Post-Game Talk: Game 4 vs PIT - 3 Stars and stuff

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
1. Larkin. He was flying, the offense flowed through him tonight.
2. DeBrincat. Right place, right time all the time and he cashed in on it.
3. Husso. Overall numbers don't wow you, but he was very sharp throughout and kept the game in hand several times when I was certain the pens were going to tie the score at 4.

Goat - Raymond. Pains me to say it but the first line is clicking without much more than a whisper from him. He's at his best when he has the puck and that ain't gonna happen too much when playing with Larkin and Cat.

AussieWings

Oct 12, 2018
Melbourne
Looks like it was a fun game, but not available for me to watch on ESPN+ in Oz. :( I'm hoping this is just a screw up by ESPN, and doesn't mean other TNT games will also be unavailable (I had access to every game last year).

Reactions: lilidk and Realgud

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Only caught the first. Will sit this one out. Hopefully a sg becomes apparent.

FYI. Anything that’s not a players name gets ignored. Maybe that’s better info for comments.

That said, I appreciate the replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Looks like it was a fun game, but not available for me to watch on ESPN+ in Oz. :( I'm hoping this is just a screw up by ESPN, and doesn't mean other TNT games will also be unavailable (I had access to every game last year).
Sorry to say it, but none of the TNT games will be covered. Thankfully it only amounts to a handful throughout the season.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
1. Debrincat
2. Petry
3. Husso

Honorable mentions: Copp, Larkin, Compher, Rasmussen (quietly), and Czarnik.

Spacegoat: Looks like you're eliminating it for wins, that makes sense, most commenters don't want to pick one.

The Sprong-Veleno line played well, but in limited minutes -- would have liked to have seen them more, they were bringing some energy and physicality. And it looked like our top 2 lines were gassed in the third after a very high-energy 2nd. Maybe more balanced playing time would have helped; or maybe not, maybe the Shit-birds' top line would have feasted on our third or fourth line if given the chance.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Good game overall. Eventually we'll need to tighten up some defensive stuff and I'm not 100% confident in Husso yet, but it's sure nice to have the offensive punch to be able to win games without being perfect defensively.
The defense to me is still sketchy, even though Chairot and Petry contributed. I think Eddy needs to be called up sooner than later and Steve needs to admit one of his mistakes and trade/cut them. I would prefer a Ed/Holl third line combo over Petry/Chairot. Other than that everything is Hunky Dory so far.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
1. Larkin
2. Copp
3. Compher

Scapegoat: Veleno wasn't very noticeable. Not a bad game but had to pick someone.
I think he was actually fairly noticeable, but often when I noticed him it was him unable to take advantage of several golden offensive opportunities. Without looking at any numbers, he seemed to play well defensively again, but it would great if he could further advance his offense

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The defense to me is still sketchy, even though Chairot and Petry contributed. I think Eddy needs to be called up sooner than later and Steve needs to admit one of his mistakes and trade/cut them. I would prefer a Ed/Holl third line combo over Petry/Chairot. Other than that everything is Hunky Dory so far.
We have great depth and are playing well. Yzerman will add Edvinsson as soon as he's ready. Look at where this team is right now compared to where it was in Holland's last season, there is really no comparison.

Trust the Yzerplan.

Reactions: DamonDRW

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
1697719719983.png

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
1. Debrincat
2. Petry
3. Husso

Honorable mentions: Copp, Larkin, Compher, Rasmussen (quietly), and Czarnik.

Spacegoat: Looks like you're eliminating it for wins, that makes sense, most commenters don't want to pick one.

The Sprong-Veleno line played well, but in limited minutes -- would have liked to have seen them more, they were bringing some energy and physicality. And it looked like our top 2 lines were gassed in the third after a very high-energy 2nd. Maybe more balanced playing time would have helped; or maybe not, maybe the Shit-birds' top line would have feasted on our third or fourth line if given the chance.
Larkin sat for 7 straight minutes. I think his absence was noticeable, and problematic for the team through the 3rd. It's nice to see him jump in there for his team, but I would think Lalonde spent some time advising him to leave this sort of thing to Kostin

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think he was actually fairly noticeable, but often when I noticed him it was him unable to take advantage of several golden offensive opportunities. Without looking at any numbers, he seemed to play well defensively again, but it would great if he could further advance his offense
Agreed. It feels like Veleno is where quality scoring chances go to die.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
1) Larkin....3 apples and a "fight", true captain shit right there
2) Husso, I don't feel like he stole or robbed anyone per se, but he was just there when he needed to be. Particularly in the 3rd when we were playing prevent hockey (bleh). I thought for sure we were going to piss this one away.
3) Walman...he's been our best overall defenseman this season. Seider looks like he's trying to do too much again but Walman is a steady presence with and without the puck. He blocked or got in lanes really well yesterday and for the whole season.

Spaceghost: Perron...and or Petry. Stats don't show it but they don't have the wheels anymore.

HM's:
1) Copp. He looks like he's feeling it. He's already got 17 SOG this season so he's working for it. Maybe he really did need longer to recover from the abdominal surgery last year.
2) Raymond on the forecheck. He looks faster, and harder on the puck. The points will come but he's looking really good so far
3) Same story for Veleno and Rasmussen.
4) Coaching staff, the team looks like they've bought into the system and for 4 games it looks somewhat suffocating and entertaining offensively. I'm happy where this team is going.

Also...a play of note was on the PK when we were hemmed in our zone we finally cleared it and I assumed everyone would change but Seider somehow had enough gas to forecheck and keep the puck in their zone for another 10-15seconds. German engineering man...

Reactions: raymond23

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We have great depth and are playing well. Yzerman will add Edvinsson as soon as he's ready. Look at where this team is right now compared to where it was in Holland's last season, there is really no comparison.

Trust the Yzerplan.
Then he and Lalonde better hurry up and get ready, because Ed certainly is.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Here in the states so far the TNT games have been available on Max (formerly HBO Max), which thankfully I already have. NHL games being spread across networks is so annoying. This time it happened to work out in my favor.

Reactions: AussieWings

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I call shenanigans. Until the 3rd Karlsson was invisible. And Crosby was invisible all game it seemed.
Yea I'm not sure how they come by these. I like the fact that it is a quick look, but at times they don't line up. I will say, it seemed clear at times that the Crosby line was pushing the pace in the offensive zone, but I can't say how they determine exactly what his influence was on that.

Is there a key on reading this? Does - on defense = good?
I don't know for sure, I may just stop posting them altogether. Seider seems to often have a negative defensive score, but the eye test says he is doing well. He obviously has the harder matchups, so that may have something to do with it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yea I'm not sure how they come by these. I like the fact that it is a quick look, but at times they don't line up. I will say, it seemed clear at times that the Crosby line was pushing the pace in the offensive zone, but I can't say how they determine exactly what his influence was on that.

I don't know for sure, I may just stop posting them altogether. Seider seems to often have a negative defensive score, but the eye test says he is doing well. He obviously has the harder matchups, so that may have something to do with it.

One of the stories that isn't really being told in those charts is strength of matchup. By that chart Seider and Walman were our worst defenders but that simply was not the case.

Reactions: cvaicunas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad