GDT: Game 41: Avs vs Blues | 8 PM MT | January 6, 2016

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
D2M...the fact that they hired/promoted a guy with ZERO experience should also tell you that Sherman wasn't really pulling the strings. Not with EL in his role.

BTW how many teams did EL manage before coming to the avs?

To not have the distraction of "Pierre put his son in charge." Following the story years earlier of his son on the team.

We know that Eric at VERY least had a role in contract negotiations and is part of the reason for the ROR situation. It isn't a jump to think he was pulling the hockey related strings... even just looking at his title tells you something there.

Again this organization couldn't care less about headlines(nor should they) if they did they wouldn't have brought players like May on the team. They just do what they want.

Hell they could've spun it the other way 2 time cup winner grooms his son to take over.

To just expand, Eric was a HUGE part of the O'Reilly debacle, from the Avs' side.

ROR wanted $ no matter who was in charge if you weren't paying there was going to be problems.

Having had this argument before will just go in circles.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
BTW how many teams did EL manage before coming to the avs?

Again this organization couldn't care less about headlines(nor should they) if they did they wouldn't have brought players like May on the team. They just do what they want.

Hell they could've spun it the other way 2 time cup winner grooms his son to take over.

ROR wanted $ no matter who was in charge if you weren't paying there was going to be problems.

Having had this argument before will just go in circles.

EL was director of hockey ops here for 3-4 years under his dad, then managed and owned a CHL team, then was a scout with Arizona... all before coming he to be VP of Hockey Ops in 2009. He had WAY more hockey experience.

The Avs do (they have tried to shift the nepotism message for years around Colorado), but you can believe what you want in all of this.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Zero experience running an NHL team... it's not like they found Sherman on the street, he was working for the avs as an assistant to FG for years.

it goes both ways and in the end does it really matter?:laugh:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Steen is an outstanding player. No question he's one of the main straws that stir the drink on the Blues.

He seems to be a really nice humble down to earth guy, the total opposite of being rich famous and cocky. I believe most of his family still lives in Winnipeg but he has a huge heart for Sweden and of all great places he chooses to live (and invest a lot) in Sundsvall which I find a bit surprising.

Personally I don't want to live north of Stockholm and I prefer to live in one of the bigger cities. Sundsvall may be a little bit more like Winnipeg though, climate wise. ;-)

Zetterberg have a place in Sundsvall too though, I guess I will have to visit that city and get my own opinion, prejudice is dangerous.

Perhaps they could start helping the hockey team there, Timrå, which is a disaster.

I'm sure the fanbase of the Avs loves when I have meaningless discussions about Alex Steen in this thread. :D

Last edited:

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't been on in a few days, but this was the best win all season. I saw something I haven't seen from the Avs in a long time. They faced adversity and took it head on. They played with heart the whole game and look what eventually happened. I was so proud of the team this game. I want to see more of that this season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Say what you want about EL and Sherm, and EL had his faults in negotiations it seems like, but they made some good moves, and had a lot of guts to make them.

EJ and Varly wouldn't be here without them, and they really put their balls on the table for those moves. Wolski for Mueller was on it's way to being a win before Blake changed everything. Hannan for Flash was on it's way to being a win before genetics got in the way.

They listened to their scouts and took Landy over the more hyped Larrson, Huberdeau, and Couturier. Quincey for Downie looked great for a minute before Downs ran into injury trouble and then subsequently lost his mind. The McGinn trade was a great one as well.

They had their faults, and unfortunately for them the roster was still in the middle of a transition phase for the fans to (rightfully) have much patience, but they still showed some solid hockey smarts. The organization needed to move on though, and I think it's in good hands now.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
for a mere puppet, Sherman seems to stick around.

I think it is pretty naive to think it was one or the other calling shots. Just as it isn't just Sakic or Roy now.

Collaboration is good and generally leads to better results.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I haven't been on in a few days, but this was the best win all season. I saw something I haven't seen from the Avs in a long time. They faced adversity and took it head on. They played with heart the whole game and look what eventually happened. I was so proud of the team this game. I want to see more of that this season.
I agree. As much as I was disgusted by the loss against the Flames because of the way they competed, I was beyond happy with the last two games as they won these games different ways then usual. Usually they win by being out shot and having their goalie bail them out. These wins showed the signs of a really good team. The first win was arguably their best game of the year against a very very tough team to play against. Their second win was coming from behind again against a very very good team and although they were dominated in the first against the Blues, I think they were the much better team the rest of the game.

If we can stay healthy and maybe make a decent hockey trade we certainly have a chance to make it to the playoffs even with NAS getting better yesterday.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Whoever deserves credit for the EJ/Varly trades also gets credit for screwing up the entire organization from top to bottom. Absolutely no sense of what development is. Goalie Coach? What's that? Can't we just have someone tell our goalies to just not go down early and stop the puck?

A head coach that knows how to coach? Can't players just coach themselves? All they need is someone to tell them "good job" and "start the game on time".

Drafting strategy? Let's just draft some players and hope for the best.

Previous management was a wreck and a half. They deserve little to no credit because every single player would have been stunted in growth before forcing their way out of here with the idiots in charge. I refuse to give them credit when every trade/signing/draft pick they made wouldn't have worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad