GDT: Game 4: Coyotes @ Avalanche: Still Too Soon to Tell; Saturday 7 PM MST (or 9am Sunday GMT+8)

Which former Av will have a bigger impact?

• Total voters

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Was too drunk to watch last night. Hell, I might've been in this thread. I don't know. But it was a nice result to wake up to. Glad to see Kadri got one, very glad to see that Burakovsky got the OT winner.
4-0 to start the year ain't bad.

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Try again.

Kadri has been really good for us with the exception of the Bruins game. Furthermore, comparing one guy who gets the toughest assignments and Kerfoot is asinine. And quite frankly I have no idea how you can say Kadri wasn't good in his role.

Well you're trying to make the argument about points. I'm just saying, Kadri has been a non factor up until last night while Kerfoot has been contributing pretty consistently for the Leafs. Also, Kadri does not getting the toughest assignments. Don't make things up.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well you're trying to make the argument about points. I'm just saying, Kadri has been a non factor up until last night while Kerfoot has been contributing pretty consistently for the Leafs. Also, Kadri does not getting the toughest assignments. Don't make things up.

You realize there's more ways to contribute than by scoring points? Or is that an alien concept?

Reactions: Koolboss

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I don't understand why this Kerfoot convo is getting you so riled up. I think Kadri will settle in but to start the season he hasn't been very good. He's gotten nearly 60% offensive zone starts and the play has been dying on his stick pretty consistently. There also seems to be a lack of effort in general.

Reactions: wayninja

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I wasn't able to watch the game. But that hit Makar threw was awesome. Sounds like he played a good game.

Sounds like Mackinnon isn't hitting the same stride as last year so far. It'll be scary once he plays really good.

One thing i'll say is I don't think Kadri should be on the 1st pp unit... 1 goal in 4 games, on what should be one of the most deadly power play lines in the league.

I haven't watched many of the games as i've been busy. But from what i've noticed he hasn't been that annoying in your face pest, which is what we need from him.
You stated you haven't watched the games... You should because kadri has been playing good. It's very unlikely any player will join a new team and dominate their first 3 games in. Especially playing with bottom 6 players. He absolutely belongs in the first pp unit as well.

Reactions: Babel Salamander

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm fine with giving him a few more games in that slot, but if he isn't performing after 10 games on the 1st power play unit and we had tremendous success with Landeskog, Rantanen and Mackinnon last year. I don't see the point of keeping him on that line just to win draws when it doesn't result to anything on the scoreboard.

Okay. Who do you put in that slot then? Wilson again?

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
You stated you haven't watched the games... You should because kadri has been playing good. It's very unlikely any player will join a new team and dominate their first 3 games in. Especially playing with bottom 6 players. He absolutely belongs in the first pp unit as well.
He's not a bottom 6 player, he's playing in our top 6 and getting 1st pp line minutes. i said i haven't watched much of the games but from what i've seen he hasn't been doing what we want from him. Which is an in your face playstyle

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Fake tough guy Oliver again did nothing after coming in hot.
I wonder what he said to him. Again, I love that the stick right behind them in the OEL clip is Zadorov’s.

I was thinking last night, before Kadri scored, how different would this team look without him. It would be so disappointing going another year of just having the top line. Kadri is also unreal on faceoffs, and it’s really helping the PP start with possession.

Reactions: Koolboss

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Kadri seems to be pretty polarizing. I think he had a pretty good game last night, but up until then hasn't not been playing up to par with where we need him to be. He's has some individual flashes, but that lone wolf attitude has also cost a lot of opportunity (IMO). He's a good player, so even when he isn't playing well, he's still pretty decent, so I'm not trying to suggest the guy is trash, just that up until last night he just simply hasn't produced what we need from him (other than his FO %, which is a godsend).

Right now, Barrie is looking way more effective (and even Kerfy). I don't expect that to stand up the rest of the season, and hopefully last night was a turning point, but it just seems like some people are in love with the potential than the production thusfar.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
“Counting the 10 playoff games he played for the Avs this past spring, Makar’s all-time NHL stat line looks like this: 14 GP, 1 G, 10 A, 11 pts.”

From Dater’s article.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Kale-shortage-Not-likely-supplier-says_wrbm_large.jpg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Also great to see Kadri get on the board. He's played very well so far despite not producing and you could tell after scoring that one last night that it was a big relief for him.

The fact we are 4-0 right now is pretty damn impressive. Because to be honest with you I've been quite disappointed with Mack so far. He's forcing things way too much, getting frustrated on the ice and the effort level defensively hasn't been where it needs to be either.

The entire top line for that matter has kind of been mostly meh so far. Especially on even strength where I dont think they've had a truly high end game like they're capable of yet. And yet as I say this Mikko and Mack are both humming along to a 1.5 PPG after the home stretch.

Once the top line really gets going 5 on 5 again.... look out. Cause we have noticeably much stronger depth this year than in the last 2 years already. We have 4 lines that are a legit threat to score each shift. Especially from the 4th line that's something we haven't gotten in a very long time.

Also think Makar has struggled a bit as well. He has 5 assists in 4 games but 3 of those assists were freebies from Mack/Mikko on the PP. I'd like to see him start focusing more on simply getting his shots through instead of trying to score on them. Especially on the PP he has struggled with that. But we saw it last night that both of his assists came off simple low wrist shots that made it to the front of the net. That was what made Barrie so effective for us last year was his ability to get shots through. Not always a hard shot but a shot that reaches the net is always more dangerous than a shot that gets blocked by the first defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad