GDT: Game 4: Colorado Avalanche(2-0-0) @ Seattle Kraken(0-2-1) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Sure. We could use more skill on the team, but we are worse than where we should be given our roster. That is on the coaching.

I will be honest, while I enjoyed last year's playoff run, I was really concerned about us falling flat this season and Hakstol not being on the hot seat because he took us to the playoffs.

If we are going to suck, then let's stay bottom 5 and at least get some picks for it. I hate taking a step back but would rather be in the bottom-5 than middling in the 13-15 range and just miss the playoffs.
That's been my biggest issue with Kraken management. They seem focused on building a middle of the road team, which is a bizarre approach. Either go big and try to win now, or tank for the kind of picks that will get you to a Stanley Cup on a 5-7 year horizon.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That's been my biggest issue with Kraken management. They seem focused on building a middle of the road team, which is a bizarre approach. Either go big and try to win now, or tank for the kind of picks that will get you to a Stanley Cup on a 5-7 year horizon.

I think the expansion draft basically forces you to go with a deep team without stars.
I also doubt the ownership group spend over $2 billion(team, NHL arena, AHL arena, practise rink etc.) to wait for five to seven years before being a good team.

This season will be interesting cause if the team doesn't start winning soon they might be out of the playoff race(or a realistic chance for them) by Christmas and then Francis might have to make some decisions on this roster depending offers coming in.

Of course, if the team does turn it around it could also be the other way around and Francis looking for a big name to add to the current roster.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think the expansion draft basically forces you to go with a deep team without stars.
I also doubt the ownership group spend over $2 billion(team, NHL arena, AHL arena, practise rink etc.) to wait for five to seven years before being a good team.

This season will be interesting cause if the team doesn't start winning soon they might be out of the playoff race(or a realistic chance for them) by Christmas and then Francis might have to make some decisions on this roster depending offers coming in.

Of course, if the team does turn it around it could also be the other way around and Francis looking for a big name to add to the current roster.
I don't really think you can blame the expansion draft. Yeah, the expansion draft was set up so that we couldn't poach other teams elite players nor could we steal their prospect pools. On the other hand, there were "damaged goods" and "overpriced names" available. Francis avoided them. So we were left with taking a lot of younger veterans on their "show me" contracts. A roster full of 2nd and 3rd liners on both offense and defense. That sets one up for having a good, deep roster with some experience.

And year 1, we sold at the deadline to strengthen the prospect pool, etc. Last year we surprised people and won games.

Going into a Sabres like rebuild "cycle" just didn't happen in 2 years. :sarcasm:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really hope Francis doesn't believe that those picks are going to produce all the game changers you need.

I agree, he should also be exploring trade and FA to get elite players. ;)

I mean, so far Beniers looks solid, but the jury's still out on Wright while the other guys were drafted at #20 or in rounds 2 - 7.
I'm absolutely rooting for all of those guys but realistically a good number of them might not even make it to the NHL or stay all that long within the league.

Most guys after pick 20 don't make it, but a surprising number of top line players in this league weren't even first rounders. We need to connect on a home run swing and it's not far fetched.

Also, please don't ever go out and spend huge on free agents. 99% those contracts aren't worth it, at all.

Judging by the Dumo signing, maybe our FO can't be trusted to do this right. Pens fans put it bluntly about his play all last year, it makes me wonder how signings like that can happen, and how they assess the player.

On the other hand, there are FAs who provide more value than your typical high draft pick would. Even really old guys like Pavelski (or back in the day Ray Whitney) can put up elite performances.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Regarding our prospect pool producing game cħangers is concerned, I am certainly not sold on Wright becoming one, mainly because of the way he plays offense. I currently see his ceiling as a really good defensive 2C at 55-60 points a season. Maybe he gets better than that, but remains to be seen.

Sounds like a really valuable player. With a strong center lineup, even if none are super elite, I think you can have a top team. Of course a lot else will have to go right: strong PP, defense, goaltending. Speaking of the PP, I think Shane has the attributes to make a big difference there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Well it looks like you'll be more happy with this season.

I hope we don't get overexcited for a top 5 pick again, this draft isn't that great.

But with that pick and a couple rental picks, maybe even a couple more late 1sts (Ebs, Gourde?), it adds up.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well it looks like you'll be more happy with this season.

I hope we don't get overexcited for a top 5 pick again, this draft isn't that great.

But with that pick and a couple rental picks, maybe even a couple more late 1sts (Ebs, Gourde?), it adds up.
I am certainly not moving Gourde. But if we move Eberle or Wennberg, I care more about flipping the picks for immediate help next year (in the offseason), than investing in more prospects.
Sounds like a really valuable player. With a strong center lineup, even if none are super elite, I think you can have a top team. Of course a lot else will have to go right: strong PP, defense, goaltending. Speaking of the PP, I think Shane has the attributes to make a big difference there.
Never said he was not valuable. Just that I don't see him as a game changer.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad