GDT: Game 41: Avs vs Blues | 8 PM MT | January 6, 2016

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Looking at defensive pairings is not advised.
fU9sFdM.jpg
SnPFeYJ.jpg

jNwCTP1.jpg
NYWmK2g.jpg

qju7Eew.jpg
RoFNf4K.jpg

1gP8cNt.jpg
2zIqg1Y.jpg

Line-ups unconfirmed

Actual D-pairings:

Last edited:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Well it sounds like Bodnarchuk is in over Gormley...for some reason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Waiver boy is getting paired up with Beauch tonight... board meltdown in 3... 2... 1....

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Waiver boy is getting paired up with Beauch tonight... board meltdown in 3... 2... 1....
I think it's justified this time. Roy doesn't want to play the young guys, but will put a waiver wire pickup with 21 NHL games under his belt with Beauchemin. Baffling move.

The Avs are dressing 2 defensemen tonight that have been on waivers this year. And we all know Guenin should have hit that waiver wire at some point too.

The guy hasn't even practiced with the Avs. None of this makes sense.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Gormley's been fine, but I don't see why Bodnarchuk playing over him is a big deal. Might as well see what they've got. The scouts apparently liked him, it wasn't even Roy because he hadn't seen him since junior eight years ago.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think Gormley's been fine, but I don't see why Bodnarchuk playing over him is a big deal. Might as well see what they've got. The scouts apparently liked him, it wasn't even Roy because he hadn't seen him since junior eight years ago.
Gormley was never on waivers.

The guy hasn't even practiced with the Avs. I don't see how this makes any sense whatsoever. He doesn't even have faith in the other guys on the team to play big minutes, yet he's just going to throw a waiver wire pickup on the ice with Beauchemin?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
To be fair, the last waiver pickup has done pretty well...even though he isn't playing in this game.

Still scary. Varly will have to be the better goalie tonight...and that wont be easy with the season Allen is having.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gormley was never on waivers.

The guy hasn't even practiced with the Avs. I don't see how this makes any sense whatsoever.

You're correct that's why I instantly removed that. I don't see how it's that big a deal. Gormley's a bottom pairing D man that's been in and out of the lineup. Does it have to make a ton of sense that he'd sit for a new guy they brought in?

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I think what makes less sense is a guy who has had no time to practice with the team and was just snagged on waivers is immediately jumping into a top defensive line pairing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think what makes less sense is a guy who has had no time to practice with the team and was just snagged on waivers is immediately jumping into a top defensive line pairing.

I have a feeling Holden and Barrie may take on that duty, but we'll have to wait and see.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think it's justified this time. Roy doesn't want to play the young guys, but will put a waiver wire pickup with 21 NHL games under his belt with Beauchemin. Baffling move.

The Avs are dressing 2 defensemen tonight that have been on waivers this year. And we all know Guenin should have hit that waiver wire at some point too.

The guy hasn't even practiced with the Avs. None of this makes sense.
In a game against a division rival. To say it in a positive way, Roy's decisions are often entertaining.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Thus begins the amazing story of Andrew Bodnarchuck going from waiver fodder to elite top pairing defenseman.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

For one game? lol

It was baffling that Redmond or Geunin got in over Gormley who has played well while both of the others sucked.

Now the waiver guy is starting over Gormley as well.

Was Roy completely full of **** when he praised Gormley just before yanking him out of the lineup? I guess that was nothing more than a attempt to publicly boost his confidence before stomping on it lol.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Barrie's going to play about 30 minutes tonight. Especially when Bodnarchuk lets Roy down so Barrie starts playing with both Beauchemin and Holden.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ may only miss five days according to Roy. They just picked up a guy off waivers and may end up putting him back on waivers in five days when EJ comes back.

Might as well see what they have in case he surprises them, and it makes way more sense to play him against the Blues who they won't catch in the standings, than the Preds on Friday who they're directly trying to catch.

Gormley has played fine for the most part and definitely better than Redmond, but Redmond's a RD and Bodnarchuk's a LD. It's not like Gormley has played amazing either, he's just tread water, and been in an out of the lineup. Guenin has actually played decently lately, and can play on the left side.

This really shouldn't be that surprising if you look at the situation.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Obviously we're not replacing EJ with anyone we have, but a waiver pickup who hasn't practiced with the team being thrown on that pairing is absurd.

Roy said yesterday he hadn't seen him play in 8 years. Wouldn't you want to see the guy in practice first?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Gormley sits and the waiver wire guy without a team practice under his belt replaces our #1 D on the top pairing.

Say that out loud twice. Sounds ridiculous.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Tonight Avs go full Guenin. You never want to go full Guenin.

I'm less worried about the new guy playing than I am about him getting an extension. Hopefully Roy and Sakic has learned to hold their horses and not get carried away by barely adequate play from AHL quality players.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
EJ may only miss five days according to Roy. They just picked up a guy off waivers and may end up putting him back on waivers in five days when EJ comes back.

Might as well see what they have in case he surprises them, and it makes way more sense to play him against the Blues who they won't catch in the standings, than the Preds on Friday who they're directly trying to catch.

Gormley has played fine for the most part and definitely better than Redmond, but Redmond's a RD and Bodnarchuk's a LD. It's not like Gormley has played amazing either, he's just tread water, and been in an out of the lineup. Guenin has actually played decently lately, and can play on the left side.

This really shouldn't be that surprising if you look at the situation.
I'm seriously baffled that anyone can defend the move and say it's not surprising. The guy probably showed up in town late last night, hasn't practiced with the team, has a coach who hasn't seen him play since Juniors, and he's on the top pairing today. We also have a healthy defenseman who has the second best possession numbers on the team just hanging around. None of that is normal and it is absolutely surprising.

And, oh yes, we're still dressing Nate Guenin. Guenin has not played decently at all. He's even been scratched more than Gormley after the Xmas break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad