Jun 29, 2009
Kunitz - Crosby - Malkin
Jokinen - Sutter - Neal
Bennett - Goc - Stempniak
Gibbons - Vitale - Adams

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Niskanen
Scuderi/Orpik - Bortuzzo

Stick with these lines for the rest of the playoffs. When Orpik's ready to go, put him in for Scuderi and keep the top two pairings how they currently are.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just to make mention to the deleted posts - Do not attack posters who stop on by. Albeit it was an accident, report the post and move on. Attacking another poster - you will receive an infraction.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just to make mention to the deleted posts - Do not attack posters who stop on by. Albeit it was an accident, report the post and move on. Attacking another poster - you will receive an infraction.

What if you live in Soviet Russia and the infraction attacks you?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Did anyone mention about Megna being sent down?

I didn't see anything on here about it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Same. It's a good narrative, there's a symmetry to it.

There really is..... I mean, I had prepared myself for the first round implosion.
-Figured the only team we had a shot vs was Columbus, and even then it might be like the isles last year....
-I was adamant that we'd be blown up if we faced Philly this round... totally embarrassed by our hated rivals...
-Figured new York would just beat us because we would mess up the matchups, and even if we got out of this round it would be just for cannon fodder for Boston...
-Never did I think Montreal would have even a shot to get by the bruins (and I really still don't), but wouldn't it just be uber painful to get the road paved for a shot at the cup, then watch us piss it away against the coach we ushered out for our 09 cup.... :cry:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If the Pens did pull off a miracle and win the cup, if nothing changed in how players are playing, Fleury maybe would not be, but should be, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner. Who on the Pens has been most responsible for their wins so far?

Chew on that for a moment.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

It was brought up in the post game thread ... Personally, I would have like to have seen him in place of Adams, but at least if he's in W-B/S he's playing instead of sitting in the press box.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It's been mentioned somewhere around here.

There really is..... I mean, I had prepared myself for the first round implosion.
-Figured the only team we had a shot vs was Columbus, and even then it might be like the isles last year....
-I was adamant that we'd be blown up if we faced Philly this round... totally embarrassed by our hated rivals...
-Figured new York would just beat us because we would mess up the matchups, and even if we got out of this round it would be just for cannon fodder for Boston...
-Never did I think Montreal would have even a shot to get by the bruins (and I really still don't), but wouldn't it just be uber painful to get the road paved for a shot at the cup, then watch us piss it away against the coach we ushered out for our 09 cup.... :cry:

Yeah, it works. The guy Bylsma replaced and whose team he won a cup with thus securing his job getting Byslma fired for losing to his new(ish) team. It kind of works if the Pens win the cup after going through Therrien's team.

The Pens getting eliminated by Detroit would have had symmetry as well, also how the mighty had fallen, given where they would have met. There was and is lots of potential for an "It's come full circle" moment these playoffs and good narratives.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, the same reporter who let us know Dustin Jeffrey was on waivers said something about that in my twitter feed.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I would actually be somewhat happy for Therrien. Certainly could tolerate losing to the Habs for Therrien's redemption and Montreal's first Cup bid in 21 years.

But I'll think more about it if the Pens can close out the Blueshirts.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This video accurately describes, to me, what goes on in Bylsma's head most of the time.

Also, I hope Fleury is perfect again just to watch this board implode with excuse after excuse as to why he's still crappy and that the Rangers are letting him play that way.

Do it MAF...DO IT.

Also, screw Orpik, I hope he never plays for the Pens again, it's been a breath of fresh air seeing Bortz play and actually make it tough for opponents in the Pens zone.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I still hope to see Bennett (or another meaningful non-Jokinen) on Malkin's left wing.
Whereas results have been ultimately satisfying with Sid and Malkin together, that line has had little to do with it offensively. Malkin's first goal in game 6 against Columbus to be exact if you look at plays where they've both been factors (ie. I don't count Sid's breakaway that could have happened like that at any time). I remained convinced, that it is a colossal waste not using Geno as a C, and the only argument in favor would be them straight up dominating. They don't.

Anyway.... If we win game 4 the Rags will be toast, IMO.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If the Pens did pull off a miracle and win the cup, if nothing changed in how players are playing, Fleury maybe would not be, but should be, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner. Who on the Pens has been most responsible for their wins so far?

Chew on that for a moment.

I think right now Fleury unquestionably is our conn smythe candidate. None of our forwards have stood out enough to get that distinction. Maybe Paul Martin deserves an honorable mention as well.

Fleury would have been Conn Smythe in 08 had we pulled that series out against Detroit, so it's not like he's incapable of keeping this play up.

Having said that, we need our stars to start scoring if we're gonna make a deep run. I'm amazed we've gotten as far as we have considering how Sid and Geno haven't been lighting it up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think right now Fleury unquestionably is our conn smythe candidate. None of our forwards have stood out enough to get that distinction. Maybe Paul Martin deserves an honorable mention as well.

Fleury would have been Conn Smythe in 08 had we pulled that series out against Detroit, so it's not like he's incapable of keeping this play up.

Having said that, we need our stars to start scoring if we're gonna make a deep run. I'm amazed we've gotten as far as we have considering how Sid and Geno haven't been lighting it up.

While MAF has been solid, I think for me it goes Paul Martin, then Marc-Andre Fleury and Matt Niskanen as the 3rd guy.

Those 3 have been massive for the team's success this year in the playoffs, I think it's imperative that Shero sign Niskanen asap after the playoffs, the guy has blossomed into the player the Stars thought they had when they drafted him, their loss was our massive gain.

Martin on the other hand, 2nd on the team in points, plays 27+ mins a game and is +9.

He's playing some of the best hockey I have ever seen the guy play.

HM to Brandon Sutter, kid has really stepped it up since he finally was rid of Glass and Adams dragging him down, also Kobasew.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
When Orpik's ready to go, put him in for Scuderi and keep the top two pairings how they currently are.

I would love to see this (as there is no WAY DB replaces Scuds with "Fatso" -- which is what I would really LOVE to see)...

...but, I am near certain that it will not happen. If in DB's mind Bortz has played his way onto the team (he has) and thus he decides not to bench Bortz for Or-peck, then I really believe he'd sit Maatta LONG before he would DARE sit Scuderi. I truly believe that there's next to nothing Scuds could do wrong that would cause DB to give him even ONE GAME in the press box...

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
First period is gonna be huge. We need to come at least tied out of it. You just know that the Rangers will be desperate and will also get those 3 early powerplays again for whatever reason... Their PP looked dangerous in game 3, but if our PK is able to get the job done, then the crowd will start booing instead of cheering and we would have them right where we want to.

Toxic Holocaust

May 6, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys! This is my first post here. Penguins fan since 1996 from Melbourne, Australia!

Been reading the forums for years, but only just decided I had to join up!
Can't wait for this game. Win this, and I think we're set to advance.

Fingers crossed we keep up the same defensive intensity, and that Bylsma can stick with what's been working!!!

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Please just don't get overconfident, keep the working lines together and play better than last game. That's probably too much to ask for, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad