GDT: Game 41: Avs vs Blues | 8 PM MT | January 6, 2016

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
And he made a few others, too. It's Guenin. You can't expect much more of him and that's why I think he played okay.

Except he's in the NHL, not peewee house league. A certain standard of competence and ability should be expected from him. There are several players in this organization who are better than him who weren't playing last night, which is really annoying.

Anyways, despite Guenin, great by everyone except Tanguay. Friday is going to be huge

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
And he made a few others, too. It's Guenin. You can't expect much more of him and that's why I think he played okay.

He is terrible, so your logic sounds like we should expect him to be so bad and thus it is ok?
Get rid of him NOW, clearly a point black hole. Some kid of the streets, anybody, just please get him off the day to day roster

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl

I don't think you can classify anybody's play as OK if he made mistake that directly lead to opponents goal and made few others mistake. I would say he played OK only when his mistakes didn't affect the score.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Then we have the worst medical staff in the league. Also why is Roy allowing him to play hurt?

What? Players play inured all the time.

No doubt Landeskog has been less than stellar recently, but if people think he's going to take himself out of the lineup when the Avs have clawed their way back to fighting for a wild card, there is going to be a dissapointed crowd.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
There have been games when I would describe Guenin's game as OK, or even Good.

last night was not one of those games

The new dude BodyByChuck was noticeably unnoticeable. That was good. I think 1st games generally go better than average games but I'll keep my fingers crossed he can unseat Guenin and Redmond at least.

Glad to see the "Roy won't bring in an undersized defenseman" thing put to rest as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You know, a regulation loss would've helped us a lot more in our quest to get Hitch fired, thanks a lot guys.

Any news on Rantanen getting a call-up this year?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
He is terrible, so your logic sounds like we should expect him to be so bad and thus it is ok?
Get rid of him NOW, clearly a point black hole. Some kid of the streets, anybody, just please get him off the day to day roster
Exactly. Don't ask me why he's in the NHL because he clearly shouldn't be. That's not his fault, though, that's Roy's and Sakic's decision. He played okay (I don't say "very good") considering the things he can and can't do.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
You know, a regulation loss would've helped us a lot more in our quest to get Hitch fired, thanks a lot guys.

Roy mentioned yesterday I believe it was on his weekly radio show that Rantanen likely won't be brought back up, he wants to let him finish developing in the ahl.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Hoping he's back soon. I know he "struggled" in his first stint at the big club, but I don't know how much he's learning by dominating the AHL. It isn't like he's there while he adds size either.

He isn't a liability defensively in the NHL. He just needs to find his scoring touch at this level. There's only one way to do that. Experience playing against the best.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If he doesn't come back up, he slides still, right?

Pretty excited last night in this win. Have to give the team credit for coming back and winning. Separating Tangs from Iggy was good too, stopped the endless 'let me pass to Iggy even if I'm in a prime spot' problems. Grigs played well, I'd like to see Landeskog on his left instead of Martinsen though.

Roy or whomever is in charge of the defensive pairings needs to wise up.

Beauch-Barrie
Gormley-Holden
Whomever-Redmond

That's what we need, keep playing Barrie ~28-30 minutes a game while EJ is out and give that 3rd pairing about 8-10 minutes of ice time against 3rd and 4th lines.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not one to flog the bums all the time but Guenin was atrocious last night. He completely got caught with his pants down on the third goal and he blundered the puck and took a penalty on the second goal. We won, I'm not going to focus on it and it's not worth it, but this is not the game to say Guenin was ok and don't be so hard on him.

I haven't been watching Landy specifically to catch the injury but during the three stars interview he wasn't moving his right side much, he halfway lifted his stick up to the crowd.

Roy did say Rsntanen might get a call up here or there but won't be a regular.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If he doesn't come back up, he slides still, right?

Yep... Roy tends to say a lot of things, he might be too honest with his current thinking sometimes. IMO if the Avs are pushing for the playoffs, they will give Rantanen some time in Feb to see if they will need to make a trade to shore up the forward group.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I am going to have to find a way to watch this game once I get home from the beach. Looking at the boxscore, Tanguay was only player besides Barrie to be +2, yet everyone is saying he was terrible. Toss me some timestamps so I can nit-pick his mistakes like everyone else :)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm not one to flog the bums all the time but Guenin was atrocious last night. He completely got caught with his pants down on the third goal and he blundered the puck and took a penalty on the second goal. We won, I'm not going to focus on it and it's not worth it, but this is not the game to say Guenin was ok and don't be so hard on him.

I haven't been watching Landy specifically to catch the injury but during the three stars interview he wasn't moving his right side much, he halfway lifted his stick up to the crowd.

Roy did say Rsntanen might get a call up here or there but won't be a regular.

Guenin is just bad at everything. he deserves all the hate he gets. One guy who has crawled his way out of that flogging is Nick Holden. I thought he had a really good game again and im slowly warming up to this guy. I still dont want him to be a long term fixture in the top 4 but as a bottom pairing guy moving forward im all for it if he plays this way. I really dont know whats happened to his offense but his defense has been night and day better from last years. Now that i have complimented him he will be a -3 next game :laugh:

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
I have only seen about half of our games this year but every game I find myself wondering how Jack skille had such a hard time sticking with a team I've been impressed with him every game.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Avs have more ROWS than 13 teams from the east, and the 9th most in the NHL.

We just lack loser points.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I would bet any amount of money that Landeskog's injury is with his right shoulder or right arm. While he's flubbing passes and not shooting hard, and those are big giveaways to the injury, there's an even more telling sign. Watch him take a backhand shot or pass and watch the placement of his hands on his stick. He moves his left hand way up the shaft, far more than anybody usually would, to offer more support to the higher, grip hand(right). He almost backhand baseball swings at it to support his right arm. Turning the arm over like that and having weak muscle there could either indicate a forearm injury or shoulder. It's definitely the upper right side, though. Very obvious.

I have only seen about half of our games this year but every game I find myself wondering how Jack skille had such a hard time sticking with a team I've been impressed with him every game.

He's like a starved dog spotting a steak when there's a loose puck. Extremely strong first couple of strides, throws his shoulder/body in front of his opponent for positioning and leverage, and does not slow down when getting to the puck, giving him enough speed to turn either way and continue the play. Balls to the wall hockey and relentless puck support. Love his work ethic and game.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I was critical of the Avs after the game against the Flames. They step-up nicely in the last two games, it's going to be a showdown against NSH on Friday.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is just my opinion, but I think he lacks hockey sense with the puck. He's awesome in a 4th line role because he can carry the puck at full speed and unleash a shot, and just play a straight forward game, but he really doesn't distribute the puck in any way or look to pass. In a top 9 role, that becomes more glaring.

Plus, teams are just going more towards young guys in this league. A 28 year old who hasn't been healthy or really stuck around with a team long enough isn't going to be that sought after.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I have a hunch that he wore out quickly in the first half of last year and couldn't maintain this type of play so they let him go. I really like Skille a lot too though, I hope he can maintain it going forward.

My most memorable play last night of him was when McLeod communicated for Skille to switch wings with him and Skille intercepted the puck and got it out of the defensive zone so McLeod could get a new stick. That 4th line is perfect and shouldn't be broken up for any reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad