Pre-Game Talk: Game 4 - Pens vs. Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Let's get some discussion going

I'll take one more on Wednesday of what I got on Sunday from Vokoun, Geno, Martin, Letang, and the team defense, please.

While I'm at it, I may as well be greedy and ask for both Neal AND Iginla to be playing RW and Glass to be playing with himself in the press box.

CordPara

May 16, 2013
I'd be very surprised if Anderson can hold the Pens to 1 goal again. VERY surprised.

I think the Pens need 3 to get back home up 3-1. 4 max.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I would like to see the Pens come out and play exactly the way they did on Sunday with the exception of about 10 seconds at the end of the game. And I'd like to see Sid's line have a bit better of a game. Overall though there wasn't much to complain about. A bungled PP and Anderson were the difference in the game and I agree, I don't think Anderson can hold the Pens to one goal again. His numbers against them this season and specifically this series seem to indicate that he won't.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I expect a mostly adult fanbase on the board to act like it if everything does not go according to plan. ;)

But seriously, it should be another hard-fought game where it can go either way at the end. Looking forward to more awesome playoff hockey.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Same philosophy since Vokoun took over. Simply give up three goals or less and the chances of winning are 90+%

Sunday changed nothing and if everyone on the Pens plays the way they did the other day than they win by 3-4 goals

Very optimistic that the Pens ravage them in their house and knock them out in Game 5

insomniac34

Mar 31, 2010
Also, let's be real here. Lay on Bylsma all you want - is there REALLY any reason the two best forwards in the NHL shouldn't be able to properly kill a penalty at the end of the game? I think many Pens fans blame is misplaced here. Believe it or not, Sid and Geno should have absolutely knew what to do in that scenario. And they dropped the ball. Poor leadership & play from them IMO. It's not like HCDB threw out a Glass-Kennedy-Iginla line to kill that penalty. He put the weight of the game on his 'C' and 'A' to close it out, and there's no reason he should have had any doubt IMO.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If we play the same way we played Sunday, instant win. Not even a question. That was the best hockey game they played period.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If we play the same way we played Sunday, instant win. Not even a question. That was the best hockey game they played period.

Minus the obvious last 90 seconds, it truly was brilliant.

That was the best neutral zone defense I've seen them play under Bylsma. Then the penalty happened and everyone took a giant **** in the bed.

insomniac34

Mar 31, 2010

I can't BELIEVE how many Pens fans are acting like we played like **** and the series is over. It boggles the mind. Yeah it sucks to lose in such heartbreaking & dramatic fashion, but **** happens in the playoffs. No injuries, near perfect play, dominated everything but the scoreboard; there is so much to be optimistic/pleased about.

If the Pens themselves have the attitude of most of this board, they're going to come out unnecessarily desperate and sloppy and get owned. I don't think that's the case, however.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Out-of-this-world play from an elite goaltender and a poor coaching mistake from DB on an otherwise fantastic night from him (except for the whole "playing Glass" thing, but again if Anderson doesn't make a handful of godly saves then Glass hardly matters anyways). It's the kind of loss that doesn't usually happen, because we could have just as easily been up 3-4 goals at the end of that game.

Or play an actual puck possesion PP and win the game. Everyone go puck battle in their zone.

Complaining about Glass still, who didn't cost the team anything, is the least of their worries.

Getting the lines in order and keeping them in a proven manner is more key. Even if it's;

Dupuis, Crosby, Iginla
Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy
Marrow, Jokinen, Adams/Bennett

One thing definitely lost in all of this is Neal not making a big enough impact.

Other than a game here or there most of the players have done their job more consistently, more responsiblely, for being in the top six.

This guy needs to show up more than who everyone else is complaining about.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I can't BELIEVE how many Pens fans are acting like we played like **** and the series is over. It boggles the mind. Yeah it sucks to lose in such heartbreaking & dramatic fashion, but **** happens in the playoffs. No injuries, near perfect play, dominated everything but the scoreboard; there is so much to be optimistic/pleased about.

If the Pens themselves have the attitude of most of this board, they're going to come out unnecessarily desperate and sloppy and get owned. I don't think that's the case, however.

The majority of fans are saying that we played really well and that that was our best game in play-offs. Many of the fans here as I see sincerely think that there are major areas for improvements and in all our naiveness suggesting potential improvements.

Simple as that

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Also, let's be real here. Lay on Bylsma all you want - is there REALLY any reason the two best forwards in the NHL shouldn't be able to properly kill a penalty at the end of the game? I think many Pens fans blame is misplaced here. Believe it or not, Sid and Geno should have absolutely knew what to do in that scenario. And they dropped the ball. Poor leadership & play from them IMO. It's not like HCDB threw out a Glass-Kennedy-Iginla line to kill that penalty. He put the weight of the game on his 'C' and 'A' to close it out, and there's no reason he should have had any doubt IMO.

Bylsma made a line change shorty before the tying goal. Sutter for Crosby.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Look, fans ALWAYS take these losses harder than the players in terms of lingering effects. It will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of tomorrow's game, and I bet the Pens are yukking it up and pulling pranks in the locker room right now, Sunday night all but forgotten. Tomorrow is a separate item.

However, as well as they played, as much as they dominated, the fact remains that that they were 30 seconds away from having won this series all but officially. They were 30 seconds away from at WORSE, having an elimination game at home on Friday.

I can't believe how dismissive people are about Sunday night. I get blowing a lead with a minute to go, but to do it while up a man? Still unforgivable no matter how well they played the first 58 minutes.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Look, fans ALWAYS take these losses harder than the players in terms of lingering effects. It will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of tomorrow's game, and I bet the Pens are yukking it up and pulling pranks in the locker room right now, Sunday night all but forgotten. Tomorrow is a separate item.

However, as well as they played, as much as they dominated, the fact remains that that they were 30 seconds away from having won this series all but officially. They were 30 seconds away from at WORSE, having an elimination game at home on Friday.

I can't believe how dismissive people are about Sunday night. I get blowing a lead with a minute to go, but to do it while up a man? Still unforgivable no matter how well they played the first 58 minutes.

I'm not sure what you want people to do? Panic and act like the sky is falling or look forward to tomorrow and hope they can play well again and get it right back?

I think everyone here realizes we missed a great opportunity, but your response seems like you expect more hysteria, which there is already more than enough of on this board.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I think they lacked killer instinct and I really think they expected the Senators to fold the tent once the Pens got the powerplay.

A crucial miscalculation on the Pens part but if it weren't for the veteran leadership, champions many of them, I would not be worried if I were a Pittsburgh fan.

I think that in Game 4 they will not ease up and play to the final buzzer...lesson learned. The question is how much momentum has switched to the Sens. Andy had a great game, Karlsson was better, but not close to where he was before and hoping Spezza has his legs a little better.

If Ottawa gets the first goal it could put the Pens on their heals, bring in some doubt. But Ottawa has not played with the lead yet.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I expect a mostly adult fanbase on the board to act like it if everything does not go according to plan. ;)

But seriously, it should be another hard-fought game where it can go either way at the end. Looking forward to more awesome playoff hockey.

And I expect you to share a few ounces of whatever you snorted before posting that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad