GDT: Game #4 Sharks vs Islanders @ Nassau Coliseum 4pm PDT - Crummy Doodle Edition

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
some nice inter-team bromances going on here :)

best of luck to you guys this year

tumblr_m42v7vCrno1qe5ejbo1_400.gif

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I guess we found the common denominator that kept the Sharks winning:

SCOTT HANNAN

Numbers don't lie, folks

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Well Demers and Irwin were also trapped in their own zone more than any other pair last night for extended shifts.

That's definitely true. It's so nerve racking to watch Irwin on the ice at all. I'm actually really shocked at how much they used Vlasic and Braun. They had like 23 minutes of even strength time each. It was incredible. And yet, I didn't even realize they were out that much except for when Braun would randomly jump up on offense.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
I used to look forward to being entertained by the commentators when the on-ice product wasn't up to snuff. Last night was lacking in both departments IMO. Time will tell if they chemistry comes and I hope it does.

On another note, it is interesting that Irwin got almost a full minute more playing time than Burns. Braun/Vlasic each played 25:00+, Demers 22:41, Irwin 20:20 and Burns 19:28. Presumably it is because they are sheltering Mueller and not wanting to break up the pairings, but it seems a bad use of personnel - especially with how effective Burns has been.

Seriously? Burns was beaten on D last night more times than a fresh fish in his first month in San Quentin. A remarkable demonstration of his limitations.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seriously? Burns was beaten on D last night more times than a fresh fish in his first month in San Quentin. A remarkable demonstration of his limitations.

He got beat on the two times he fell. I wouldn't worry about it very much considering his skating skills. I worry more about Irwin falling because his skating sucks to begin with and I'm not surprised about it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Prove it.

He can't. He'll point to an instance or two and act like that's all that is needed to make such a comment. Some people simply don't know how to take everything into account when evaluating a player. He didn't get as much time because they couldn't draw any penalties and certain lines and pairings were getting worked over. That happens sometimes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He can't. He'll point to an instance or two and act like that's all that is needed to make such a comment. Some people simply don't know how to take everything into account when evaluating a player. He didn't get as much time because they couldn't draw any penalties and certain lines and pairings were getting worked over. That happens sometimes.

Yup the Isles really went after the Irwin/Demers pairing.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Burns has been has been fine defensively and is the #1 offensive weapon for the Sharks thus far this season (6 points - tied for 2nd in the NHL in defensive scoring). Regardless, if he is going to played as a $5.8MM 3rd pairing RHD, they should call up Fedun and move Burns back to forward.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns has been has been fine defensively and is the #1 offensive weapon for the Sharks thus far this season (6 points - tied for 2nd in the NHL in defensive scoring). Regardless, if he is going to played as a $5.8MM 3rd pairing RHD, they should call up Fedun and move Burns back to forward.

We're really going to make this kind of statement after one game where they altered the distribution of ice time in large part because he played with a rookie and there wasn't very much special teams action going on? Really? It's not unheard of for top players to be scaled back at even strength on occasion.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Burns also had less time on ice due to that silly penalty against him when his stick broke and he quickly gloved the puck which ended up out of play.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
We're really going to make this kind of statement after one game where they altered the distribution of ice time in large part because he played with a rookie and there wasn't very much special teams action going on? Really? It's not unheard of for top players to be scaled back at even strength on occasion.

It is amazing how reading comprehension goes out the window when a lack thereof opens the door for snarky comments on the internet. :shakehead

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It is amazing how reading comprehension goes out the window when a lack thereof opens the door for snarky comments on the internet. :shakehead

The snarky comments are justified because there is no reading comprehension issue. Saying regardless if he's getting paid whatever to be a 3rd pairing d-man then they should move him up front warrants that response when it was one freaking game.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

To be fair, Burns played 25 minutes during the Winnipeg game and 23 minutes in Washington. So far, he's been quite a workhorse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad