GDT: Game #41 - 01.10.15 - at Colorado - 2:00 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

NukeJukes43

You said that the Stars "wouldn't have to change much at all" to be a bottom 5 team. Losing the starting goalie is a ****ing huge change. I'd love to hear how you think we'd be worse than any of those teams without major injuries.

How is that a huge ****ing change to a roster? It's one player and Kari has a pretty bad track record with injuries, something this team was trying to prepare for by singing Lindback and Rynnas.

You're arguing with me on whether or not we're bad enough to be bottom 5 in the league. Have you seen Kari's stats? Even if he doesn't get injured it's not exactly a promising road to the playoffs for us. If you wanna swing and miss at a wildcard spot go ahead. Even if we make the playoffs, we don't have the goaltending or really even the defense to make it far at all.

But you're right those other 5 teams are so much worse they should be ECHL teams :sarcasm:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
How is that a huge ****ing change to a roster? It's one player and Kari has a pretty bad track record with injuries, something this team was trying to prepare for by singing Lindback and Rynnas.

You're arguing with me on whether or not we're bad enough to be bottom 5 in the league. Have you seen Kari's stats? Even if he doesn't get injured it's not exactly a promising road to the playoffs for us. If you wanna swing and miss at a wildcard spot go ahead. Even if we make the playoffs, we don't have the goaltending or really even the defense to make it far at all.

But you're right those other 5 teams are so much worse they should be ECHL teams :sarcasm:

So losing Seguin would be a minor change right ? I mean he's just one player and we have other centers to take his place. He hasn't been that great for the past little while so we could only improve with someone else as the 1c. And we brought in Spezza so we should be fine or we could always make Eakin our first line center.

That's literally what you're trying to say about Kari right now. But hey Lindback took over for Bishop last year so he should do just as well taking over for Kari. He managed 8 wins and 15 losses on a superior team so I'm excited to see how he'll do in front of our porous defense. Oh and random fun fact. If you take all of Lindback's starts and assume Kari or literally anyone else in the world would have gone .500 in them we'd be in a wildcard spot right now.

Brand New Stars

That actually isn't what he's saying at all. Don't even try to compare Seguin and Kari. That's absurd.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
That actually isn't what he's saying at all. Don't even try to compare Seguin and Kari. That's absurd.

He's saying that losing Kari would be a minor change to the team and I'm the one you think is being absurd ? Kari is a ****ing starting goaltender. That is not a replaceable position especially with our lack of viable backup options.

Brand New Stars

You absolutely are. Losing one of the absolute best offensive players in the league vs losing one of the worst 5 starters in the league this year?

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
You absolutely are. Losing one of the absolute best offensive players in the league vs losing one of the worst 5 starters in the league this year?

Losing a starting goalie vs losing a center. I was being hyperbolic but so was the person I was replying to.

Brand New Stars

You can't just compare positions. You have to compare the quality of the player at each position.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
You can't just compare positions. You have to compare the quality of the player at each position.

You are missing the entire point. The conversation is about whether or not losing a ****ing starting goaltender is a major change to the team. Which it is. And it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. It is equally ridiculous to suggest that losing Seguin would be a minor change. Just because people hate Kari now doesn't make him replaceable.

Brand New Stars

And you are completely missing the point that losing Kari this year wouldn't be a giant loss like in past years. He has been pretty awful for a large portion of the season. You are completely hung up on the word "starting". That doesn't mean much if the play isn't "starter" material on most other teams.

NukeJukes43

You are missing the entire point. The conversation is about whether or not losing a ****ing starting goaltender is a major change to the team. Which it is. And it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. It is equally ridiculous to suggest that losing Seguin would be a minor change. Just because people hate Kari now doesn't make him replaceable.

The only one missing the entire point is you. It has nothing to do with who we lose to me, you think we are far from being bottom 5 which is delusional. This team has an abysmally bad PP and worse goaltending overall.

What's more hilarious is you saying because Lindback came in and won a few games when Bishop went down that's we'll be fine if Kari does. I laughed out loud at that one .

NukeJukes43

And you are completely missing the point that losing Kari this year wouldn't be a giant loss like in past years. He has been pretty awful for a large portion of the season. You are completely hung up on the word "starting". That doesn't mean much if the play isn't "starter" material on most other teams.

This.

Ondrej Pavelec is a "starting" goalie.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Okay so we lose Kari. Who replaces him ? Lindback has gone 1-6-0 this year and as I said earlier he was 8-15-2 last year. Assuming he plays 26 of the remaining 41 (to equal Kari's 33 games recorded) I'd predict him to go about 9-15-2 considering his prior record and current play which would bring his total to 10-21-2. Kari is at 17-9-7. Lindback as our starter would make a substantial difference to our record.

Unless you want to argue that we could replace Kari with someone other than Lindback. But then who would it be ? Unless it's Rynnas or Campbell you would need to make a trade. Which would constitute a major change to the team. If it is Rynnas or Campbell you'd have to argue to me that they'd have a better record than Kari which you can't do. So basically losing Kari is a big ****ing change whether you like him and his stats or not.

What's more hilarious is you saying because Lindback came in and won a few games when Bishop went down that's we'll be fine if Kari does. I laughed out loud at that one .

I thought the sarcasm was more than obvious.

EDIT: Additionally if Lindback's record went as I predicted and another goalie played the remaining 15 games with a .500 record we would still finish with more points than Carolina, New Jersey, Buffalo, Arizona and Edmonton are all currently pacing for. Because that's how ****ing bad you have to be to be a bottom 5 team right now. Oh and also the Flyers. We'd be a #7 team with Lindback as our starter.

Last edited:

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
This thread is lol.

It would take awful injuries to even get us in the conversation. If Kari went down, we would certainly trade for someone. We have players ready to step in for traded vets, and we aren't far out of the playoffs now after half a season with awful d and some of the worst goaltending in the league.

Goaltending can either stay the same or improve but surely it can't get much worse and the d is trending in the right direction compared to earlier in the year. Not recipes for a top 5 pick. In fact, we seem to have the precise recipe for the wasted season pick.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The worst part about turning on Nill for failing to get a top five pick is that the only impactful moves the team could make to tank are to dump players you'd want on the team next season.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
The worst part about turning on Nill for failing to get a top five pick is that the only impactful moves the team could make to tank are to dump players you'd want on the team next season.

Yeah Nill has a put together a decent roster that is getting better. Poor coaching, goaltending, and injuries are keeping us from the playoffs. You don't construct rosters to pick in the top 5 on purpose unless your the Oilers. Well maybe Buffalo.

NukeJukes43

It's not like I said I wanted the guy fired if he doesn't do it. Just said I'd hop off the bandwagon. I've loved him so far but I just want him to use his scouting knowledge in a deep draft to get us another long term impact player.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
It's not like I said I wanted the guy fired if he doesn't do it. Just said I'd hop off the bandwagon. I've loved him so far but I just want him to use his scouting knowledge in a deep draft to get us another long term impact player.

Very reasonable as well. Seems like he did well last year getting Honka where he did. For that matter, the 1st 2 round picks look really good so far.

I hate that I'm about to go here but, The red wings have drafted extremely well from very non prime draft positions. So far Nill hasn't proven he can't do that here as well. In fact, with very limited sample size, I'd say all he has done is improved the team while drafting very well.

I don't see him drafting Glennie and passing on sure fire quality players for goalies even with later picks. My only knock is coaching hires and back up goalie choices.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I just don't know how you get a top five pick without dumping the only good parts of the team.

Step one, keep playing Jordie.

Step two, play Lindback more often.

Step three, sit any good regular for any nagging pain, ie if Goligoski is still hurting sit him to get him healthy or just let him go ahead and have surgery if he needs it.

Step four, limit Seguin's and Klingberg's minutes.

Step five, sell the excess fat and run a rotation of kids up and down from Cedar Park, not giving anyone time to gel at the NHL level. Be sure to target kids or picks in return for our players. Due to numbers send Ritchie back down to Cedar Park even though he's better than the guys coming back.

Step six, do not fire Frazier till this summer. The terrible power play must remain the same. Change up the penalty kill to rest Benn more and stick out there a few guys who shouldn't be killing penalties like Goligoski, Spezza, Hemsky etc with the stated goal to give them more minutes.

Step seven, offer a few guys who while helpful only have one year remaining on their contract. Fiddler would help us win, he would also help a playoff team, therefore trade him if a good offer is made. See also Goligoski or if anyone would actually take Moen.

Step eight, luck. Yeah the Stars need some luck not to go their way. An accidently on purpose bout of food poisoning or dysentery. A bout with the mumps or a nasty flu virus to spread. Minor, non-permanent self sabotage could go a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad