimately question whether this year's goal was proper, or not.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This sounds like a ror jab to me...

It's a Botts jab. For the positives he's done, he's had equal or greater dubious moves. The only thing he really has going for him is winning the lottery, at that had nothing to do with his skills and everything to do with chance.

The issue with not making in-season moves remains. It was the same last year and has not shown to be different so far this season.

Reactions: sabremike

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It's a Botts jab. For the positives he's done, he's had equal or greater dubious moves. The only thing he really has going for him is winning the lottery, at that had nothing to do with his skills and everything to do with chance.

The issue with not making in-season moves remains. It was the same last year and has not shown to be different so far this season.

This is disengenuous for the skinner deal. The sheary deal in theory shoudve been a no brainer. Granted sheary is slightly below what we hoped for (granted at the time we didnt have skinner and expected him riding eichel's coat tails). But yeah remi ellie, and Jordan nolan as the main in season adds leaves something to be desired. Looking at tonight's roster makes that apparent.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I know we don't have a lot of options (at all) but I would bet my car on the fact that Elie-Mittelstadt-Pominville accomplishes absolutely nothing tonight.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I will give him credit for Pilut and partial credit for Hutton (unless you allude to that as part of the positives).

One might legitimately ask if there are any scenarios (now or in future seasons, regardless of how well or poorly BUF is playing / contending) which would warrant in-season improvements by Botts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad