Post-Game Talk: GAME #41 - Avs def. Canucks 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I wholeheartedly agree. Bieksa and elder should be explored as trade bait. Is bieksa on a full NTC? Elder NEEDs to be moved before his kicks in. He is horrendously overrated.

The ink is barely dry on Edler's extension. He's not getting moved. Bieksa is on a full NTC and took a discount to secure the NTC. Yes, he occasionally makes some bad decisions with the puck, but when he's on his game he creates offense and brings physicality. I think he's fine as a 2nd pairing D-man.

John Bender*

I wish we could lose one game--just one ******* GAME--without some sort of forum implosion. I swear, we could have a 10-game winning streak and people would still melt down when we finally lost one.

It's a good point. Probably a little hard for everyone to get up for this one. That said, I still think bieksa is junk and elder is overrated

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I wholeheartedly agree. Bieksa and elder should be explored as trade bait. Is bieksa on a full NTC? Elder NEEDs to be moved before his kicks in. He is horrendously overrated.

First, I'd rather see if a different coaching staff could get more out of these d-men.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Still need that minutes eating solid #1 dman. We have a lot of good 2-6 guys but our D sorely lacks that stud #1 guy. He would instantly make everyone better by sheltering minutes for guys like Bieksa and Elder. Edler has the potential to really be great but he's too inconsistent at the moment.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
It's a good point. Probably a little hard for everyone to get up for this one. That said, I still think bieksa is junk and elder is overrated

Ehhhh, sort of.

Would we like Bieksa to be better? Yes. However, he is extremely serviceable for what he's paid and what he's used for. He's a fantastic puck-mover, aggressive, a bit nasty and provides great leadership. He's basically what you expect for a 2nd pairing defensemen.

Edler may be overrated... or he may not be. He's a 1st pairing D-man on pretty much any team in the league, though not a "franchise defensemen" or "number 1 D". There is barely a player in the whole league I'd take over him considering his salary and what he brings to the table.

In addition, Edler still has room to grow. Most defensemen don't come into their own until 29-31. He still has plenty of time to develop into a real franchise guy. And if he never does, he's still plenty good as is.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
There are some pretty hilarious overreactions in this thread. The Avalanche are 11-7-2 at home this season, not sure why people expected this game to be a cakewalk. It's one poor road game, who really cares?

On another note, I'm still not sure what AV is doing with the lines. There are only 7 games left in the season and guys need to start building chemistry together. Unfortunately this seems eerily familiar to the end of last season when Daniel Sedin got hurt and AV just kept unsuccessfully throwing new line combinations together. We all know how well that worked out....

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
At times, I wonder why Luongo doesn't start after a good game. This is one of them. Luongo has been sitting out for a while. Yes, Schneider is our guy, but c'mon a Backup plays too! Also, Schneider just came off a flu, why not rest him a little? Okay, I know the loss has little to do with the goaltender so I'll just stop there.

Bieksa. Wtf. I was never convinced by his play. This is a prime example of why. He's consistently bad. People give too much credit to Bieksa when more credit should be given elsewhere like Hamhuis. I never understood how he got so much money for the way he plays. It's frustrating.

Lapierre wasn't great either, but at least he isn't making $5million, but is still playing a large role.

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get it off. I'm okay now. :)

Outside99*

A few years ago we got blown out in Denver as well. Altitude + early game = loss. Drawing any conclusions from this game would be a mistake.

Matchstick

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Funny how Grapes made a big deal out of going into Denver two days before the game was a huge mistake in the 70's when he was coaching there and low and behold the Canucks decided to prove him right.....

Meh a lost to a team that just beat the Ducks and lost in a shootout to LA, this is not the end of the world. (if you want a silver lining Colorado beat the ducks at sea level, they barely beat us at a mile up...)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I wish we could lose one game--just one ******* GAME--without some sort of forum implosion. I swear, we could have a 10-game winning streak and people would still melt down when we finally lost one.
In 2010-11 that was more or less literally happening. The Canucks were mopping the floor with the entire league, but every loss still produced overreactions.

And to be fair, many posters here go both ways: they are also euphoric after a win, declaring the team ready to take on anyone, etc. (Look at the in-thread reception Derek Roy got after his first couple of shifts). A lot of people here exemplify the exact opposite of "not riding the highs too high or the lows too low".

It's like people who draw vast conclusions about global warming based on what the weather is like today.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
who cares about some mean-nothing game against colorado with the division title in hand?

you guys, the grizzlies game right now is phenomenal. climb off the ledge and watch that.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think it was vankiller whale who said this is a good kick in the pants for us, i tend to agree. Av and his players get to over confident, I was telling my friend they are going to blow the 3rd period.

Why do we even dress bieksa for these games. He feels like he needs to put in no effort.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The ink is barely dry on Edler's extension. He's not getting moved. Bieksa is on a full NTC and took a discount to secure the NTC. Yes, he occasionally makes some bad decisions with the puck, but when he's on his game he creates offense and brings physicality. I think he's fine as a 2nd pairing D-man.

Frankly depending on how this post-season goes, I'd only say four guys should have their jobs guaranteed for next year - Garrison, Tanev, Hamhuis, and Bieksa.

Might come to many as a shock that I'd be putting Bieksa's name there given my past posts about him - but fact of the matter is, he's a right side D (and unlike Edler, has shown he can play well with Hamhuis in the past). Edler has been inconsistant defensively (I'm being kind here) no matter who his partner has been (sans Ehrhoff).

He's the weak link in the top four. And that isn't likely to change much.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Frankly depending on how this post-season goes, I'd only say four guys should have their jobs guaranteed for next year - Garrison, Tanev, Hamhuis, and Bieksa.

Might come to many as a shock that I'd be putting Bieksa's name there given my past posts about him - but fact of the matter is, he's a right side D (and unlike Edler, has shown he can play well with Hamhuis in the past). Edler has been inconsistant defensively (I'm being kind here) no matter who his partner has been (sans Ehrhoff).

Agree with your list. I would also add that Bieksa has proven time and time again that he has the ability to raise his game to another level when it matters most such as playoffs. I have been critical of Edler for a few seasons now. In my opinion he has been overrated by our fan base for far too long. He will never be a top 2 Dman simply because he is so inconsistent and when ever I see him in the playoffs he never is able to raise his game to that next level. He seems to have the same gear all they way through the season an playoffs and everything that this involves goes along with it. Just my opinion of course but I think Edler is overrated and sooner or later our fans are going to have to see him for what he is. He's not a young kid anymore where you can chalk it all up to growing pains. He is what he is.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013

Hmm, if I could choose, I would take Edler over Bieksa. Garrison can play the right wing. I don't know what's going on with Edler, but he wasn't like this two seasons ago. I feel like he can get back to form. Bieksa, however, has never been a huge fan of mine on the ice since the last time he was being talked about as trade bait. I really like him off the ice though. If Bieksa wasn't the price he is now, I would totally keep him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Losing game this late
tumblr_m2skobVnC91qhcrb0o1_500.gif

But a little less

tumblr_lnk9gljkoo1qafrh6.gif

Fans in this thread

M A K A V E L I*

I think Luongo gets the next game. He already has a SO at Nashville this season. The back-to-back is against the Blues, so they need to put Schneider in there since they're a likely 1st round playoff opponent.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think Luongo gets the next game. He already has a SO at Nashville this season. The back-to-back is against the Blues, so they need to put Schneider in there since they're a likely 1st round playoff opponent.

My guess is it will go schneider, then lou against st. louis, but just a guess.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Agree with Mak. That's how it should be.

My guess is it will go schneider, then lou against st. louis, but just a guess.

But once you include the AV factor, you just never know what you're gonna get and he could just as easily go with this.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Agree with Mak. That's how it should be.

But once you include the AV factor, you just never know what you're gonna get and he could just as easily go with this.

LoL thats what i was compensating for. The av factor.

Honestly though I just think av will give schneider next game as a bounce back then play lou against st. louis. But i could very well be wrong.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I agree, Schneider might have let in twice as many goals as he usually does but it wasn't a bad outing for him. All the goals were off turnovers, it's not really a performance that necessitates a bounce-back game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad