GDT: GAME #4: DEVILS @ LEAFS | WED 11-OCT @ 7:30 PM ACC | SPORTSNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Once again I'm gonna have to miss the game, but we're 3-0 so far, so perhaps the hockey gods don't want me to watch the games.

C'est la vie, Go Leafs!

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
And clearly Mike Babcock thinks that Leivo does not make the team better. We know Babcock's background and qualifications. What are the backgrounds and qualifications of those who think he is wrong?
You're saying that if Babcock played Nylander in goal, we could not question him because he's more qualified than us. Think about that for a second, your argument is just an appeal to authority.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
And clearly Mike Babcock thinks that Leivo does not make the team better. We know Babcock's background and qualifications. What are the backgrounds and qualifications of those who think he is wrong?

Then there is no point in discussion then. I don't think there is anything wrong with disagreeing with him. It's just voicing an opinion and isn't it the point of this forum? I don't have to have same qualifications as him to disagree with him.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Because there's always room for improvement? To maintain value of an asset? So that if there is an injury in the top 9, he's not potentially coming in cold? It makes no sense to bury him in the pressbox after a strong pre-season, especially against speedy teams where Martin is only playing 5 mins.

Literally every team has fringe NHLers. Leivo's value isnt very high

While I agree to the extent that I don't think it's a huge issue, being good is not a reason to not get better.

Obviously Babcock doesnt think he makes us better.

I get that people want him to replace Martin, but its not going to happen. Martin brings a totally different element then Leivo, and nothing Leivo can do will supplant Martin.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016

Wow you're intense. Im a huge believer in Babs but to think he's infallible and we cannot even discus options if they go against his actions seems a little much. Hard to know if Leivo would work until he's tried out for a period of time. Also his tryouts so far have looks really really good.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm just a guy who thinks Babcock has been wrong before and may be wrong again in the future. Call me crazy.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Literally every team has fringe NHLers. Leivo's value isnt very high

Obviously Babcock doesnt think he makes us better.

I get that people want him to replace Martin, but its not going to happen. Martin brings a totally different element then Leivo, and nothing Leivo can do will supplant Martin.
Did all these fringe NHLers have 10 points in 13 games last season? Shouldn't our organization strive to maximize the value of its players on the market?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Carrick isn't back tonight?

Also, anyone wanna place bets on how long before Hischier scores his 1st nhl goal tonight?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Can we just trade Leivo already, so this forum stops thinking he can fill Martin's role, JVR's role, (Insert name here) role?

**Spoiler alert** The guy is a depth guy. I like him plenty, but he's not taken anyone's job since being here. It says a lot.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think Freddy is going to be top notch tonight. He had a good game against the Jets (especially given all their PP's), but hasn't had a game yet where he is just unbeatable. Hopefully we see it tonight, and a solid game from our D.

Also, Matthews and Marner are due for big nights on the scoresheet. I think Matthews gets more than one and Marner gets a few points.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I bet there are 20 odd teams that could use this "fringe" player. Don't let our plethora of offensive players fool you, Leivo is a FIRM top 9 on many teams in this league.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You're saying that if Babcock played Nylander in goal, we could not question him because he's more qualified than us. Think about that for a second, your argument is just an appeal to authority.

Its funny. There is a Swedish goaltender named William Nylander.
He's not very good.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Can we just trade Leivo already, so this forum stops thinking he can fill Martin's role, JVR's role, (Insert name here) role?

**Spoiler alert** The guy is a depth guy. I like him plenty, but he's not taken anyone's job since being here. It says a lot.

Thank you.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Once again I'm gonna have to miss the game, but we're 3-0 so far, so perhaps the hockey gods don't want me to watch the games.

C'est la vie, Go Leafs!

Yeah I have missed the first 3 games- I gave up my center ice (bad timing). Anyway maybe I just need to either miss all the games or sign up again as I feel like I am missing an epic season.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Did all these fringe NHLers have 10 points in 13 games last season? Shouldn't our organization strive to maximize the value of its players on the market?

Lower tier scoring wingers are not that valuable. The organization is striving to win hockey games. That takes precedence over the trade value of bottom 6 NHL players.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that's my wish.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

All it says is that we have insane depth up front when a guy with his numbers at the NHL level can't even crack the lineup.

He's a legit top 9 NHL forward. He'll either prove it in Toronto or somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad