GDT: GAME #4: DEVILS @ LEAFS | WED 11-OCT @ 7:30 PM ACC | SPORTSNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Hey Leaf Fans, sens fan coming in peace. Disappointed your games are not always available here because I think your team is worth watching these days.

I was checking your team stats and noticed the shooting % after 3 games..

8 are 20% or better
4 are 10% or better
1 is > 0%
6 are at 0%

That is hilarious! Good luck tonight!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
No Leivo. 4mins of Martin, predict 2 hits and across the board blanks

Martin is there to keep all the kids safe.

Lievo isnt going to drop the gloves if matthews gets knee on knee or nylander gets boarded...

Reactions: dsred

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hey Leaf Fans, sens fan coming in peace. Disappointed your games are not always available here because I think your team is worth watching these days.

I was checking your team stats and noticed the shooting % after 3 games..

8 are 20% or better
4 are 10% or better
1 is > 0%
6 are at 0%

That is hilarious! Good luck tonight!

It might be slightly concerning but the Leafs are also 3rd in the league in shot attempts and lead the league is xGoals/60. So even when shooting percentages inevitably drop, their scoring will still probably be top 5 or possibly top 3.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Martin is there to keep all the kids safe.

Lievo isnt going to drop the gloves if matthews gets knee on knee or nylander gets boarded...

Nah we've got Borgman now. Our new enforcer!
But yeah Martin is our answer to anything chippy so really needs to be a soft team if we sit him.....not sure about NJD

His play so far has me very impressed in his limited ice time this year

Reactions: BVG

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Nah we've got Borgman now. Our new enforcer!
But yeah Martin is our answer to anything chippy so really needs to be a soft team if we sit him.....not sure about NJD

His play so far has me very impressed in his limited ice time this year

I have been impressed with his play so far. But leivo is 24 isnt he? He’s over due to earning a spot on the leafs.

Reactions: Lauro

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Once again, Only Leafs fans are going to cry all season about a 4th line winger playing games over another 4th line winger. It's pretty funny. I guess it means that the team is just that good that there is nothing else to cry over.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

TheFuturist

Jul 2, 2010
Toronto, ON
Excited for the game tonight! Always fun getting to see the recent 1st overall pick. This will be the first time I really watch him in an NHL game, so looking forward to that.

It was nice hearing Babcock point out that this is a potential trap game. It means he's relayed the message to our boys to make sure they're up to the task. And there shouldn't be any excuses for not showing up, it's only the 4th game of the season.

My gut tells me this team will not fall victim to trap games anywhere near as often as we have all come accustomed to in the past. These kids just seem like they're never satisfied, they always want to be better, and it's one of their best qualities.

Cheers to an entertaining game, and hopefully another Leafs W!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's actually a bit hard to stomach that once again everyone gets rotated in except Leivo. I get it in one sense, but I'd sit Martin for a game and give Josh some reps, just to keep him fresh.

Agreed.

Actually, what is hard to stomach is the Leivo lovers who, like the Hyman haters, just go on and on about the same thing. It all boils down to "Wah. Wah. Mike Babcock isn't doing what I want. I'm going to go cry on the Internet". Personally, I'd like to see just one of these posters outline why their opinion in this matter should be taken over Babcock's.

I was thinking about how to respond to this but then I saw this:

Is it ironic that your post sounds ssssoooooo whiny? Lol

And it is the perfect response IMO.

Once again, Only Leafs fans are going to cry all season about a 4th line winger playing games over another 4th line winger. It's pretty funny. I guess it means that the team is just that good that there is nothing else to cry over.

So expressing an opinion is crying. Got it.

Excited for the game tonight! Always fun getting to see the recent 1st overall pick. This will be the first time I really watch him in an NHL game, so looking forward to that.

It was nice hearing Babcock point out that this is a potential trap game. It means he's relayed the message to our boys to make sure they're up to the task. And there shouldn't be any excuses for not showing up, it's only the 4th game of the season.

