Pre-Game Talk: Game 4: Pens/Habs Tomorrow @ 4PM (Do Habs End It on Crosby's B-Day?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think the pens are in a better spot than it looks.

Pens likely come into game 4 with their best game as their backs are against the wall. They should win it.

This forces price into a 5 game in 8 day situation. Meanwhile, I think jarry is likely to start game 4 and 5, and he should be fresher than price.

Basically I think habs chances are small to win a game 5, and I think thats what it's going to take to get through.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Pens likely come into game 4 with their best game as their backs are against the wall. They should win it.

This forces price into a 5 game in 8 day situation. Meanwhile, I think jarry is likely to start game 4 and 5, and he should be fresher than price.

We need an opposing Qc goalie to jinx this. (I know he's not, still Qc name!)

They always do, why stop now

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Basically I think habs chances are small to win a game 5, and I think thats what it's going to take to get through.
Depends who is in nets. Jarry was the solution all along. The Pens coach is utterly resolute in imposing double standards in choosing his starter, at potentially dire cost to his team.

If he insists on sticking with Murray, the Habs have a legitimate shot, because of the disparity in goaltending, and by extension in the disparity in the skaters' belief in their respective goalies. That disparity in belief was on display during the last game: faith in Price gives our skaters the feeling, right or wrong, that they can claw their way back.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pens fan coming with a question:

First off the Habs absolutely have outplayed us and deserve to win this series thus far but my question is are any of you upset about the very real possibility of losing out on the top spot in the draft?
No...because we could lose the top spot even if we lose this series.

I could never begrudge athletes for winning...

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Domi - Suzuki -Gallagher
Tatar - Danault - Lehkonen
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Evans/Weal - Weal/Poehling

(If Evans 4C, Weal 4RW)
(If Weal 4C, Poehling 4RW)

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Jesus

DO IT Clown Julien!

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Depends who is in nets. Jarry was the solution all along. The Pens coach is utterly resolute in imposing double standards in choosing his starter, at potentially dire cost to his team.

If he insists on sticking with Murray, the Habs have a legitimate shot, because of the disparity in goaltending, and by extension in the disparity in the skaters' belief in their respective goalies. That disparity in belief was on display during the last game: faith in Price gives our skaters the feeling, right or wrong, that they can claw their way back.

That goalie actually won them 2 Stanley Cups in recent years. Not sure the skaters are that skeptical about him though. I understand very well the hesitation from their coach.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No...because we could lose the top spot even if we lose this series.

I could never begrudge athletes for winning...

Definitely cant begrudge the athletes. But I think the mentality is not so much about losing the top pick. That would be absolute gravy.

But the concern is the difference between 9 and 16, in a year where supposedly the drop off is quite large.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
It must have been said before but If we win this series we will then play either the Flyers or the Lightning. Those 2 teams are playing each other on the 8th. I guess a matchup with the Flyers would be better? We won our last game agains't them in January by a score of 4-1.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I'd actually love to see the Habs upset the Pens. I have a lot of Hab fans in my family back east that would be pretty pumped. And upsets are sweet. Good luck guys :)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Habs regular-season record versus Carolina, Islanders, Flyers, Penguins, Blues, leafs, Vegas, and Capitals:
14 - 3 - 4

The habs were good against a lot of top teams

It's one of the most bizarre seasons I've ever seen, and that's without even getting into the covid pandemic.

Comfortably in the playoffs for about 3 months. Followed by 2 sets of extreme losing streaks.

Not a bad road record for the most part, but absolutely God awful at home.

You mention the record against some successful teams, yet they only managed 1 win against new Jersey and Detroit combined.... And that one win was in OT or shootout if I remember correctly.

At the end of the day though, we look at this roster, and it's so obvious that a gambreaker is lacking. The good record against good teams is commendable in a way, but it's also a mirage.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
That goalie actually won them 2 Stanley Cups in recent years. Not sure the skaters are that skeptical about him though. I understand very well the hesitation from their coach.
Perhaps so, but this past year, Jarry outplayed him by a significant margin. Jarry was at least equal to Price this past season. Meanwhile, Murray was diminished in relation to his former level. It needed a courageous decision from the coach, given Murray's pedigree from previous seasons, and most coaches are conservative and risk-averse.

If I were in his shoes, I would have opted for Jarry, and I wrote that early on.

I followed him closely, as I picked him up on my one of my 3 fantasy teams (I go with 4 goalies in leagues that value that position). Fantasy hockey is one of my affectations as an expat.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs made some good line adjustments that could bode well for closing out this series.

I am not sure Pitt is a better team at this juncture. This Habs team resembles last season's 96 point team

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
The cliché Montréal Media up to their usual tricks.

Comparing Weber, Petry and Chiarot to "The Big 3" of Robinson, Savard and Lapointe

Smdh....

Always gotta get nostalgic and put undo pressure on players
It's pretty sad they think Chiarot is our 3rd best d-men when he at most is our 5th best d-man (Petry, Weber, Mete and Kulak all being better)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad