Pre-Game Talk: Game 4 - Pens vs. Bruins: The Comeback Begins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Need big game from Sid, Geno, Neal, Kunitz and an even bigger game by Vokoun please!!!

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Time to lead by example, Sid!

Expecting a huge game from Crosby tonight. He needs to show up big time today.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
I don't know we will lose it or win, but I'm sure we'll give 'em the heat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Might as well make a little history. Nothing good will come of a sweep.

At least go out with a little bit of pride and win a game. Game 3 was a nice start that unfortunately came two games too late.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Look... we have an entire offseason to be negative (if we lose). I'm all-in until the final buzzer. If it happens tonight, oh well.

LET'S GO PENS! One game at a freaking time. Let's go!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'll be working possibly a day straight and won't be able to stream the game while doing so; best I can do is check in on the score online/my phone. With that, we should see a killer Penguins game just so I can be upset that I missed it.

Given what I know of this group I'm not optimistic but I am hoping they can pull it out and prove me wrong. Go Pens!

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope we win, we could really use another home game to afford the buy-out of Fleury :P

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not as excited for this one as I normally am but I'm hoping the tide turns. They played a half-decent game last time out and lost.

They need to settle down and keep on ice awareness. Just go out and play hockey the way they're capable of and showed us before this series started. I'm not sure what's going on in their heads but sometimes you have to forget the whiteboard for a second and use common sense - take away open space in your own team's zone. Maybe hesitation, indecisiveness and over-thinking are contributing factors to what's up out there.

If you're going to have slower pairings out there, the forwards are going to have to be defensively responsible.
Its not over. Hope they make it interesting.

fate

Apr 15, 2007
any word on crosby playing the whole game without helmet tonight?

Grandma Bingo

May 14, 2013
Here's a big reason I want a win tonight:

Iggy shouldn't have to endure the heckling he'll get in Boston during the handshake line.

If Boston is going to win this series, let them win it in Pittsburgh.

Secondly:

A win tonight puts a *LITTLE* seed of doubt into the only living goalie to blow a 3-0 series lead in the NHL playoffs - Tuukka Rask. Especially if the Pens somehow crack him for 4+ goals.

He's living on confidence right now. Crack him a little tonight and let the seeds of doubt begin.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Some things I'm hoping to see....

- Winning each period.

- Getting pucks deep and keeping them there. Not just dumping pucks but skating pucks deep. Show some poise.

- Outs must be made 100% of the time.

- No east west plays at the offensive blue line. They back check to hard for that.

- On face offs... Iggy used as a mirror image of "The Neal Play".

- Get Iggy on the 1st PP unit YOU ****ING MORONS!!!! Did we just blow a great draft year for 3rd liners and 2nd unit PP players?

- Better shot selection. 45 shots on nets doesn't mean dick when you're busting logo's all night.

- Sort of in the same vein as shot selection. Don't let the net be a vortex to suck in pucks. Own the offensive zone. They collapse and give up the perimeter. Use if to keep the puck in their end for long stretches and stop forcing shots that aren't there or shoot when there is no net front.

Bolded for how annoying it is to watch.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Your last bolded point is the exact reason why the team can't establish an effective net front presence, like everyone has been clamoring for. They cannot maintain possession long enough in the offensive zone. All of their chances are one and done.

You aren't going to even have time to set up shop in front of the net, if that's the case.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Your last bolded point is the exact reason why the team can't establish an effective net front presence, like everyone has been clamoring for. They cannot maintain possession long enough in the offensive zone. All of their chances are one and done.

You aren't going to even have time to set up shop in front of the net, if that's the case.
It is mind numbing to watch how one and done the Pens are. Its like watching a tennis player hit balls into the ocean.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's kind of hilarious in a tragic way that they fancy themselves a puck possession team but barely posses the puck. The vast majority of their chances come off the rush... not sustained offensive zone pressure. Boston is very good at snuffing out the Penguins' breakout and stifling offensive rushes because of their near-flawless positioning and active sticks in lanes. Not to mention their coaches obvious understanding of the Penguins' system. So it's no wonder they've scored at less than a goal a game pace.

Funny thing is, it wasn't too many years ago that this team was outstanding at establishing a cycle on all four lines. They just often couldn't finish, particularly during those large stretches when Sid and Geno were out with injury. I can't help but think that would be very different, these days.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
As cliche as it sounds, 1 win gets us back in it.. We come back home for game 5, home crowd gets a win there, and then all the sudden doubt starts creeping in and last 2 games are a coin flip. I've gotten tails twice in a row before... Let's go...

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
We'll win this tonight, the Bruins are traditionally pretty bad when only they can end a series.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Plus, no one thought Boston could win 4 straight for a sweep.. It's about to happen possibly.. So why can't the Pens win 4 straight.. They ARE capable, whether you pessimists agree or not.

Penguinzilla*

Predictions:
Game 4: Penguins win pretty easy
Game 5: This will be the absolute hardest to win. Penguins will have their "we're too good to lose" attitude back and if something goes "wrong", like someone crosschecks Crosby, they will turn into game 2 crybabies again. Hopefully they can find a way to win.
Game 6: Penguins feeling great. Bruins worried. Pens win.
Game 7: Penguins on fire and full of confidence. Bruins not so much. Pens win.

:)

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Assuming that this thread, that was made one day before game 6 of the Bruins-Leafs series, has the correct numbers up to that date, the Bruins record for the playoffs is as follows:

Bruins record when only Bruins can win series: 4-11
Bruins record when only opposing team can win series: 6-0
Bruins record when both teams can win series (game 7): 5-4

So I assume that losing the first three was Bylsma's plan all along since it's easier to win against them then. Freaking genius.

*EDIT: Hm, the OP of the mentioned thread updated his numbers and they're different. Somebody here can't count and I fear it's me. The point stands, though.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Going positive.

137061452091093_zps8da34065.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events