My gut tells me this team will not fall victim to trap games anywhere near as often as we have all come accustomed to in the past. These kids just seem like they're never satisfied, they always want to be better, and it's one of their best qualities.

Cheers to an entertaining game, and hopefully another Leafs W!

Yeah 1st overall pick, definitely interesting. And yeah, showing up, we gotta do that. Come to play every single night, really hope that becomes our rep. Tonight is one small step in that direction. Winning isn't even the most important thing, just show up, play hard, do that every night and the wins take care of themselves.

Reactions: Lauro

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Devils are 2-0.

upload_2017-10-11_18-12-19.png

Only 3 GA.

The Canadiens have 5 goals in 4 games. -8. Ouchy.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

Maybe because one of the two is a potential 2nd line winger?

member 262271

I think his potential extends beyond the 4th line too, but not on this team. There just isn't any room, so if I were to complain about anything it would be that the leafs should trade him elsewhere where there is room. Makes me think about Leipsic - I just couldn't see him getting the opportunity while he was here. I sure do miss him though, nice to see him pot two assists last night.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Sure he is, Brown is a potential 1st line winger and look where he is in the lineup. There is literally no room in the line up right now. Leivo provides nothing that the Leafs need, Martin provides something even if we feel it's useless, and he's actually been good so far this season.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
We're 3 and 0 and have scored 19 goals.

Why exactly do we need Josh Leivo?
Because there's always room for improvement? To maintain value of an asset? So that if there is an injury in the top 9, he's not potentially coming in cold? It makes no sense to bury him in the pressbox after a strong pre-season, especially against speedy teams where Martin is only playing 5 mins.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
ya because NJ played the Sabres and Colorado thus far..so early in the season.

as I have said before, hopefully the guys bring it tonight, because NJ has some serious skill and speed (not the Blackhawks talent level but still).

Leivo and Martin; Leivo will only play if someone plays there way out of the lineup or there is an injury to a winger. We have so much offense already up and down the lineup. When Brown is your 4th line winger you know you have some elite talent. To echo other people here. Martin brings size, grit, and the "policemen," theory. You do need a guy like that. Plus for a bigger brute, he isnt that bad offensively. He is not a Chris Neil, but he also is not a Colton Orr. Our lineup is just fine. The only thing I think we could benefit from right now is an upgrade on Carrick (RHD). I mean if the swedes keep it up, maybe not, still would be nicer I think to have a good solid 3rd pairing RHD. Then you pick between Borg and Rosey. To be honest, (yet again)I think Borgman wins. He is such a beast, very confident, he has even made a couple dashes with the puck and go us either deep in the O-zone or shot on net. Rielly hardly does that and he is supposed to (this year should be more so with Hainsey). Rosen is good, but I feel that if it is a harder hitting, fore-check game he rushes and makes poor plays. Borgman is human (half lol) and way more often then his swedish compatriot, takes that extra second to make the best play. Either one I dont really care as they both are good. I just think we have a guy(s) like Rosen with us, and we are missing a beast-mode guy on the back end. If Babcock really likes big guys, and responsible, also a good mix of talents (guys bringing different things to table), Borgman has my vote.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016

lol not crying just hate to see a guy that could be playing stuck in the press box. As someone else mentioned it'd be nice to keep him game ready with a few chance here and there. My biggest issue is his development; hate to see a youngish guy sitting around not playing during the years he really needs to make an impression to someone. Great insurance for the leafs but not great for him. Id like us all to win.

but agree with it being awesome this is main concern lol (gives a break from the hyman complaints too!)

Reactions: LeafsNation149

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
While I agree to the extent that I don't think it's a huge issue, being good is not a reason to not get better.

And clearly Mike Babcock thinks that Leivo does not make the team better. We know Babcock's background and qualifications. What are the backgrounds and qualifications of those who think he is wrong?

Reactions: LeafsNation149
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad